Bitcoin Forum
March 29, 2024, 01:37:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  
Author Topic: LinuxCoin A lightweight Debian based OS with everything ready to go.  (Read 285056 times)
Smalleyster

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

I yam what I yam. - Popeye

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 08:19:03 PM
Last edit: July 20, 2011, 08:33:01 PM by Smalleyster

Sorry about the bump guys but I'm getting very close to a finished product here and wanted to know if you guys want anything else added to linuxcoin ? Alls left to do is the graphical stuff and a plymouth theme Cheesy So get your requests in now !!!! lol

heres a screenshot of the new version running a secure bitcoin wallet and guiminer rocking phoenix Cheesy This version rules lol

Excellent!

I have been experimenting with simple ways to encrp the wallet file alone and then email it to oneself. It would need to be able to be decrpted easily in Windows. Truecrypt seems way too cumbersome and others are such a hassle to install.

Dumb Question:

Are the secure and unsecure bitcoin clients different wallets?

Feel like investing in a Miner?:
http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=30044.msg377773#msg377773
A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
NoobHowTo: http://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=27088.msg341387#msg341387
Each block is stacked on top of the previous one. Adding another block to the top makes all lower blocks more difficult to remove: there is more "weight" above each block. A transaction in a block 6 blocks deep (6 confirmations) will be very difficult to remove.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 08:23:52 PM

You rock sir!

Not sure I can remember you saying it was added, but the option to reboot into persistence automatically so that when I'm away I can remote reboot and have the system come up automatically.

Thanks again

Trip

You can do it with similar:

Pick RootTerminal

sudo leafpad /live/image/syslinux.cfg

-------------change all to:

default menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title Welcome to LinuxCoin
timeout 100

label linuxcoin
menu label LinuxCoin Persistent (Changes are Saved)
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config quiet splash persistent rw vga=791

label ubnentry0
menu label LinuxCoin Transient (Private Browsing, Nothing is Saved)
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config quiet splash rw vga=791

----------------end of file

I could not either figure out what the other options did, or make them work.

A soup to nuts newbee system for a secure, portable USB wallet (free instructions):
drgr33n (OP)

Activity: 308
Merit: 251

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 08:45:01 PM

Sorry about the bump guys but I'm getting very close to a finished product here and wanted to know if you guys want anything else added to linuxcoin ? Alls left to do is the graphical stuff and a plymouth theme Cheesy So get your requests in now !!!! lol

heres a screenshot of the new version running a secure bitcoin wallet and guiminer rocking phoenix Cheesy This version rules lol

Excellent!

I have been experimenting with simple ways to encrp the wallet file alone and then email it to oneself. It would need to be able to be decrpted easily in Windows. Truecrypt seems way too cumbersome and others are such a hassle to install.

Dumb Question:

This does just encrypt your wallet.dat and you can acces your wallet in windows using FreeOTFE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeOTFE Wink I suppose they are Cheesy the unsecured bitcoin client just opens the bitcoin software as normal the secure bitcoin client moves the wallet over to your encrypted space andsymlinks it back. Once finished it closes the encrypted space so there's no wallet.dat to steal Wink

If you started a secure bitcoin client then tried to access your secure wallet the file wouldn't exist and a new wallet would be created.

Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 20, 2011, 09:17:52 PM

Dumb Question:

This does just encrypt your wallet.dat and you can acces your wallet in windows using FreeOTFE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeOTFE Wink I suppose they are Cheesy the unsecured bitcoin client just opens the bitcoin software as normal the secure bitcoin client moves the wallet over to your encrypted space andsymlinks it back. Once finished it closes the encrypted space so there's no wallet.dat to steal Wink

If you started a secure bitcoin client then tried to access your secure wallet the file wouldn't exist and a new wallet would be created.

This sounds like it might cause a conceptual problem some of my friends have had while using cryptkeeper.

Have you dealt with the issue of: One had a secure wallet encrypted and forgot to open the encrypted file/folder at startup. Then they use bitcoin client that finds no wallet and creates another one. Then they remember to use the encryption and it does not work because the new wallet is in the way. Now it's file manager rename game and they really screw things up! 8^)

Another issue with cryptkeeper; once you make an encrypted folder I have not found a way to change the password. One has to make a new folder...

Jen4538

Activity: 167
Merit: 100

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 09:33:13 PM

where do i change the screen resolution in linuxcoin 0.2b  ?

Jen
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:00:47 PM

Dumb Question:

This sounds like it might cause a conceptual problem some of my friends have had while using cryptkeeper.

Have you dealt with the issue of: One had a secure wallet encrypted and forgot to open the encrypted file/folder at startup. Then they use bitcoin client that finds no wallet and creates another one. Then they remember to use the encryption and it does not work because the new wallet is in the way. Now it's file manager rename game and they really screw things up! 8^)

Another issue with cryptkeeper; once you make an encrypted folder I have not found a way to change the password. One has to make a new folder...

A valid point but if you open unsecured, then open secured after the new created wallet is discarded for the one located in the encrypted space. This is why bitcoin is opened before the script goes ahead and sets up the encryption. What I will do on that note is at something to detect if a wallet already exists and if it does copy it also across to the encrypted space under a new name in case someone has coins on the old wallet.

You can change your passwords using dm-crypt. You can also set more than one password to a file.

where do i change the screen resolution in linuxcoin 0.2b  ?

Jen

Open up a terminal and type.

Code:
lxrandr

And you will be met with a GUI that you can change the resolution.

cyrusfox

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:53:17 PM

Code:
lxrandr

We really need to get this info in the wiki, also how to change the clock to different time zones, so annoying to see the clock always showing the time 6 hours off for me.
drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 10:58:14 PM

Here's the revised bitcoin encrypter script. I havent tested it yet I'm just sat round a friends and decided to type it up quick while I wait for his computer to finish what it's doing Cheesy

Code:
#!/bin/bash
# Bitcoin wallet encrypter
# Zarren Spry <zarren@linuxcoin.co.uk>
# v0.2

# Ask for loop
LOOPDEV=$(zenity --entry --text "Please enter a loop device" --entry-text "/dev/loop7");

# Check for existing wallet in the .bitcoin folder
if [ -f ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat ]; then
  if zenity --question --text="An existing unencrypted wallet found ! Would you like me use this wallet ?."; then
    USE_OLD_WALLET="1"
  else
    if zenity --question --text="The current wallet located in ~/.bitcoin is about to be deleted ! Are you sure ?"; then
      rm ~/bitcoin/wallet.dat
    else
      zenity --info --text="Ok backing up existing wallet."
      USE_OLD_WALLET="0"
  fi
fi

# Start bitcoin
bitcoin -min&

# Check if a wallet already exists and if not create one
if [ -f /.wallet ]; then
sudo losetup $LOOPDEV /.wallet
RAW_PASSWORD=$(zenity --entry --text "Pleas enter your passphrase." --entry-text "Your passphrase here.");  
PASSWORD=$(echo -n $RAW_PASSWORD | sha1sum | cut -d "-" -f 1)
echo $PASSWORD | echo $PASSWORD | sudo cryptsetup luksOpen $LOOPDEV  wallet
sudo mount /dev/mapper/wallet ~/wallet
if [ $USE_OLD_WALLET == "1" ]; then
 sudo mv ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat ~/wallet/wallet$(date "+%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S").dat
 sudo ln -s ~/wallet/wallet$(date "+%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S").dat ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat
elif [ $USE_OLD_WALLET == "0" ]; then
 WALLET_COUNT=0
 for numof in $(ls ~/wallet/wallet); do
   let WALLET_COUNT = WALLET_COUNT+1
 done
 if [ $WALLET_COUNT -gt 2 ]; then
   zenity --info --text "Multiple wallets detected ! Please select a wallet."
   WALLET_FILE=$(zenity --file-selection)
   sudo ln -s ~/wallet/$WALLET_FILE ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat
else
 sudo rm ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat
 sudo ln -s ~/wallet/wallet.dat ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat
fi
        zenity --info --text "Your wallet has been mounted !"
else
# Create wallet
sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/.wallet bs=1024k count=50
mkdir ~/wallet
sudo losetup $LOOPDEV /.wallet
RAW_PASSWORD=$(zenity --entry --text "Pleas enter a passphrase." --entry-text "Your passphrase here.");  
PASSWORD=$(echo -n $RAW_PASSWORD | sha1sum | cut -d "-" -f 1)
echo "YES" | echo $PASSWORD | echo $PASSWORD | sudo cryptsetup luksFormat $LOOPDEV
echo $PASSWORD | echo $PASSWORD | sudo cryptsetup luksOpen $LOOPDEV  wallet
sudo mkfs.ext4 /dev/mapper/wallet
sudo mount /dev/mapper/wallet ~/wallet
if [ $USE_OLD_WALLET == "1" ]; then
 sudo ln -s ~/wallet/wallet$(date "+%Y%m%d-%H:%M:%S").dat ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat
else
 sudo mv ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat ~/wallet
 sudo ln -s ~/wallet/wallet.dat ~/.bitcoin/wallet.dat
fi
        zenity --info --text "Wallet encryption complete ! Your encrypted password is ${PASSWORD}."
fi

# Infinate loop to check if bitcoin is running. If not running clean up files.
while true; do
  check_running=$(pidof bitcoin)
  if [ -z $check_running ]; then
    running="0"
  else
    running="1"
  fi
  if [ $running == "0" ]; then
    sudo umount ~/wallet
    sudo rm ~/./bitcoin/wallet.dat
    sudo cryptsetup luksClose $LOOPDEV  wallet
    losetup -d $LOOPDEV
    break
  else
    sleep 10
  fi
done

Code:
lxrandr

We really need to get this info in the wiki, also how to change the clock to different time zones, so annoying to see the clock always showing the time 6 hours off for me.

Get signed up and add the info !! I agree more people should use the wiki Cheesy

http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Screen_resolution
Math Man

Activity: 150

View Profile
July 20, 2011, 11:51:34 PM

I added a page for changing the time zone in the wiki.
cyrusfox

Activity: 15
Merit: 0

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:18:06 AM

Awesome! Thanks so much, I had spent so long trying to figure it out using instructions for an old version of DBE and it didn't do a thing, that worked instantly! I have been working on the wiki, I did the long entry about OC'ing. I think I am gong to write another one just called Linux Short cuts, all the useful shortcuts I have learned. I am really new to Linux, I know Windows and command line interfaces pretty well, but I am still learning may way through Linux.

Only thing Linux coin is really missing for me is a CPU underclocking utility. Does anyone know of a piece of software I can get on this that will allow me to change the p-state frequencies and voltages of my AM3 CPU. On windows there is PhenomMSRtweaker which works great(allows me to force the processor into lowest p state which is set at 1350Mhz @ .895V)
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 12:41:35 AM

How does one add a page? I just signed up and wanted to post how to change the boot options menu.

I can see and edit existing pages but have no option to add a page that is obvious to me.

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 12:46:47 AM

Awesome! Thanks so much, I had spent so long trying to figure it out using instructions for an old version of DBE and it didn't do a thing, that worked instantly! I have been working on the wiki, I did the long entry about OC'ing. I think I am gong to write another one just called Linux Short cuts, all the useful shortcuts I have learned. I am really new to Linux, I know Windows and command line interfaces pretty well, but I am still learning may way through Linux.

Only thing Linux coin is really missing for me is a CPU underclocking utility. Does anyone know of a piece of software I can get on this that will allow me to change the p-state frequencies and voltages of my AM3 CPU. On windows there is PhenomMSRtweaker which works great(allows me to force the processor into lowest p state which is set at 1350Mhz @ .895V)

LinuxCoin does this automatically using frequency scaling. You can set it to powersave etc but there's no need really because it sets itself accordingly.

How does one add a page? I just signed up and wanted to post how to change the boot options menu.

I can see pages but have no option to add.

You have to type in the url of the page you want to add. For example if I wanted to create a page titled setup_linuxcoin I would type in my address bar.

http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Setup_linuxcoin

And click create.

More news on LinuxCoin 0.2-final I'm just finishing the optimizations to the kernel and I think we are golden. I'll contact the people that asked so they can test then I'll unleash onto the public.

LinuxCoin's kernel is also now optimized for CPU mining too !! Also included hashkill, cgminer with GPU support, sticky notes, secure bitcoin wallet, monit watchdog, updated PXE scripts, optimized pyopencl and lots more. I can't remember the total amount of changes !!
Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 01:03:18 AM

[quote author=cyrusfox link=topic=7374.msg384515#msg384515

You have to type in the url of the page you want to add. For example if I wanted to create a page titled setup_linuxcoin I would type in my address bar.

And click create.
[/quote]

Well that was a failure. I think you assume we are as smart as you. 8^)

There is a now page somewhere in the bowels of the wiki that describes Boot Menu editing.

I'll just wait for pages to exist and make small changes if needed.

drgr33n (OP)

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 01:15:00 AM

[quote author=cyrusfox link=topic=7374.msg384515#msg384515

And click create.

Well that was a failure. I think you assume we are as smart as you. 8^)

There is a now page somewhere in the bowels of the wiki that describes Boot Menu editing.

I'll just wait for pages to exist and make small changes if needed.
[/quote]

LOL I didn't mean actually call your page setup_linuxcoin Cheesy !! If you want your page to be called setup bootmenu you do http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/setup_bootmenu or if you want to create a page called linuxcoin rules http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/linuxcoin_rules

I moved your page here

http://www.linuxcoin.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Edit_bootmenu_to_remove_options

Also if you could preview before you actually commit or I'll be there all day trawling through logs Cheesy
Jen4538

Activity: 167

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 02:05:34 AM

lxrandr

well that showed up but not as a gui as i thought it would .  all it gave was a list of resolutions not to tell me how to change to one of them .   useing root terminal as well

Jen
Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

Activity: 392
Merit: 252

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 07:11:05 PM

You rock sir!

Not sure I can remember you saying it was added, but the option to reboot into persistence automatically so that when I'm away I can remote reboot and have the system come up automatically.

Thanks again

Trip

After you've installed Linuxcoin onto your USB using Unetbootin, open up the windows readable directory and edit syslinux. Change the timeout to 1 and remove all other options other than USB persistence.

Now you will always boot into persistence mode.

~ enjoy

gopher

Activity: 135

View Profile
July 21, 2011, 07:22:03 PM

STEP-BY-STEP HEADLESS LINUXCOIN
A good step-by-step guide for a noob, especially to someone who've tried to figure this magic and as a result, got lost in the sea of inaccurate and incomplete guides, almost the way I did…

INTRODUCTION

After going through number of "How-To's" and "Guides" I've found on the Internet, then reading trough hundred’s of forum pages, I found myself less wiser, tremendously confused, and far from being able to put together this seemingly simple Linux system – LinuxCoin. After a week of sleepless nights, rerading trough cryptic notes of the other (they claimed those to be complete guides), I've finally got it working.

That’s when I decided to compile my own guide, targeting the noobs (like me) with hope that this will safe someone the head-scratching I had to do.

Please note, this guide is based on a certain release of LinuxCoin and most definitely will not be accurate if used with any consecutive releases.

Thanks and gratitude to saving someone time and efforts can be expressed by sending fractions of BTC to 18KusJBxwh4WyV9t72q1WFppwoVxTs2BeB

REQUIREMENTS

Before attempting to build a BTC mining machine, you must ensure that you understand what is required:

1. Account with a mining pool
2. Create miners (a.k.a. workers) – one miner per GPU
3. 64-bit computer system - CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, CASE
4. ATI 4xxx - 6xxx series graphics card(s) – depending on your MOBO, CASE and PSU
5. 4GB USB flash-drive
6. unetbootin-win-549 - download it here
7. linuxcoin-v0.2.1b.iso - download it here
8. live-rw persistent file (2GB) - download it here

CREATE LIVE-ISO ON A USB FLASH-DRIVE

1.   Assemble the 64-BIT computer system, install the cheapest 64-bit CPU you can buy in it, install 2 x 1GB memory sticks (again, cheapest you can find), install the ATI card(s), don't forget to connect the PCI-e power cables, power-it on, set the BIOS to boot from USB and the power option to "last state”

2.   Quick format the USB flash-drive with FAT32, now is the time to label it something meaningful, i.e. LinuxCoin

3.   Using unetbootin, install the live-iso onto the formatted flash-drive, set 128MB for the Ubuntu reboot-files (only if you wondered...)

4.   When finished, don't reboot your PC as unetbootin asks you, instead remove the USB flash-drive, re-insert it, then copy the live-rw persistent file into the root of the USB flash-drive

5.   Now you have the LinuxCoin live-iso ready on the USB flash-drive - it comes pre-loaded with

a.   Latest ATI drivers
b.   Latest ATI SDK
c.   Aticonfig
d.   AMDOverdriveCTRL
e.   Python
f.   Poclbm
g.   Phoenix

All these components pre-installed will make your life so-much-easier and allow you to dive into configuring the system straight away.

You can boot the computer using the freshly loaded USB flash-drive and see if everything loads OK. Don't worry about the error messages you see during the boot - I guess the author of LinuxCoin has had too much on his plate lately to worry about perfection - the truth is this distro works as it is and at the end of the day, it does the job it is designed to do.

The only thing left now is to configure the system to default boot into persistent mode, accept the ATI SDK license (once-off), set the AMDOverdriveCTRL application to clock each card at the desired parameters, write the script needed to start the miner(s) with one command, and set it to start on boot - quite a list of items to do, but the end result justifies it - you will end up with a "headless" LinuxCoin that you can leave unattended.

EDIT CONFIGS AND CREATE .SH FILES

1.   Boot from the newly created USB flash-drive

2.   Select "System Tools" > "ATI SDK License", read it (I mean scroll down until the end), accept it, confirm the registration.

3.   The next few steps will be done through the Terminal window - select "Accessories" > "Root Terminal

4.   Now we will change the syslinux.cfg file so to boot by default into LinuxCoin persistent without the need to select any menu item, aka "headless"

5.   cd /live/image

6.   nano syslinux.cfg

7.   Change the menu title (third line) to something more meaningful like "--- LinuxCoin 0.2.1b ---", replace the section under the "label unetbootdefault" with the one you will find under "label ubnentry2" and then delete the remainder sections - don't worry, you will not need them in the future anyway (you can leave perhaps the memory test menu item…)

Code:
default menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title --- LinuxCoin 0.2.1b ---
timeout 4

label unetbootindefault
menu label --> LinuxCoin (persistent)
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config quiet splash persistent rw vga=791 persistent

label ubnentry0
menu label --> Memory Stress Test (loop)
kernel /isolinux/memtest.bin
append initrd=/ubninit - persistent

8.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

9.   Now we will determine how many active cards (and their IDs) there are in this system before attempting to create the miner's shell script

10.   AMDOverdriveCtrl -i0

11.   Scroll-up and see how many adapters are "active" and note their numbers (i.e. 0,4,8,12) - you will need to insert those numbers info the appropriate "AMDOverdriveCtrl" lines (i.e. i0, i4, i8, i12) in the next script.

12.   Now we will create a script that will overclock the cards and start all your miners with a single shell command

13.   sudo touch /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

14.   sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

15.   sudo nano /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

sudo aticonfig --od-enable

sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i0 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i4 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i8 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i12 &

cd /opt/miners/phoenix/

./phoenix.py -u http://user1:pass1@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=0 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user2:pass2@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=1 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user3:pass3@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=2 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user4:pass4@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=3 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

16.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

17.   Now we will create an auto-start script, one that will start the startminers.sh script at start

18.   sudo touch /home/user/auto.sh

19.   sudo chmod 755 /home/user/auto.sh

20.   sudo nano /home/user/auto.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

xhost +
echo $DISPLAY > /home/user/.display
lxterminal --command "/usr/local/bin/startminers.sh"

21.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

22.   Now we will configure the system to start that "auto.sh" script when the desktop loads

23.   cd /home/user/.config

24.   mkdir autostart

25.   sudo chmod 755 /home/user/.config/autostart

26.   sudo nano /home/user/.config/autostart/auto.desktop

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=coin
Exec=lxterminal --command "/home/user/auto.sh"
Terminal=true

27.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

28.   Now we are ready to tune the Overclocking parameters individually for each card

29.   cd /usr/local/bin

30.   startminers.sh

31.   A terminal session will open and (in this case) four instances of the AMDOverdriveCtrl will open on the desktop - just drag them separate so you can work in each of them.

32.   Select "Overdrive", slide the parameter selectors to your liking (in each Low-Med-High section), when ready, press "Set" and "Save defaults", then move to the next card's AMDOverdriveCtrl instance

33.   With all cards set, the machine is ready - fully configured - if you followed this document to the letter and did not made too many spelling or syntax errors in the shell scripts, the thing should work 100%

34.   Click on the On/Off red button in the bottom-right corner, then select reboot.

35.   Wait for the message that says you need to remove the USB flash-drive (DON'T DO THAT!), then just press "Enter"

That's it - hopefully the machine will boot nicely without requiring any interaction and go straight into mining using the overclocked settings, earning you some BTCs in the process.

Spend them wisely or keep them for a better day – that might just be the best investment you’ve ever made!

If you have any comments, you can find me at the forum.bitcoing.org - I am gopher

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 07:43:12 PM

A good step-by-step guide for a noob, especially to someone who've tried to figure this magic and as a result, got lost in the sea of inaccurate and incomplete guides, almost the way I did…

INTRODUCTION

After going through number of "How-To's" and "Guides" I've found on the Internet, then reading trough hundred’s of forum pages, I found myself less wiser, tremendously confused, and far from being able to put together this seemingly simple Linux system – LinuxCoin. After a week of sleepless nights, rerading trough cryptic notes of the other (they claimed those to be complete guides), I've finally got it working.

That’s when I decided to compile my own guide, targeting the noobs (like me) with hope that this will safe someone the head-scratching I had to do.

Please note, this guide is based on a certain release of LinuxCoin and most definitely will not be accurate if used with any consecutive releases.

Thanks and gratitude to saving someone time and efforts can be expressed by sending fractions of BTC to 18KusJBxwh4WyV9t72q1WFppwoVxTs2BeB

REQUIREMENTS

Before attempting to build a BTC mining machine, you must ensure that you understand what is required:

1. Account with a mining pool
2. Create miners (a.k.a. workers) – one miner per GPU
3. 64-bit computer system - CPU, MOBO, RAM, PSU, CASE
4. ATI 4xxx - 6xxx series graphics card(s) – depending on your MOBO, CASE and PSU
5. 4GB USB flash-drive
6. unetbootin-win-549 - download it here
7. linuxcoin-v0.2.1b.iso - download it here
8. live-rw persistent file (2GB) - download it here

CREATE LIVE-ISO ON A USB FLASH-DRIVE

1.   Assemble the 64-BIT computer system, install the cheapest 64-bit CPU you can buy in it, install 2 x 1GB memory sticks (again, cheapest you can find), install the ATI card(s), don't forget to connect the PCI-e power cables, power-it on, set the BIOS to boot from USB and the power option to "last state”

2.   Quick format the USB flash-drive with FAT32, now is the time to label it something meaningful, i.e. LinuxCoin

3.   Using unetbootin, install the live-iso onto the formatted flash-drive, set 128MB for the Ubuntu reboot-files (only if you wondered...)

4.   When finished, don't reboot your PC as unetbootin asks you, instead remove the USB flash-drive, re-insert it, then copy the live-rw persistent file into the root of the USB flash-drive

5.   Now you have the LinuxCoin live-iso ready on the USB flash-drive - it comes pre-loaded with

a.   Latest ATI drivers
b.   Latest ATI SDK
c.   Aticonfig
d.   AMDOverdriveCTRL
e.   Python
f.   Poclbm
g.   Phoenix

All these components pre-installed will make your life so-much-easier and allow you to dive into configuring the system straight away.

You can boot the computer using the freshly loaded USB flash-drive and see if everything loads OK. Don't worry about the error messages you see during the boot - I guess the author of LinuxCoin has had too much on his plate lately to worry about perfection - the truth is this distro works as it is and at the end of the day, it does the job it is designed to do.

The only thing left now is to configure the system to default boot into persistent mode, accept the ATI SDK license (once-off), set the AMDOverdriveCTRL application to clock each card at the desired parameters, write the script needed to start the miner(s) with one command, and set it to start on boot - quite a list of items to do, but the end result justifies it - you will end up with a "headless" LinuxCoin that you can leave unattended.

EDIT CONFIGS AND CREATE .SH FILES

1.   Boot from the newly created USB flash-drive

2.   Select "System Tools" > "ATI SDK License", read it (I mean scroll down until the end), accept it, confirm the registration.

3.   The next few steps will be done through the Terminal window - select "Accessories" > "Root Terminal

4.   Now we will change the syslinux.cfg file so to boot by default into LinuxCoin persistent without the need to select any menu item, aka "headless"

5.   cd /live/image

6.   nano syslinux.cfg

7.   Change the menu title (third line) to something more meaningful like "--- LinuxCoin 0.2.1b ---", replace the section under the "label unetbootdefault" with the one you will find under "label ubnentry2" and then delete the remainder sections - don't worry, you will not need them in the future anyway (you can leave perhaps the memory test menu item…)

Code:
default menu.c32
prompt 0
menu title --- LinuxCoin 0.2.1b ---
timeout 4

label unetbootindefault
menu label --> LinuxCoin (persistent)
kernel /live/vmlinuz
append initrd=/live/initrd.img boot=live config quiet splash persistent rw vga=791 persistent

label ubnentry0
menu label --> Memory Stress Test (loop)
kernel /isolinux/memtest.bin
append initrd=/ubninit - persistent

8.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

9.   Now we will determine how many active cards (and their IDs) there are in this system before attempting to create the miner's shell script

10.   AMDOverdriveCtrl -i0

11.   Scroll-up and see how many adapters are "active" and note their numbers (i.e. 0,4,8,12) - you will need to insert those numbers info the appropriate "AMDOverdriveCtrl" lines (i.e. i0, i4, i8, i12) in the next script.

12.   Now we will create a script that will overclock the cards and start all your miners with a single shell command

13.   sudo touch /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

14.   sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

15.   sudo nano /usr/local/bin/startminers.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

sudo aticonfig --od-enable

sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i0 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i4 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i8 &
sudo AMDOverdriveCtrl -i12 &

cd /opt/miners/phoenix/

./phoenix.py -u http://user1:pass1@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=0 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user2:pass2@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=1 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user3:pass3@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=2 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

sleep 2

./phoenix.py -u http:// user4:pass4@bitcoins.lc:8080 -k poclbm DEVICE=3 BFI_INT VECTORS AGGRESSION=5 &

16.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

17.   Now we will create an auto-start script, one that will start the startminers.sh script at start

18.   sudo touch /home/user/auto.sh

19.   sudo chmod 755 /home/user/auto.sh

20.   sudo nano /home/user/auto.sh

Code:
#!/bin/bash

xhost +
echo $DISPLAY > /home/user/.display
lxterminal --command "/usr/local/bin/startminers.sh"

21.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

22.   Now we will configure the system to start that "auto.sh" script when the desktop loads

23.   cd /home/user/.config

24.   mkdir autostart

25.   sudo chmod 755 /home/user/.config/autostart

26.   sudo nano /home/user/.config/autostart/auto.desktop

Code:
[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=coin
Exec=lxterminal --command "/home/user/auto.sh"
Terminal=true

27.   "Ctrl+x", "y", "Enter"

28.   Now we are ready to tune the Overclocking parameters individually for each card

29.   cd /usr/local/bin

30.   startminers.sh

31.   A terminal session will open and (in this case) four instances of the AMDOverdriveCtrl will open on the desktop - just drag them separate so you can work in each of them.

32.   Select "Overdrive", slide the parameter selectors to your liking (in each Low-Med-High section), when ready, press "Set" and "Save defaults", then move to the next card's AMDOverdriveCtrl instance

33.   With all cards set, the machine is ready - fully configured - if you followed this document to the letter and did not made too many spelling or syntax errors in the shell scripts, the thing should work 100%

34.   Click on the On/Off red button in the bottom-right corner, then select reboot.

35.   Wait for the message that says you need to remove the USB flash-drive (DON'T DO THAT!), then just press "Enter"

That's it - hopefully the machine will boot nicely without requiring any interaction and go straight into mining using the overclocked settings, earning you some BTCs in the process.

Spend them wisely or keep them for a better day – that might just be the best investment you’ve ever made!

If you have any comments, you can find me at the forum.bitcoing.org - I am gopher

I wish I'd had this guide two weeks ago. Still, good job - and it's a pretty thorough guide for the basics.

I would like to add that, once you have configured your persistent installation how you like it, that it's a REALLY GOOD IDEA to copy the live-rw file BACK onto your windows / other machine for safe keeping. If you run multiple rigs (like I do), it means that you can create the linuxcoin persistent USB, copy over your customized live-rw file, boot your new machine up and make a few simple edits (device IDs, worker info, etc) and be up and running in 5 minutes.

Jonathan Ryan Owens
Donator

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 07:45:05 PM

Running Linuxcoin 2.1.b..

Smalleyster

View Profile WWW
July 21, 2011, 09:38:45 PM

That was brilliant!

Thank you!

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 »
  Print  

Jump to: