Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 07:04:05 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 ... 843 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.1  (Read 5805212 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 03:42:02 AM

Not using 2.3.6 then as the U now shows just 1 place after the decimal...
Curious. What possible useful information does .01 hashes/minute resolution give you? Variance of share luck alone is usually in the +/-10% range, and the 2nd decimal place was only ever there for CPU miners to see something besides zero.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1000

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 03:45:31 AM

There seems to be a problem with the share/time counts, as I only have a small 220 mhash/s and cgminer's showing me a constantly growing 37.14 shares per minute.

Con - should have quoted in my last post...

The fact he mentions 37.14 displayed he is NOT using 2.3.6 and should update...

1 decimal is fine for U as you said...

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 03:48:16 AM

There seems to be a problem with the share/time counts, as I only have a small 220 mhash/s and cgminer's showing me a constantly growing 37.14 shares per minute.

Ah my bad  Cheesy

-ck
bravetheheat

Activity: 457
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 03:55:26 AM

I am using 2.3.6... I just recently cloned it from the git repo and built it. The number's at 128.89 shares/min now.
JWU42
Legendary

Activity: 1666

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 04:01:54 AM

I am using 2.3.6... I just recently cloned it from the git repo and built it. The number's at 128.89 shares/min now.

You must be referring to the individual GPU line then as it still shows two decimal places.  I thought you were referring to the "U" output in the top right...

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 04:04:40 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question ckolivas:

Is there any advantage to having cgminer listen on multiple large pools for LP's even if you have no intention if mining there? For example:

Pool 0 - The real desired pool
Pool 1 -  Large pool number one
Pool 2 - Large pool number two
Pool 3 - Large pool number three
That is not a dumb question at all and in fact you are right in thinking there may be an advantage, but it is complicated.

The reason comes down to what happens at longpoll time. A longpoll occurs when the block on the network has changed. This is the time you are most likely to submit stale shares because you are working on the old block still when the new block is already spreading throughout the network. Furthermore, once the longpoll hits, you have to throw out all work and ask your pool(s) for more work so it is the time you are most likely to have a drop in hashrate while waiting for the new work (this is why the older releases of cgminer used to say waiting for fresh work).

Now because cgminer checks longpolls from *any* pool you are connected to now, it can tell when the block changes on the network often faster than your primary pool finds out because you may be connected to the pool which discovered the block as well. So cgminer then knows to stop working on anything from that old block in anticipation that it will be wasted work. However until your primary pool discovers that the block has changed, you cannot actually get useful work from it. The beauty of longpoll, though, is that it is actually giving cgminer work as well, so you will be getting work from the backup pools to fill in the trough period until your primary pool finds out the block has changed. For this to be useful, though, you do actually have to be happy for the backup pools to get some of your shares over time, and therefore enough shares have to accumulate to eventually give you a payout from them. If you enable the --failover-only option, you lose this benefit because not only will cgminer stop working on the old block before your primary pool discovers the block has changed, but you won't even accept any work your primary pool gives you until then, so it will dip in hashrate for longer.

There is also one other potential use that I'm not sure if I should point out or not Wink

If you see this:
Code:
 [2012-04-29 13:59:37] LONGPOLL from pool 3 detected new block
 [2012-04-29 13:59:39] LONGPOLL from pool 0 requested work restart

You now have a way of knowing which pool is LIKELY (though not surely) to have found that block if you have most of the major pools in your set up. This means you now have a way to *cough* choose who to hop to, if you're so inclined...

-ck
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 04:09:15 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2012, 04:55:53 AM by kano

What build options did you use or

What is the output of one of:
1) java API config
or
2) echo -n config | nc -4 127.0.0.1 4028 ; echo

If you are windows and 1) doesn't work or you have problems getting either to work just ask

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
bravetheheat

Activity: 457
Merit: 251

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 04:35:21 AM

Hmm... Problem's gone now. Nevermind then, sorry for bothering you. I think it has to do with my installation of ntpd while using cgminer.
ummas

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 05:26:15 AM
Last edit: April 29, 2012, 05:37:38 AM by ummas

Any1 can tell me haw to use zteX board? i`m getting error -3 in the beggining. i got 15y board.
Fiyasko
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001

Okey Dokey Lokey

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 05:54:24 AM

someone help me via pm!!! i tried to update my video drivers and i eneded up installing sdk 2.6, So i followed some advanced removal steps that i stated for me to delete some /windows/inf .inf files, And when i went to install sdk 2.4 It was fine, But when trying to install the display drivers, I ALWAYS get ".inf file not found blah blah cannot install"

I've even tried a system restore, And that device manager install thing doesnt work!, Please help me!, My hashing power and main computer are practically gone!!!

http://bitcoin-otc.com/viewratingdetail.php?nick=DingoRabiit&sign=ANY&type=RECV <-My Ratings
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=857670.0 GAWminers and associated things are not to be trusted, Especially the "mineral" exchange
libertyzeal

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 05:58:18 AM

I have two asus 5770's running on stock Ubuntu 11.04.  aticonfig can read the gpu temps just fine, but these stats don't appear in cgminer.  I've tried numerous versions of cgminer, AMD sdk's, all with the same results.  Sad

https://img.skitch.com/20120429-tgisxymgwsgdj83egw2xr7yue2.jpg

https://img.skitch.com/20120429-8rxk84cg6k3gxr4mb2d933kjpt.jpg

Anyone have any ideas what's causing this?
kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 06:47:12 AM

I have two asus 5770's running on stock Ubuntu 11.04.  aticonfig can read the gpu temps just fine, but these stats don't appear in cgminer.  I've tried numerous versions of cgminer, AMD sdk's, all with the same results.  Sad

Anyone have any ideas what's causing this?
First guess (from the README):
export DISPLAY=:0

(if not, then it becomes a question of how you didn't setup the GUI or other such things)

I would also suggest you use the current version.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 06:55:09 AM

Any1 can tell me haw to use zteX board? i`m getting error -3 in the beggining. i got 15y board.
In my limited ztex knowledge (nelisky wrote that and I don't have one)
The 15y board supported was added with 2.3.6
(It was in 2.3.5 also but best not to use 2.3.5)

But not in 2.3.4 or earlier

ummas

Activity: 274
Merit: 250

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 08:18:02 AM

I`m using now 2.3.6, thats why i know the error code Smiley
i`ll ask nelisky on ztex hardware thread.
zefir
Donator

Activity: 919

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 09:26:33 AM

Con, Luke,

this is from another thread to sort out issues with a throttling BFL Single I have in my 5-unit setup:
[...]
While I am at it, I figured out a SW issue that could be quite relevant for all multi-Single setups driven by cgminer: while I removed the throttling device from the setup for further inspection, the average hashrate of the remaining 4 climbed up noticeably. To double check, I repeatedly run it long enough to exclude variation and this is what I get:
1) running all 5 devices the hashrate for all of them starts at 828 and after running a day the throttling settles at 705 all-time-average, while the properly working ones settle at 790
2) running the 4 proper ones alone, all start at 828 and after the day they are still at ~825

In other words, the throttling one is not just reducing its own hashing power but also those of the proper ones. In my 5-units setup the estimated loss is ~250MH/s.

This could be caused by the communication between PC and Single being frozen during the throttling. From the SW design view there should theoretically be no inter-dependencies, since every device is handled by its own threads. But in practice if the device throttles while communicating to the host and thereby stalls, the related thread will eat its scheduling quantum busy looping the serial port.

Luckily ckolivas is not only cgminer developer but also a Linux scheduler guru, so I'll sort this SW issue out in his thread. Meanwhile I will separate the throttling device from my setup and run it from a different host.

Tl;dr: if you have a multi-BFL Singles setup with one or more throttling units (front LED is blinking now and then) you should consider operating the throttling ones from a different host for a better overall hashrate.

In short, what I am observing is: the one throttling device reproducibly reduces the all-time-average hashrate of the non-throttling devices reported by cgminer (Linux, 2.3.5). I am not sure whether this is just a measurement error or if my assumption with the stalling communication thread causing lags sounds reasonable.

Con, you're da Linux scheduler guru. Any ideas? Since you have no Singles at hand (and even more no reliably throttling ones), I'd try to implement and test potential fixes myself if you had some ideas. Or do you have a throttling one, Luke?

Thanks, zefir

TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 09:32:02 AM

In my limited ztex knowledge (nelisky wrote that and I don't have one)
The 15y board supported was added with 2.3.6
(It was in 2.3.5 also but best not to use 2.3.5)

But not in 2.3.4 or earlier

Hm, as of a week ago there was no code base that actually works on the 1.15y IIUC. Nelisky just had committed some preparatory changes for that, but not the actual thing yet.
I'm not sure if this has changed in the meantime, but from what I know (and I'm not really involved deeply here), it could be possible that 2.3.6 simply doesn't support the 1.15y yet. Ask nelisky for details.

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
TheSeven

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

FPGA Mining LLC

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 09:33:49 AM

Sorry if this is a dumb question ckolivas:

Is there any advantage to having cgminer listen on multiple large pools for LP's even if you have no intention if mining there? For example:

Pool 0 - The real desired pool
Pool 1 -  Large pool number one
Pool 2 - Large pool number two
Pool 3 - Large pool number three
That is not a dumb question at all and in fact you are right in thinking there may be an advantage, but it is complicated.

The reason comes down to what happens at longpoll time. A longpoll occurs when the block on the network has changed. This is the time you are most likely to submit stale shares because you are working on the old block still when the new block is already spreading throughout the network. Furthermore, once the longpoll hits, you have to throw out all work and ask your pool(s) for more work so it is the time you are most likely to have a drop in hashrate while waiting for the new work (this is why the older releases of cgminer used to say waiting for fresh work).

Now because cgminer checks longpolls from *any* pool you are connected to now, it can tell when the block changes on the network often faster than your primary pool finds out because you may be connected to the pool which discovered the block as well. So cgminer then knows to stop working on anything from that old block in anticipation that it will be wasted work. However until your primary pool discovers that the block has changed, you cannot actually get useful work from it. The beauty of longpoll, though, is that it is actually giving cgminer work as well, so you will be getting work from the backup pools to fill in the trough period until your primary pool finds out the block has changed. For this to be useful, though, you do actually have to be happy for the backup pools to get some of your shares over time, and therefore enough shares have to accumulate to eventually give you a payout from them. If you enable the --failover-only option, you lose this benefit because not only will cgminer stop working on the old block before your primary pool discovers the block has changed, but you won't even accept any work your primary pool gives you until then, so it will dip in hashrate for longer.

Note that some pool operators don't really like this behavior because it increases pool load during LPs (and thus stales or other pool users) without actually using the pool much. From what I know some pools even ban you if you do this (submit less than some threshold of shares for a given amount of requested work / long polls).

My tip jar: 13kwqR7B4WcSAJCYJH1eXQcxG5vVUwKAqY
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 29, 2012, 11:23:08 AM

Note that some pool operators don't really like this behavior because it increases pool load during LPs (and thus stales or other pool users) without actually using the pool much. From what I know some pools even ban you if you do this (submit less than some threshold of shares for a given amount of requested work / long polls).
Right, I didn't say it was good practice, sanctioned, moral, appropriate or anything else of the sort. Just casting a purely objective observation about what it did.

-ck
kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 11:49:55 AM

How would a 'large pool' differentiate that from simply being a 'backup' pool?
Would that really mean that no one should use 'large pools' as backups coz they will ban you or reject your shares ...

Actually I get unexpected middle of the round share's rejected by DeepBit that is my backup ...

os2sam
Legendary

Activity: 3578
Merit: 1090

Think for yourself

View Profile
April 29, 2012, 12:44:02 PM

Looks like you may not have ADL support, temps don't show up and your using default clocks it looks like.
Sam

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on usenet and in e-mail?
Pages: « 1 ... 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 221 222 223 224 225 226 227 228 229 230 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252 253 254 255 256 257 258 [259] 260 261 262 263 264 265 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 287 288 289 290 291 292 293 294 295 296 297 298 299 300 301 302 303 304 305 306 307 308 309 ... 843 »
  Print  

Jump to: