Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 12:20:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032125 times)
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 05:57:10 AM

Long term Cypher has been right...

And he is right...some of us have made a pretty penny.  Wink

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:25:32 AM

Any seasoned trader/investor knows that one of the hardest things to do is hold onto large gains.  The temptation to sell and lock in profits at much lower prices and go against your original plan is perhaps harder than buying at times like these.  Fortunately, I still have over half my original stash left... and that is after panic selling a chunk during the march 2013 fork (tradercj would have sold all), getting goxed on a chunk, cashing out a chunk earlier on in this bear market, and speculating on some alts.  I put half in cold storage and vowed to not touch it unless I absolutely had to.  It is still there.  Actually, I'm back to about 75% after being given the gift of lower prices recently.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 07:52:52 AM

Hey tvbcof, we're going back up.

Well hopefully people haven't been taking your advice for the past year.  Unfortunately, I'm sure some did, and they have paid dearly.  Shame on you.

except i haven't been saying buy for the entire year.

shame on you for your buy recommendations on gold and silver.  they've performed miserably since 2011 and have been flat at best for the last year.

you must be frustrated.

Cypher, you've been nothing but bullish over the course of the entire thread's life.  In fact, you admitted that this is a place for you to troll to bears.  When it comes to PMs, I never said buy (to my recollection).  I'm not a salesman, unlike you.  I called you out on being wrong on gold vs Bitcoin for an entire year.  Hell, more than a year.  And although you probably do not recall, what I said about PMs was my shift to them from Bitcoin worked in my favor.  Furthermore, I have stated many times that gold and Bitcoin solve different problems.  Comparing the two from a functional standpoint doesn't make sense.  You, on the other hand, would rather preach the ultimate dominance of Bitcoin from your pulpit.  And like I said, this I'm sure has resulted in losses from those hapless people who have taken your advice over the past year.  It is your unmitigated arrogance that I take exception to.

Considering his call was made in 2011 when bitcoin was still nothing more than a curious token that had zero infrastructure around it, then the call has been wildly successful. The fact bitcoin is off from its peak doesn't change that. Today I buy PMs and bitcoin, but PMs have done nothing since 2011 compared next to bitcoin, that is the comparison point, not the latest peak.
rocks
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:12:13 AM

Starting back in 2011, a chimp could have become a millionaire

actually before then the IQ around this place was highest anywhere on the web ... so, no chimps and chumps have only came along later.

Just like apple and microsoft stocks, you had to have knowledge more than luck at those levels, people whining about unfairness of coin distribution are, almost by definition, stupider than your average bear.

There is a reason the devs left bitcointalk years ago for the promise land of listserv and GitHub. They seem to see bitcointalk as nothing but a den of thieves and scammers at this point.

I've never understood why but the chimps and chumps (as you call them) never seem to be able to figure out how to use something as simple as a malling list, and so switching over to that medium tends to leave them behind.

Its sad but over the years every decent message board or comment section I've found has eventually been taken over by the chimps and lose its value as the original community slowly bleeds out.
cbeast
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:22:17 AM
Last edit: February 03, 2015, 08:42:52 AM by mortified

actually before then the IQ around this place was highest anywhere on the web ... so, no chimps and chumps have only came along later.

Just like apple and microsoft stocks, you had to have knowledge more than luck at those levels, people whining about unfairness of coin distribution are, almost by definition, stupider than your average bear.

There is a reason the devs left bitcointalk years ago for the promise land of listserv and GitHub. They seem to see bitcointalk as nothing but a den of thieves and scammers at this point.

I've never understood why but the chimps and chumps (as you call them) never seem to be able to figure out how to use something as simple as a malling list, and so switching over to that medium tends to leave them behind.

Its sad but over the years every decent message board or comment section I've found has eventually been taken over by the chimps and lose its value as the original community slowly bleeds out.
We might as well go back to usenet. At least you can *plonk* trolls there.
edit: I see there is a group for devs. I don't go on dev lists because I don't dev. Troll slaying is my gig.

Any significantly advanced cryptocurrency is indistinguishable from Ponzi Tulips.
tabnloz
Legendary

Activity: 961

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 10:06:26 AM

In the throes of currency wars, priced in almost everything but USD, gold has increased markedly in the last 6 months. Check it out in Yen, Ruble, Eur, Aud, Cad. Same effect has mitigated the decline in bitcoin prices. Outside of any market string pulling (paper market in GLD, whaleclubs in btc) comparative strength of the USD has been a killer.
iCEBREAKER
Legendary

Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

View Profile WWW
February 03, 2015, 10:41:43 AM

The people who really have my respect are those like Gavin and Garzik who gave away Bitcoin as a means of jump-starting things.

Faucets and charity (esp. the FOSS coding) are all well and good, but what about us chimp chumps who spent our early BTC on goods and services?

IMO, increasing velocity/distribution by rewarding actual use cases did more to bootstrap the crypto-economy than sprinkling about proof-of-concepts.  With only philanthropists and hoarders participating, we'd have never gotten this moon rocket off the ground!

I laugh at your overpriced Ramen!
http://bitmunchies.com/index.php?cPath=29_22

Seriously? Theres a website selling ramen noodles for btc?

Sigh, I guess spending $5 coins pretty much counts as giving them away.   Cry

Grin

██████████
█████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████████
████████████████████████████
████
████████████████████████
█████
███████████████████████████
█████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████
██████████████████████████
█████
█████████████
██████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████
██████████

Monero
"The difference between bad and well-developed digital cash will determine
whether we have a dictatorship or a real democracy." 
David Chaum 1996
"Fungibility provides privacy as a side effect."  Adam Back 2014
Buy and sell XMR near you
P2P Exchange Network
Buy XMR with fiat
Is Dash a scam?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:22:11 PM

like i said:

i'm really liking this:

NotLambchop

Activity: 378
Merit: 254

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:24:51 PM

if anything, the massive attempts of clowns like traderCJ, tvbcof, and the Not* brother trolls to discredit me tells me we are still very early on in the game.  they are how you tell we are NOT in a bubble.  the bearish sentiment has become overconfident.  that combined with over a year long pullback that can't take us consistently below 200 is a very good sign for Bitcoin bulls...

$200?  A year and a half ago I was promised $300,000 by your fellow nutter rpietila...
Oh well, expectations lowered Sad
Wekkel
Legendary

Activity: 3108
Merit: 1531

yes

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 04:39:16 PM

Ignore the naysayers. .. it's not their capital on the line.

thezerg
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1010

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 05:09:11 PM

Starting back in 2011, a chimp could have become a millionaire, let alone a human.

you have no idea what you're talking about, not being anywhere around here during that time.  sentiment was WAY worse and this forum was crawling with a majority of trolls.  in fact, it was so bad that i started my first 2 threads in this Spec forum in an attempt to counteract the spiral down in sentiment.

Warning: How many of you Bears have ever been a victim of a Short Squeeze?

How many of you have been Zhoutonged?

those threads are filled with bear venom.  the risk of investing back then was MUCH higher than it is now.  why?  b/c we were so much closer to zero and total failure.  when it broke below 2 to 1.98, the large final capitulatory downstroke was completed as bears and bulls alike vomited up their last units.  we're nowhere close to that after a downturn over 3x as long.

200 is the new 2 (and all you bears should keep in mind that that's 100x return in 3 years)
rocks
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 05:21:30 PM

I just continue to be floored by the growth in the ecosystem. Two years ago our only options to acquire bitcoin were home mining or sending money to a flacky website in Japan through Dwolla which limited transfer sizes. Today there are plenty of professional options integrated directly with my bank accounts. It feels like a night and day difference. And this growth in infrastructure continues to accelerate, IMHO faster than any startup ecosystem I've seen before.

The key is to ignore the naysayers who focus on the price. The price in the near-term is immaterial. Ecosystem and infrastructure are all that matter at this stage.

If the naysayers start to focus on bashing the ecosystem and infrastructure build-out (or lack of) I'll gladly listen because that is what matters.
NotLambchop

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 05:41:34 PM

^Price is a valid indicator only when it's high, when it tanks it becomes irrelevant Roll Eyes

The "price" of money is its buying power, and [arguably] that's pretty important.
You now can buy ~1/4 of the stuff you used to be able to buy with your "money" a year ago.
Your "money" was debased by roughly 75%.

Please take this moment to give yourselves a big hand for this major accomplishment.
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 05:46:44 PM

You can catch up with people who discovered bitcoin two years ago. Same risk - you venture more, but the risk per dollar is considerably less than back then.

1. Do it now, don't wait until the price is 600 or 1200 or whatever. Now is the time.

2. Risk 10 times more than the 2013'ers did risk. Either place a larger fraction of your portfolio in bitcoins, or take up a loan, or trade on margin.

You don't need to be grumpy. The risk is smaller. Many did not enter in 2013, even knowing about bitcoin. They did not take the risk. Those who did, deserve what they have.

Edit: Trading on margin might not be too smart. You don't have control.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:14:46 PM

Starting back in 2011, a chimp could have become a millionaire, let alone a human.

you have no idea what you're talking about, not being anywhere around here during that time.  sentiment was WAY worse and this forum was crawling with a majority of trolls.  in fact, it was so bad that i started my first 2 threads in this Spec forum in an attempt to counteract the spiral down in sentiment.

Warning: How many of you Bears have ever been a victim of a Short Squeeze?

How many of you have been Zhoutonged?

those threads are filled with bear venom.  the risk of investing back then was MUCH higher than it is now.  why?  b/c we were so much closer to zero and total failure.  when it broke below 2 to 1.98, the large final capitulatory downstroke was completed as bears and bulls alike vomited up their last units.  we're nowhere close to that after a downturn over 3x as long.

200 is the new 2 (and all you bears should keep in mind that that's 100x return in 3 years)

precisely
ssmc2
Legendary

Activity: 2002
Merit: 1040

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:18:48 PM

I just continue to be floored by the growth in the ecosystem. Two years ago our only options to acquire bitcoin were home mining or sending money to a flacky website in Japan through Dwolla which limited transfer sizes. Today there are plenty of professional options integrated directly with my bank accounts. It feels like a night and day difference. And this growth in infrastructure continues to accelerate, IMHO faster than any startup ecosystem I've seen before.

The key is to ignore the naysayers who focus on the price. The price in the near-term is immaterial. Ecosystem and infrastructure are all that matter at this stage.

If the naysayers start to focus on bashing the ecosystem and infrastructure build-out (or lack of) I'll gladly listen because that is what matters.

Exactly. All of these people saying "Oh, but they're not investing in bitcoin/why aren't they buying".  Roll Eyes  You don't think that once the necessary groundwork is laid that all of these investors won't take us where we need to be? Lol
NotLambchop

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 06:40:06 PM

...You don't think that once the necessary groundwork is laid that all of these investors won't take us where we need to be? Lol

How is it the price keeps tanking with such great "groundwork" in place???  Why teh inverse correlation?
A guy from the internet once told me increasing demand on a limited-supply asset (such as BTCeanie BTCabies Bitcoin) should drive the price up, was I lied to???
bambou

Activity: 346
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 07:59:24 PM

Claiming bitcoin wont go sub200 ever is just silly, at best, and kinda discredit the whole thread.

Non inultus premor
silverfuture
Legendary

Activity: 947
Merit: 1008

central banking = outdated protocol

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 08:55:41 PM

Exactly. All of these people saying "Oh, but they're not investing in bitcoin/why aren't they buying".  Roll Eyes  You don't think that once the necessary groundwork is laid that all of these investors won't take us where we need to be? Lol

Well said. Relative newcomer bitcoiners, both trollish and non trollish, often can't see the amazing growth of the network and  infrastructure in only 6 years because they weren't there see how rickety it was only a few years ago during initial bootstrapping.  The party is only getting started and this is an excellent entry point for anyone who wants to cost average as we're near the point of maximum opportunity if not at it now.  

Edited for clarity and spelling

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NastyFans - The Fan Club for Bitcoin Enthusiasts | MININGCOINS | POOL | ESCROW
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
rocks
Legendary

View Profile
February 03, 2015, 09:06:29 PM

We might as well go back to usenet. At least you can *plonk* trolls there.
edit: I see there is a group for devs. I don't go on dev lists because I don't dev. Troll slaying is my gig.

The purpose of dev lists in some sense is they create a balance between open access and a barrier to the public. Due to the interface only people truly interested in a topic participate, and it is very easy to ignore those who distract a discussion (simple per user block). Because of this they tend to not degenerate in the same manner I've seen many forums/comment sections.

Regarding "troll slaying", I don't believe this is effective at all. Take JorgeS as an example, he wasn't slayed but improved his trolling. On this forum he was able to test multiple forms of FUD, see which one were easily refuted and he shouldn't use any more, and which were more complicated to refute or that were hard for newcomers to understand. This thread has started to become a troll testing ground which is why I've been less active.
Pages: « 1 ... 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 1010 1011 1012 1013 1014 1015 1016 1017 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 [1048] 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: