Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:25:38 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread  (Read 438335 times)
loshia
Legendary

Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 12:30:34 PM

I don't think it's worth your time to bother with the scamcoins: remember you need to maintain a working full node for them, and IIRC the ones with merged mining are all buggy and a pain to keep running (besides namecoin, anyway).
That being said, if you guys want to setup a bounty on something, I will of course consider it.

Unrelated note: I still don't have an Avalon myself to work with, so if anyone is planning to get rid of theirs, please let me know...

I want to end up with (a) shell script(s) that can start with a fully standard newly installed & updated Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) that has bytecoind built & installed,

1.  do apt-get install <list of necessary stuff for eloipool>
2.  git an eloipool distribution
3.  perform any necessary localizations and have bytecoin mine to that eloipool installation.

I am aware of the eloipool installation thread, but I still have some learning curve and have not been successful getting it to work.  I don't know whether I am an hour or a month away from reconciling the working system that I have, and the differences between it and the forum thread's procedure.

I can provide access to a VirtualBox installation of Ubuntu with bytecoind if that will be helpful.
I have a 2nd VM with a working eloipool + bytecoin, but this was the result of unzipping a file sent by a forum member, and I want to have a process that goes to official sources.

What sort of bounty would interest you in this?

Luke,
I will just need mm proxy sample to talk to scam coins daemons and any specific secrets to scam coin + Nmc daemons  also
 Wink
Profmac,
Probably best will be to open a bounty thread with public record of donations. I am sure that when we collect enough Luke will show up. The best will be that he will answer to our questions later? Thee is not universal how to

Please help the Led Boy aka Bicknellski to make us a nice Christmas led tree and pay WASP membership fee here:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=643999.msg7191563#msg7191563
And remember Bicknellski is not collecting money from community;D
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
mchu168

Activity: 188
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 05:16:46 PM

I could use a little help.  I purchased two Avalon-based miners from the following seller:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=379819.0

They both arrived in working condition and each was hashing at ~200Gh/s.  I was doing some housekeeping this morning - moving them around, plugging them into different outlets, etc. However, afterwards one of my miners was only hashing at ~130Gh/s.  I took the whole thing apart down to each cable and board and started troubleshooting.  After trying every possible combination, I isolated the problem to a bad Avalon board.  It looks like this:

Each miner has two of these boards, and one of the boards will mine at ~100Gh/s but the other board only mines at 30Gh/s.  I plugged them in individually to confirm this.  I also swapped everything (cables, etc) to confirm the board itself is the issue.

Any idea on how to fix this board?  And if it's not repairable, is there someplace I can purchase one?  This looks like something that several Chinese companies are using, so I think it is pretty generic. The manufacturer is very unresponsive unfortunately and I might have to bite the bullet and buy one elsewhere.

Thanks!
fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 09:26:38 PM
Last edit: January 18, 2014, 09:57:52 PM by fasmax

That module must use Avalon gen 2 chips.
Do you see any thing that has burnt?
If you have a voltmeter check the voltage across the larger ceramic capacitor that's between the Avalon chips.
This should be around 1 volt I think.
If the voltages are OK then it gets harder to determine what is wrong.
Where are you located?

fasmax

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 18, 2014, 10:16:29 PM

I have almost finished my project to adapt an Avalon module to a Klondike backplane controller.
I have purchased a defective module from ste0024 to develop this with.
I was going to break the Avalon module down into smaller units but decided not to do it that way.
The board accepts an Avalon module and looks like 4 Klondike units.
Here is a picture of what it looks like.
One Klondike unit is hashing at 1/2 the expected rate because of the defective sub-unit on this module.
This is running at 345mhz.
https://i.imgur.com/kcixt6d.jpg
smoothrunnings

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:30:00 AM

That looks like a Gen2 board which if I understand it correctly will need a different controller to get them running at 200GH/s, but I could be wrong.

smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:31:17 AM

Do the Gen1 Avalon's support jumbo frames, has anyone tried?

Thanks,
smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:32:37 AM

I don't think it's worth your time to bother with the scamcoins: remember you need to maintain a working full node for them, and IIRC the ones with merged mining are all buggy and a pain to keep running (besides namecoin, anyway).
That being said, if you guys want to setup a bounty on something, I will of course consider it.

Unrelated note: I still don't have an Avalon myself to work with, so if anyone is planning to get rid of theirs, please let me know...

I want to end up with (a) shell script(s) that can start with a fully standard newly installed & updated Ubuntu 12.04 (Precise Pangolin) that has bytecoind built & installed,

1.  do apt-get install <list of necessary stuff for eloipool>
2.  git an eloipool distribution
3.  perform any necessary localizations and have bytecoin mine to that eloipool installation.

I am aware of the eloipool installation thread, but I still have some learning curve and have not been successful getting it to work.  I don't know whether I am an hour or a month away from reconciling the working system that I have, and the differences between it and the forum thread's procedure.

I can provide access to a VirtualBox installation of Ubuntu with bytecoind if that will be helpful.
I have a 2nd VM with a working eloipool + bytecoin, but this was the result of unzipping a file sent by a forum member, and I want to have a process that goes to official sources.

What's the difference between eloipool  and P2Pool?
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 12:38:17 AM

3.  perform any necessary localizations and have bytecoin mine to that eloipool installation.

I am aware of the eloipool installation thread, but I still have some learning curve and have not been successful getting it to work.  I don't know whether I am an hour or a month away from reconciling the working system that I have, and the differences between it and the forum thread's procedure.

P2Pool doesn't work well with ASICs.

I try to be respectful and informed.
smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 02:21:07 AM

Explain what you mean exactly?
ProfMac
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 03:43:57 AM

I mean that I only got about 10% of the return on mining as I would have with a standard pool.  I lost valuable time trying it.  I installed eloipool and things worked great.

smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:06:30 AM

I mean that I only got about 10% of the return on mining as I would have with a standard pool.  I lost valuable time trying it.  I installed eloipool and things worked great.

You how long did you mine with P2Pool for?
ProfMac
Legendary

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:10:36 AM

About 48 hours.

smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 19, 2014, 04:26:10 AM

About 48 hours.

Yeah you can't run for 48 hours with P2Pool, you need to be vigilant and let it run for a month. Only then will you see  the profitability.

smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 12:27:55 AM

You know I have been running the newest update from CK since it was released and found after switching back to 0821 that it's not as good as 0821. Both my Avalon's that are running at 340Mhz do around 106.4GH/s with newest CK firmware while on the old 0821 they do just over 107GH/s.

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 09:34:43 AM

That's called variance within that degree of error since the hashrate meter also includes luck.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
smoothrunnings

View Profile
January 20, 2014, 11:15:06 AM

That's called variance within that degree of error since the hashrate meter also includes luck.

Well whatever it is, since the Avy is supposed to do 107GH/s at 340Mhz if I plan to sell my Avy's down the road to someone and they see they aren't running at their natural speed they are to suspect something is wrong and will demand the price be cheaper, something no Avy owner wants I am sure!

flyonwall

Activity: 250

RockStable Token Inc

View Profile WWW
January 20, 2014, 11:54:18 AM

I am pre-selling Gen2 cards with 10 chips on each card, for $150 per card. I need to sell at least 2,500 of these to make it worthwhile. The units are all for hosting only, and I charge a flat fee of $3 a month for each card, which already includes electricity, space, and maintenance. Each card has an on-board PIC32 microcontroller and I converted the serial signals coming from/to the Gen2 chips to the SPI serial comm standard. The on-board USB then connects to a PC running Ubuntu, and each card will have its own instance of cgminer or bfgminer running on the PC. I am building a website to allow people to control their condo units remotely.

https://www.centerus.com/product/condo-mining-unit/

sneef

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:11:05 AM

I have a Batch 2 (3 module) that has just had the PSU fail on it.

The dead PSU is the 850w Enermax that came with it.

I grabbed a 1000W Cooler Master that i had sitting around from old GPU rig, and i have tried to switch it out.

The 4+4 cables from PSU are plugged into the White sockets.
The 6+2 cables from PSU are plugged into the Black Sockets.

I have the 20+4 cable plugged into the 24 pin socket.

The avalon will now power up to the degree that i can reach the router inside it, the router connects to the Wifi and has blue light. One of the boards inside has 2 green lights and they both go on.

When i power it up the fans spin for a moment and then stop. Same with the PSU fan, it spins for a second and then stops. The two external lights show me 1 green for a moment, but it then turns to a constant Red.. the orange light is also constantly on.

When i removed the cables from the original 850w PSU i only removed 2 x 6+2 cables from black sockets, but have since found there is a 3rd black socket, so in an effort to get it running i ran another 6+2 to that black socket.... still no love from this machine.

Anyone out there able to tell me what is wrong or what i can try?

I have plugged and unplugged and replugged every cable and several decades ago i used to build PC's for a living, so we can cross that off the list, it's certainly not a poorly seated or lose cable issue. My fingers are nearly bleeding from all this plugging and replugging.

As the PSU is powering the router and lights and fans for a moment, i am working on the assumption that the PSU functions fine, it surely did last time it was powering GPU's

aneutronic

Activity: 175

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 09:54:19 AM

I have a Batch 2 (3 module) that has just had the PSU fail on it.

The dead PSU is the 850w Enermax that came with it.

I grabbed a 1000W Cooler Master that i had sitting around from old GPU rig, and i have tried to switch it out.

The 4+4 cables from PSU are plugged into the White sockets.
The 6+2 cables from PSU are plugged into the Black Sockets.

I have the 20+4 cable plugged into the 24 pin socket.

The avalon will now power up to the degree that i can reach the router inside it, the router connects to the Wifi and has blue light. One of the boards inside has 2 green lights and they both go on.

When i power it up the fans spin for a moment and then stop. Same with the PSU fan, it spins for a second and then stops. The two external lights show me 1 green for a moment, but it then turns to a constant Red.. the orange light is also constantly on.

When i removed the cables from the original 850w PSU i only removed 2 x 6+2 cables from black sockets, but have since found there is a 3rd black socket, so in an effort to get it running i ran another 6+2 to that black socket.... still no love from this machine.

Anyone out there able to tell me what is wrong or what i can try?

I have plugged and unplugged and replugged every cable and several decades ago i used to build PC's for a living, so we can cross that off the list, it's certainly not a poorly seated or lose cable issue. My fingers are nearly bleeding from all this plugging and replugging.

As the PSU is powering the router and lights and fans for a moment, i am working on the assumption that the PSU functions fine, it surely did last time it was powering GPU's

The red led indicates a +12v supply failure.
The 6+2 connectors on some psus have the +2 section wired with +12v and gnd instead of 2 gnds as the sockets on the avalon are using.
Plugging in the pcie connectors with this type of +2 section shorts the +12v bus on the psu causing it to go into an over-current shutdown.
Just leave the +2 section of the pcie connectors unplugged, plug in the 6 pin sections and you should be good to go.
sneef

Activity: 69
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 21, 2014, 11:00:56 AM

The red led indicates a +12v supply failure.
The 6+2 connectors on some psus have the +2 section wired with +12v and gnd instead of 2 gnds as the sockets on the avalon are using.
Plugging in the pcie connectors with this type of +2 section shorts the +12v bus on the psu causing it to go into an over-current shutdown.
Just leave the +2 section of the pcie connectors unplugged, plug in the 6 pin sections and you should be good to go.

Thank you for that explanation and idea. Sadly it did not solve my problem.

I will go and purchase another PSU, hopefully that might fix the issue.

Any suggestions for a brand and model? I am not in the US but i can get most any brand that is common enough.

Pages: « 1 ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 [192] 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 »
  Print  

Jump to: