Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 06:28:48 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 ... 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 [748] 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 ... 2137 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com  (Read 3049457 times)
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 03:48:41 PM

Or if one adds 12vdc fans to the exhaust of the box, powering with 12v out of the 4 pin molex, even unplugging everything then reassembling, plugging in the external 12vdc fans FIRST would kill any high voltage on that 12 volt rail.  This might not be much help if the power supply has multiple 12 volt rails in which case you'd have to make sure each rail had a fan on before getting attached to the miner.

or just pick up a $3 PSU tester with a screen instead of jumping the pins and let it drain the rails

Yes, but lets get this exploding capacitor problem ended so they can start shipping again.  Does the board have MOVs on the 12v rail?  Not sure how effective at protecting tantalum given the tantalum sensitivity to high voltage and there's the power loss in the MOVs given that you'd want them conducting before the tantalum(s) fry and the closer the MOVs knee to the rail voltage the higher the leakage.  Would that be significant overall?  Probably not.  They'd need add the MOV to the board.  If it's multi-layver they can't just drill a pair of  holes willy-nilly but careful placement of holes drilled, copper surface of rails exposed with scraping, MOV soldered to 12v and ground is a lot of work.  Perhaps a connector, internal, with the MOV installed; unplug power ribbon, insert connector, plug power ribbon(s) into added connector might satisfy insurance people and protect the board.  An exploded capacitor isn't a fire tho it may give off gas that smells like smoke.  

And if you use any of my suggestions and your miner doesn't get an exploded cap, you can send tips to:
18XUsmKnuPmGdNaPrtpwSr11iAXFUdFUys

Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
loktang1125

Activity: 164
Merit: 100

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 03:55:51 PM

could anybody tell me which one is #1 and #3

HW status:

ASIC slot #1: 73.0 ℃
ASIC slot #2: -
ASIC slot #3: 73.0 ℃
ASIC slot #4: -
ASIC slot #5: 64.0 ℃
ASIC slot #6: 68.0 ℃
Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 03:56:11 PM

A Jupiter in this Config will use app. 890W.

Well that fucking sucks.  Thanks for being cheap knc.  I was so happy when I heard people were getting under 600w.  I was hopeful that these 1300w PSU's from BFL could power two of them.  Looks like not anymore.
-Redacted-

Activity: 574
Merit: 501

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:01:10 PM

And here is a tip for everyone.  You know those two pins you jump to make the PSU work?  Do you know what those are used for?  

When you press the OFF switch your motherboard opens those two pins, telling the PSU to power everything down safely.  That is the only correct way to shut a system down - pull the jumper, then power off the PSU.  

If you just flip the PSU switch off, you leave a "whole lot of amerage" suddenly looking for the quickest way to get home.  And electrons aren't fussy, if they can find a shorter path across a component instead of thru it, they'll use that.  If there are unseen micro droplets of solder on the solder mask that present a shorter path, they'll use that path, carbonizing the solder mask and making it an even BETTER shortcut - resulting in nasty smelling smoke and burned solder mask...

Just flipping the PSU switch to off might not break anything the first time or even 100th time you do it, but eventually you'll pay the price, and the magic smoke gets out.  There's a very valid reason why you don't just turn off your computer by yanking the plug out of the wall socket - and flipping the PSU switch is the equivalent of doing that.  Do that to your desktop computer a few times and see how well it runs as a result...
greek_hephaestus

Activity: 162

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:03:59 PM

Order #12x
Miner Saturn
Date of Order 3/6/2013
Paid 9/7/2013
Location Athens/Greece

Status change In progress a few hours a go

According to KnCMiner, they work full time all weekend to catch 15th of October!!!  Smiley

Paladin69

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:04:11 PM

That is the only correct way to shut a system down - pull the jumper, then power off the PSU.

Thanks for the info!
Gyrsur
Legendary

Activity: 2856
Merit: 1518

Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206

View Profile WWW
October 11, 2013, 04:04:21 PM

And here is a tip for everyone.  You know those two pins you jump to make the PSU work?  Do you know what those are used for?  

When you press the OFF switch your motherboard opens those two pins, telling the PSU to power everything down safely.  That is the only correct way to shut a system down - pull the jumper, then power off the PSU.  

If you just flip the PSU switch off, you leave a "whole lot of amerage" suddenly looking for the quickest way to get home.  And electrons aren't fussy, if they can find a shorter path across a component instead of thru it, they'll use that.  If there are unseen micro droplets of solder on the solder mask that present a shorter path, they'll use that path, carbonizing the solder mask and making it an even BETTER shortcut - resulting in nasty smelling smoke and burned solder mask...

Just flipping the PSU switch to off might not break anything the first time or even 100th time you do it, but eventually you'll pay the price, and the magic smoke gets out.  There's a very valid reason why you don't just turn off your computer by yanking the plug out of the wall socket - and flipping the PSU switch is the equivalent of doing that.  Do that to your desktop computer a few times and see how well it runs as a result...

+1

bobsag3

Activity: 546
Merit: 500

Owner, Minersource.net

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:06:45 PM

+1
+2
None of this "its the HX850's fault". That model might just be particularly susceptible to this problem... But I have used over 30 HX850s for mining-related functions without a single issue till KnC. 
loktang1125

Activity: 164

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:07:04 PM

in this case, the jumper is the paperclip?
aspeer

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:09:20 PM

W. T. F.?

This is running 0.93...umm help!?

thats odd, my exact process:

arrived with .91 only did 190 gh/s on jupiter >> updated to .94 ssh in and do reboot.

waited 15 minutes for it to come back online, major issues >> updated to .92 ssh in and reboot

waited again, miner wont run at all now >> ran reboot patch, rebooted

still wont run >> updated back to 93 rebooted

miner runs and gets near 480 GH/s now

BTC accepted: 1C3Z4aA4v1bADYrSozjfSujzmtwxD4cvVH
Don't format your wallet into oblivion, back it up.  |  I use encrypted BackBlaze: http://backblaze.apspeer.com
10% off Campbx Fees: http://goo.gl/cIRwo
aspeer

Activity: 102
Merit: 10

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:10:48 PM

could anybody tell me which one is #1 and #3

HW status:

ASIC slot #1: 73.0 ℃
ASIC slot #2: -
ASIC slot #3: 73.0 ℃
ASIC slot #4: -
ASIC slot #5: 64.0 ℃
ASIC slot #6: 68.0 ℃

looking at the back beagle board closest too you it runs from left to right for the ribbon cable connections. (jp7 - jp12 usually) asic slot one being jp7

BTC accepted: 1C3Z4aA4v1bADYrSozjfSujzmtwxD4cvVH
Don't format your wallet into oblivion, back it up.  |  I use encrypted BackBlaze: http://backblaze.apspeer.com
10% off Campbx Fees: http://goo.gl/cIRwo
soy
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1013

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:12:33 PM

+1

I, for one, would like to see that shown experimentally.  I personally believe there is no fault in pulling the plug.
DPoS

Activity: 462
Merit: 250

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:17:24 PM

Not sure but FractionalReserve posted this on KNC Forums www.kncminer.com

hopefully this fix is the real deal

Asic Bords with 4 VRMs - bug - cool properly until FW fix arrives!

Today, 04:07 PM

The new asic bords with only 4 VRMs are using to much power.

KNC will release a bug fix for this in next (0.95?) Firmware hopefully arriving in short (Today?)

A Jupiter in this Config will use app. 890W. So it can be difficult to start with a 850W ATX. (You can still run them with only 3 boards conected)

The VRMs are also running over spec with app. 50+ A current each! They probably won't burn, but if you can cool them extra until the new firmware is realeased, do it!!
 The Asics are tunning to hot (+70 deg C) as they get app, 0.9V instead of 0.7V as they are supposed to. Cool them as much as you can!!!

The Problem is due to the VRMs not working according to spec but KNC will be able to fix it with new firmware (we did our own patch for our miners yesterday).

Easiest fix to cool properly is to provide cool air, belo 20 deg C is a good idea. Open case + big fan will also work.

PS, this does not apply to 8 VRM asic boards. No worries here.

again found this on knc forums

hope if helps

Searing

I pointed this out yesterday and it kinda got dissed by the KNC collective

you don't fix something that isn't broke unless you know everything that can break it

~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~Play Boardgames for Bitcoins!!~~BTC~~GAMBIT~~BTC~~ Something I say help? Donate BTC! 1KN1K1xStzsgfYxdArSX4PEjFfcLEuYhid
MrHempstock

Activity: 140

"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:18:03 PM

I'm not sure why people are freaking out, I get responses within 24 hours every time when I make a reasonable, non answered in the FAQ and fully formed request of them. See below:

You apply logic to the situation? MADNESS!

BTCitcointalk 1%ers manipulate the currency and deceive its user community.
MrHempstock

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:18:50 PM

I think we all need to step back for a second and chill out on the KNC folks.  

We have to remember that this is a collaboration between Orsoc and KNC, and both companies have reputations on the line.  If I were to speculate (and that's all we can do without any information coming from KNC) then as soon as units started having problems, the Orsoc guys put the breaks on the project.  To be honest, I can't even blame them.  You can't be a long term success in this industry if your products burn houses down.

I'm guessing that:
  1) KNC and Orsoc are madly working on the issues and will have them fixed as soon as humanly possible.
  1) KNC isn't allowed to say anything about the problems due to the agreement between them and Orsoc.

Nobody wants a unit shipped to their home that is going to achieve 1/10 to 1/4th of the expected hash rate. Nor would I imagine they want one that catches on fire.  I'm not involved and have not special information, but I know KNC will make this right.

+ a lot effing more than 1

DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:19:29 PM

There's a very valid reason why you don't just turn off your computer by yanking the plug out of the wall socket - and flipping the PSU switch is the equivalent of doing that.  Do that to your desktop computer a few times and see how well it runs as a result...

Yeah I have turned PC off GPU rigs at the switch a couple thousand times.  It is a non-issue.  There is a reason open frame GPU miners used power supplies with a physical power switch on back.  The theory that it powering off highly regulated UL listed ATX power supply destroyed connected equipment doesn't hold water.

There are ~300 million PC in the US.  If yanking the power would blow up a motherboard 1% of the time and the average PC experiences 3 blackouts a year then you would be talking something on the order of 9 million destroyed PC every single year.   Say average PC is $500.  We are talking about a half a billion dollars.   If it genuinely was a problem then PC mother boards (and GPU and other hardware) would come with circuit breakers or at least a $0.20 quick burn fuse.  Of course they don't ... because it isn't a problem. 
cypherdoc
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:20:18 PM

lol, for once we agree!
MrHempstock

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:20:33 PM

And now, "Gay Life On Bitcoin", a venture by 2 loveable users, Cypherdoc and Avenger.
Let's all donate BTC and send these two on a honeymoon. Anything to get them out of here.

faetos

Activity: 744
Merit: 514

gotta let a coin be a coin

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:22:24 PM

Order #12x
Miner Saturn
Date of Order 3/6/2013
Paid 9/7/2013
Location Athens/Greece

Status change In progress a few hours a go

According to KnCMiner, they work full time all weekend to catch 15th of October!!!  Smiley

i see Saturns moving forward but Junipers are not goig anywhere. what happed to the sacred queue? So so disappoint
joeventura

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

View Profile
October 11, 2013, 04:23:06 PM

Good tip thanks!
Pages: « 1 ... 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 [748] 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 790 791 792 793 794 795 796 797 798 ... 2137 »
  Print  

Jump to: