Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 12:50:26 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 [1087] 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032126 times)
thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:08:11 AM

Antonopoulos is out of his mind suggesting the current hashing power of the network is enough to secure a $1T Bitcoin market cap

I didn't watch but I agree with him in principle.  You can't steal coins with 51% only block service.  So the only entity who would waste the kind of $ to 51pct is governments.  But governments would simply legislate the problem away not waste 100 millions to build up hash.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"Your bitcoin is secured in a way that is physically impossible for others to access, no matter for what reason, no matter how good the excuse, no matter a majority of miners, no matter what." -- Greg Maxwell
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1006

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:57:21 AM

Caveat:  SHA256 broken==blockchain corrupted--your BTC transferred ta hax0r's wallet--irreversible.  You can hardfork the ashes all you want, your money's gone.  Poof!  Fini.
You need to work in your FUD.

Your scenario is less incorrect for ECDSA than it's incorrect for SHA256.
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568
Merit: 1002

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:05:32 AM

Caveat:  SHA256 broken==blockchain corrupted--your BTC transferred ta hax0r's wallet--irreversible.  You can hardfork the ashes all you want, your money's gone.  Poof!  Fini.

lol

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
▄█████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
▀█████████████████████████▀
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:24:27 AM

lol

Dude! Been waiting for you to show up! Did you actually produce this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cIasr2AiyZ0
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
March 08, 2015, 05:48:07 AM

Gold will exist in 20 years, BTC not sure

But what will the value of gold be in 20 years?

The immutable value of shiny gold in 20 years will be the same as 1000 or 2000 years ago.

It will get you food, clothing, shelter, and intimate companionship.

Gold is proof of work, being born in a quasar or other extreme cosmic event.

SHA256 and ECC will be broken and forgotten long before we can duplicate the power of a supernova.

If you really think SHA256 will be broken, then you should be buying lead (bullets) and not gold. The entire financial network of the world is built on that encryption, ATMs, SWIFT, ACH, everything.  If SHA256 gets hacked, it's the Mad max scenario and we will all have much bigger problems than bitcoin. Besides, we can migrate the blockchain over to SHA512 with a hard fork a heluva lot easier that the bank's 40 YO computer networks can upgrade. Perhaps you remember what a clusterfuck it was to fix the Y2K bug in 1999.

I didn't say SHA will be broken anytime soon.  I only said that SHA will be broken and forgotten long before we have can harness the power of supernovas to create gold.

I expect SHA to be broken within 100 years.  Bulk transmutation of heavy elements will take at least another 100 because we'll need zero-point energy for power.

Regardless, you should be buying lead AND gold, not one or the other.  They are complimentary goods!   Cool

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:15:37 AM

Antonopoulos is out of his mind suggesting the current hashing power of the network is enough to secure a $1T Bitcoin market cap

Is there a link to this somewhere?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIgjogLipvk

@brg444, I took AA's point to be that btc has been under attack since its inception from a range of global players and it is yet to be broken; hence the currency may be $10000 or $100, the encryption is still yet to be cracked? Care to ELI5 differently?
kodtycoon
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 01:51:05 PM

lol

lol no.. Cheesy saw when it had like 2 views and I just thought shit more people need to see this lol yeah I am highly involved in an alt but that video is gold regardless!! Lol

▄▄██████▄
         ▄▄████████████
   ▄▄█████████▀▀   ▀████
 ▄███████████▄      ████
████▀   ▀▀██████▄▄▄████
████      ▄███████████▄
▀████▄▄▄████████▀▀▀████▄
 ▀███████████▀      ████
 ████▀▀▀██████▄▄   ▄███▀
████      ▀███████████▀
████▄   ▄▄█████████▀▀
 ████████████▀▀
  ▀██████▀▀
█████████████████

███

██████████

██████

███████████

███████████████

███████████████████
█████████████████

███   

██████████

██████   

███████████

███████████████   

███████████████████
██████▀███████▀   ▀▀▀▄█████
█████▌  ▀▀███▌       ▄█████

████▀               █████
█████▄              ███████
██████▄            ████████
███████▄▄        ▄█████████
█████▄▄       ▄████████████
██████████████████▀▀███████
█████████████▀▀▀    ███████

███████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ███████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
█████████▌▐       █████████
██████████ ▄██▄  ██████████
████████████████▄██████████
███████▀           ▀███████
██████  ▄██▀▀▀▀▀█▀▄  ██████

█████  █▀  ▄▄▄  ▀█  █████
██████  █  █████  █  ██████
██████  █▄  ▀▀▀  ▄█  ██████
██████  ▀██▄▄▄▄▄██▀  ██████
███████▄           ▄███████
██████████▀█████▀██████████
███████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀███████

█████▌             ▐█████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
██████▄  ▄▄▄   ▄▄▄  ▄██████
████████▄▄███████▄▄████████
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:17:24 PM

lol

lol no.. Cheesy saw when it had like 2 views and I just thought shit more people need to see this lol yeah I am highly involved in an alt but that video is gold regardless!! Lol

Lol, that video is on par with Hitler, maybe even better. Whoever made that has great timing and nuance. Couldn't stop laughing  myself!
NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 02:35:13 PM

Caveat:  SHA256 broken==blockchain corrupted--your BTC transferred ta hax0r's wallet--irreversible.  You can hardfork the ashes all you want, your money's gone.  Poof!  Fini.

FUD?  Simply replying to a redneck fireman from the sticks fellow Bitcoin intellectual & international financier, Billy Jo.  Mentioned mental giant posits that "SHA256 [being] hacked" would devastate our real financial institutions, while BTCeanie enthusiasts would simply hardfork their scheme to save the day.
If you wish, I could bring up yet another catch:  can't hardfork in real time.  The most recent patch (can't remember, something about 7TPS limit or 21 mil. max coin limit) has been in the works for forever, the one addressing SHA256 haxoring might take a bit longer  Undecided
Pruden

Activity: 496
Merit: 500

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:32:15 PM

Lol, that video is on par with Hitler, maybe even better. Whoever made that has great timing and nuance. Couldn't stop laughing  myself!
As a Spaniard, I approve of this video. It's especially funny to someone who knows Risitas, who more than a comedian is a teller of personal anecdotes as miserable as they are funny.

P.S: Now I notice Risitas has become a meme, damn, I thought this video was one of a kind. No such thing on the net, I guess.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 06:46:06 PM

As a Spaniard, I approve of this video. It's especially funny to someone who knows Risitas, who more than a comedian is a teller of personal anecdotes as miserable as they are funny.

P.S: Now I notice Risitas has become a meme, damn, I thought this video was one of a kind. No such thing on the net, I guess.

Given the misery of the Spanish economy since 2008, i can imagine he's had plenty of material.
Hfleer

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Changing avatars is currently not possible.

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:32:47 PM

Caveat:  SHA256 broken==blockchain corrupted--your BTC transferred ta hax0r's wallet--irreversible.  You can hardfork the ashes all you want, your money's gone.  Poof!  Fini.

lol

It really is. Spot on description. Cripti and Sys must be celebrationg that video Cheesy

█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
▓▓▓▓▓  BIT-X.comvvvvvvvvvvvvvvi
→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
tvbcof
Legendary

Activity: 4564
Merit: 1276

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 07:54:15 PM

Caveat:  SHA256 broken==blockchain corrupted--your BTC transferred ta hax0r's wallet--irreversible.  You can hardfork the ashes all you want, your money's gone.  Poof!  Fini.

FUD?  Simply replying to a redneck fireman from the sticks fellow Bitcoin intellectual & international financier, Billy Jo.  Mentioned mental giant posits that "SHA256 [being] hacked" would devastate our real financial institutions, while BTCeanie enthusiasts would simply hardfork their scheme to save the day.
If you wish, I could bring up yet another catch:  can't hardfork in real time.  The most recent patch (can't remember, something about 7TPS limit or 21 mil. max coin limit) has been in the works for forever, the one addressing SHA256 haxoring might take a bit longer  Undecided

Real problems tend to be resolved with remarkable speed.  The BDB mis-config was a classic example and was actually quite impressive.  How fast a similar thing would happen today is not clear, but it remains the case that genuine problems are rapidly addressable.

In the case of the transaction rate, things are much slower because a decent percent of the players (including myself) consider some of the leading proposals to address the 'problem' to be an attack on the system and one which will sink it.  And we don't want to see that happen.  WRT the 21 mil, even stating that as a problem demonstrates some combination of ignorance and deceit (and worse still, a lack of a developed sense of humor.)  There is a real problem here, but if you don't mention undependable outputs it shows a lack of understanding and rigor.

Hopefully we can get to a point where core Bitcoin can simply freeze in a know working state and provide support to a multitude of sidechains.  This will protect Bitcoin core against unintended development failures and preserve it in a form where hard-fork resolutions to severe problems are resolvable with similar effectiveness of the BDB issue.  One of the many advantages of this would be that many sidechain economies could move on relatively unimpeded while any potential core Bitcoin issues were resolved.  That is a key advantage of the right balance of abstraction in system design.

sig spam anywhere and self-moderated threads on the pol&soc board are for losers.
bracek

Activity: 530

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 10:14:19 PM

another one Smiley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCR3722ACTI
Wandererfromthenorth

Activity: 742

View Profile
March 08, 2015, 11:41:24 PM
Last edit: March 08, 2015, 11:57:58 PM by Wandererfromthenorth

http://sidazhang.com/3-reasons-why-bitcoin-wont-be-the-new-internet/

Some valid points in there.
Hfleer

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:05:45 AM

There seems to be consensus among some people that Gavin's scaling proposition would make the bitcoin network a lot less secure.

https://twitter.com/petertoddbtc/status/574582759508873216

Same with Mircea Popescu (who declared war to Gavin if his solution happens) and some other folks.

Well Mirceas war declaration isn't a big reason as he is offended fast. But Peter Todd has a good point. Security is the most important point and everything needs to be discussed before taking any step at all.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:23:37 AM

There seems to be consensus among some people that Gavin's scaling proposition would make the bitcoin network a lot less secure.

Same with Mircea Popescu (who declared war to Gavin if his solution happens) and some other folks.

So the author doesn't think Bitcoin can solve the mining / tx fee issue without the price jumping, tx's increasing or hashing power rocketing. Fair enough, it's an ongoing debate in a live, global, experiment.

I dont know why critiques are always being so binary; it cant take over all retail, cant do this right now, will never adapt to that.... I don't think it ever was intended to take out all retail. I think it will exist as an option for those so inclined, much because that is what it is in all areas - an alternative. Birthed from the ashes of a financial meltdown and the biggest economic experiment in history (QE), it's whether people see the merit in it or not (and their ability to see it or not is a whole other discussion).
sgbett
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:30:09 AM

The discussion will surely happen, but in the meantime everyone else will focus on the poop being flung by all the monkeys that aren't a part of that committee (I include myself!) heh

"A purely peer-to-peer version of electronic cash would allow online payments to be sent directly from one party to another without going through a financial institution" - Satoshi Nakamoto
*my posts are not investment advice*
Hfleer

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:34:08 AM

The discussion will surely happen, but in the meantime everyone else will focus on the poop being flung by all the monkeys that aren't a part of that committee (I include myself!) heh

I think that controversy is good to raise awareness. Even if this might hurt the "imgae" of the developer team and BTC in general, the overall effect in the end will be very positive.

→ CREATE ACCOUNT 
▓▓▓▓▓
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 09, 2015, 12:56:36 AM

So the author doesn't think Bitcoin can solve the mining / tx fee issue without the price jumping, tx's increasing or hashing power rocketing. Fair enough, it's an ongoing debate in a live, global, experiment.

I dont know why critiques are always being so binary; it cant take over all retail, cant do this right now, will never adapt to that.... I don't think it ever was intended to take out all retail. I think it will exist as an option for those so inclined, much because that is what it is in all areas - an alternative. Birthed from the ashes of a financial meltdown and the biggest economic experiment in history (QE), it's whether people see the merit in it or not (and their ability to see it or not is a whole other discussion).

It is also a point that now it can take a share of retail, a share of microtransactions, while these functions might have to be delegated to service companies in the future. It does not matter, it is important that these functions can expand bitcoin in the moment. The expansion can not be balanced, it will go into the areas where bitcoin can make a difference in the moment, then later, it will go into other areas.
Pages: « 1 ... 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 [1087] 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 1122 1123 1124 1125 1126 1127 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: