Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:23:27 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 [209] 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 ... 843 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.1  (Read 5805212 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:10:47 PM

Does the API actually reorder the pools or just change the priority?  I don't see any need for the pools to be reordered, I'm just curious.  In fact, if I have pools 1,2,3,4 and they are at default priority but I want to make the priority order 3,2,4 with 1 disabled, I simply disable 1 from the UI and then set 3 to priority 0. A t this point, the priority order is technically 3,1,2,4, but 1 is disabled, so it's fine.  Once one is familiar with the priority changing it should never take more priority changes than you have pools in order to achieve the priority he wants.
The API currently just changes the priority of a single chosen pool to '0' and enables it.
(Just like the switch command in the keyboard interface)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
omo

Activity: 147
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:23:54 PM

I'm interested in AMDOverdriveCtrl  you talked about,
I downloaded the package and find out that it is a GUI software,
I wonder if it can be used remotely to control clock/voltage?

BTC:1Fu4TNpVPToxxhSXBNSvE9fz6X3dbYgB8q
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:34:34 PM
Last edit: February 22, 2012, 04:14:13 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I'm interested in AMDOverdriveCtrl  you talked about,

AMdOverdriveCtrl can't change anything that cgminer can't.  
cgminer already gives you remote access to clock/voltage/fan/inensity/etc.

This to answer the question while AMDOverdriveCtrl has a GUI component it can also be used from the command line (like bitcoin vs bitcoind) so you could control it remotely via scripts, web applications, etc.

However given cgminer does everything and already has an API ...
kano
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 03:58:38 PM

AMdOverdriveCtrl can't change anything that cgminer can't.  cgminer already gives you remote access to clock/voltage/fan/inensity/etc.
Cheesy Straight from my script:

14) An OC option:
 This is no longer needed since cgminer 2.* includes OC, however:

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
QuantumFoam

Activity: 200

|Quantum|World's First Cloud Management Platform

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 05:15:32 PM

A number of niggling issues cause drop in hashrate over longpolls and network outages in 2.2.7. Fixed in next version.  Hold on to your hats...
Awesome. I'll wait to see how the next version reacts to the main pool going offline and back online multiple times per minute.

|Quantum|World's First Cloud Management Platform on the Blockchain
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 05:17:37 PM

A number of niggling issues cause drop in hashrate over longpolls and network outages in 2.2.7. Fixed in next version.  Hold on to your hats...
Awesome. I'll wait to see how the next version reacts to the main pool going offline and back online multiple times per minute.

While hopefully the next version works better,  why would you mine at a pool that goes offline once a day much less multiple times per minute?

I mean even if cgminer handles the drop perfectly you are still looking at a massive drop in aggregate output.
stevegee58
Legendary

Activity: 916
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 05:19:50 PM

If your primary is p2pool it won't go down at all anyway (unless your p2pool client crashes).

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.
QuantumFoam

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 05:25:13 PM

While hopefully the next version works better,  why would you mine at a pool that goes offline once a day much less multiple times per minute?

I mean even if cgminer handles the drop perfectly you are still looking at a massive drop in aggregate output.
It doesn't always do that, it does it when the server has issues or when the pool ops are working on it. I completely agree with the aggregate output part, that's why it would be nice to have an option that would kick over to the backup pool for a while instead of constantly trying to submit work to a failing main pool.

As for why I continue to mine at this pool, it is because it pays ~140% pps.

bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 05:44:29 PM

While hopefully the next version works better,  why would you mine at a pool that goes offline once a day much less multiple times per minute?

It doesn't always do that, it does it when the server has issues or when the pool ops are working on it. I completely agree with the aggregate output part, that's why it would be nice to have an option that would kick over to the backup pool for a while instead of constantly trying to submit work to a failing main pool.

As for why I continue to mine at this pool, it is because it pays ~140% pps.

What pool is that Shocked
P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 10:13:15 PM

Anyone have cgminer compiles for windows with cpu mining enabled?... want to do some testing.
QuantumFoam

View Profile WWW
February 22, 2012, 10:15:21 PM

it is a fairly well known one on here but running in beta right now (hence the server problems). I am being vague due to the inflammatory nature of > 100% pps on this forum in the past and don't want to derail this thread.

leveer

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 11:19:06 PM

Any chance the pool settings could be stored in a separate configuration file? It would sure make changing those in bulk/on multiple rigs a lot easier, when my pool preference order changes... distribute one pools.conf to each rig.

It also would be nice to have an ability to re-order pools from within cgminer.

I've got 3 BTC in bounty for each.
Can I have the 2nd one Smiley
With the API, you simply move any pool of choice to position 0 (highest priority).
The number of moves to get the required order is at maximum, the number of pools.
How many pools do you have anyway?
Frankly, I have no idea how to use the API. Have started cgminer with the --api-listen command, and can get 127.0.0.1:4028 to return a file called "download," but that's as much as I can get. Would prefer to use miner.php based on the description, but opening it in a browser just yields the text contents of the file...

EDIT: Notably, using Windows...
Well you can actually do it from within cgminer anyway:
Press "P" for Pool management
"S" for Switch pool
and then the number of the pool -> this will make it the top priority pool

So if you have pools 0, 1 & 2 but want the priority to be 2, 1, 0
You would first switch to 1 then switch to 2

As for the other half Smiley
I've just put up a pull request to ckolivas (after I asked him if he was interested in it - he said no)
to allow one "include":"filename" in the json file (which is allowed to be recursive - up to 10 times - to avoid infinite loops)
It's simple and will not be made more complex.

If you save the configuration from within cgminer, the output will contain ALL settings (except will not contain the "include" setting)
The reasoning behind this is that if you change anything within cgminer, there could be complex multiple definition issues and all settings loaded and changed would need attributes about where they came from and if they were changed - way too complex.
Also, if you set a setting within cgminer that was in an included file, the included file would always override it, your setting would never stick.

Separating just the pools and only having them in their own file would be a backward compatibility problem.

Hopefully the simple solution is enough, coz I can't see a more complex version ever being implemented (since it would require a major redesign of how configuration settings are handled within cgminer)

We'll see if he allows it in or not Smiley

3 sent for 2 half solutions. Thanks!
bulanula

Activity: 518

View Profile
February 22, 2012, 11:36:17 PM

it is a fairly well known one on here but running in beta right now (hence the server problems). I am being vague due to the inflammatory nature of > 100% pps on this forum in the past and don't want to derail this thread.

Does it start with G Cheesy ?

I think some people are having loads of issues with cgminer and that pool you are talking about so I think this is pretty on topic.

Maybe there is some networking / share submitting bug in cgminer that is not in phoenix that only affects pool G ?
kano
Legendary

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 12:43:23 AM

Hopefully the simple solution is enough, coz I can't see a more complex version ever being implemented (since it would require a major redesign of how configuration settings are handled within cgminer)

We'll see if he allows it in or not Smiley

3 sent for 2 half solutions. Thanks!
3 BTC received - thank you very much Smiley
ckolivas also accepted the pull request so it's in the master git also.

P_Shep
Legendary

Activity: 1795
Merit: 1198

This is not OK.

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 01:12:36 AM

Just wondering... is there an issue with the way cgminer caches work?
I don't know what goes on inside, but one plausable explanation to what I'm seeing is:
CGM gets work from all pools.
When Primary pool goes down, work starts on the secondary.
But CGM doesn't get new work, uses what is has, which is old.
Old work submitted, and promptly rejected.

Alternatively:
When Primary pool goes down, work from that pool is submitted to the secondary pool.

Any of these scenarios occur? Because my secondary and tertiary pools end up with a greater number of rejected shares, than accepted.
phorensic

Activity: 630

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 01:43:15 AM

Does it start with G Cheesy ?

I think some people are having loads of issues with cgminer and that pool you are talking about so I think this is pretty on topic.

Maybe there is some networking / share submitting bug in cgminer that is not in phoenix that only affects pool G ?
I mine on pool "G" with the aforementioned ~140% pps  Grin  Yes, it is in beta.  Yes my cgminer will fall back to my BTC Guild often.  However, it tends to fall back gracefully.  Not sure which problems others are having?  The developer of pool "G" is making changes to his servers all the time.  He announces them in the thread with pretty clear warnings that the service will be up and down....BECAUSE IT IS BETA!!!111one
QuantumFoam

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 02:00:39 AM

The original point was cgminer choking when the pool goes up and down frequently/multiple times per minute. I understand that the pool is in beta, I just want to improve the problem of cgminer getting hung up when the server runs into problems.

johnyj
Legendary

Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012

Beyond Imagination

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 10:18:20 AM

AMdOverdriveCtrl can't change anything that cgminer can't.  cgminer already gives you remote access to clock/voltage/fan/inensity/etc.
Cheesy Straight from my script:

14) An OC option:
 This is no longer needed since cgminer 2.* includes OC, however:

I use AMDoverdriveCtrl for 2 reason:

1. I want cgminer to focus on the mining without caring about the GPU management, it will be much easy to trouble shooting when something went wrong

2. The fan speed control of AMDoverdriveCtrl is more convenient to use. In cgminer, the fan speed keeps shooting up and down, lagging the real change in GPU temperature

Actually I did build cgminer once without ADL_SDK, but then I'm not able to see the GPU info, especially when doing ssh into the machine. So the function  of monitoring the GPU is still very useful

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 23, 2012, 10:24:15 AM

New version: Version 2.3.0 - February 23, 2012

Human readable summary:
New kernels across the board, including Diablo kernel. Selection is carefully designed to be optimal by default according to device and SDK combination.
Much better coping with SDK 2.6 so it no longer warns excessively about it, but note it's STILL faster with most cards on earlier SDKs.
Fixed the huge dip in hashrate with all the extra longpolls.
Fixed the number of extra longpolls during pool switch.
Hopefully fixed the device OFF problem.
Added Icarus FPGA support.
Can set kernel, vector and worksize per device now with -k diablo,phatk,phatk,poclbm -v 2,2,2,1 -w 128,256,256,64 for example
Hashrate at startup should be more meaningful sooner.
New --benchmark feature to test hashrate. Leave it running for ~3 mins to get reliable results, then quit and check the summary! Great for testing multiple same devices with different kernels, vectors etc. Produces NO HASHES so don't leave it running  Wink
Engine clock speed should ramp up instantly after a period of network outage which drops the profile to low power.
New API commands for pool management.
Fixes to API code to shut down cleanly.

Full changelog:
- Consider extra longpoll work items as staged_extra so as to make sure we queue
more work if queueing regular work items as longpolls.
- Use diablo kernel on all future SDKs for Tahiti and set preferred vector width
to 1 on poclbm kernel only.
- Explicitly type the constants in diakgcn kernel as uint, to be in line with
poclbm kernel.
- Reset all hash counters at the same time as resetting start times to get
accurate hashrates on exiting which is mandatory for benchmarking.
- Report thread out before it starts to avoid being flagged as sick when waiting
for the first work item.
- Don't disable and re-enable devices as they may recover and in the meantime
have their status set to OFF.
- API new commands enablepool and disablepool (version already incremented)
- Tolerate new-format temperature readings for bitforce
- Modify cgminer.c pool control to allow API to call it
- Bugfix: Fix BitFORCE driver memory leak in debug logging
- Extra byte was being unused in poclbm leading to failure on some platforms.
- Explicitly type the constants in poclbm kernel as uint.
- Don't save 'include' when saving the configuration
- Allow configuration file to include another recursively
- Use the SDK and hardware information to choose good performing default
kernels.
- Move phatk kernel to offset vector based nonce bases as well.
- Add a --benchmark feature which works on a fake item indefinitely to compare
device performance without any server or networking influence.
- Allow writing of multiple worksizes to the configuration file.
- Allow writing of multiple vector sizes to the configuration file.
- Allow writing of multiple kernels to the configuration file.
- Allow multiple different kernels to be chosen per device.
- Allow the worksize to be set per-device.
- Allow different vectors to be set per device.
- If we're well below the target temperature, increase gpu engine speed back to
maximum in case we have gotten lost between profiles during an idle period.
- We should be setting the value of fan_optimal, not its address.
- As all kernels will be new versions it's an opportunity to change the .bin
format and make it simpler. Specifying bitalign is redundant and long can be l.
- Use any() in kernel output code.
- Put the nonce for each vector offset in advance, avoiding one extra addition
in the kernel.
- Reset times after all mining threads are started to make estimating hashrates
easier at startup.
- Bugfix: allow no-exec (NX) stack
- Fix minor warning.
- fix the bitforce.c code style follow 1TBS
- fix icarus.c compile warning
- small changes to speedup no vec for AMD 898.1 OCL runtime
- Update licensing to GPL V3.
- Reset the longpoll flag after it's been used once to prevent it restarting
work again.
- Begin import of DiabloMiner kernel.
- Modify API debug messages to say API instead of DBG
- When API shuts down cgminer don't kill itself
- Don't make rolled work from the longpoll be seen as other longpoll work items.
- API add 'privileged' command so can verify access level
- Set the lp_sent variable under lock since there will almost always be a race
on setting this variable, potentially leading to multiple LPs being sent out.
- API restrict access to all non display commands by default
- Update API version to 1.2 for new 'Log Interval'
- API add --log Interval to 'config' reply
- --api-allow special case 0/0 means all

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Vbs

Activity: 504

View Profile
February 23, 2012, 10:41:12 AM

New version: Version 2.3.0 - February 23, 2012

Thanks for the update mate, but this version doesn't compile a bitalign kernel for my cards (5850's), it's the non-bitalign kernel which is much slower (~320MH/s vs ~400MH/s).

Copying over the bin from the previous version and renaming it from "phatk120213Cypressbitalignv2w256long4" to "phatk120222Cypressv2w256l4" doesn't work also (HW failures).
Pages: « 1 ... 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 [209] 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 259 ... 843 »
  Print  

Jump to: