Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:12:02 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 231 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Armory - Discussion Thread  (Read 521678 times)
Portnoy
Legendary

Activity: 2030
Merit: 1000

My money; Our Bitcoin.

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 10:54:47 PM

Hi,

After doing further research I have discovered that my transaction size was too large for the 0.0001 transaction fee paid. This was a standard transaction fee set by Armory (My bit coin Client) my Transaction size is 9615 (bytes) so that's nearly 10 Kilobytes which means my Fee should have been 10 x the amount I paid.

I am really annoyed that I wasn't automatically prompted to pay this amount when I did the transaction, and now my money is just stuck in the network trying hard to find some miner (or mining pool) that is generous enough to include my cheap transaction instead of other transactions that pay a higher fee per kilobyte.

As such is there anyway to cancel this transaction so that the Bit Coins are returned to my Wallet? I want to be able to re-send this again without double spending, but this time with a higher transaction fee so it will confirm through the network more quickly.

I have been told that it may still confirm but I could be waiting upto 10 days, the merchant cant wait that long to receive his money.
If I had know I would have increased the fee to 0.001 without hesitation... this is really frustrating.

I have been told that there may be a way to remove the transaction from the wallet and the block chain, or Eventually (usually within 2 to 4 days) if the transaction isn't confirmed, it will be dropped from the memory pool of the peers and the coins returned?

I've had this happen with other clients and after 3 days got the coins back.  

There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Ilan1

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:09:54 PM

Hi,

After doing further research I have discovered that my transaction size was too large for the 0.0001 transaction fee paid. This was a standard transaction fee set by Armory (My bit coin Client) my Transaction size is 9615 (bytes) so that's nearly 10 Kilobytes which means my Fee should have been 10 x the amount I paid.

I am really annoyed that I wasn't automatically prompted to pay this amount when I did the transaction, and now my money is just stuck in the network trying hard to find some miner (or mining pool) that is generous enough to include my cheap transaction instead of other transactions that pay a higher fee per kilobyte.

As such is there anyway to cancel this transaction so that the Bit Coins are returned to my Wallet? I want to be able to re-send this again without double spending, but this time with a higher transaction fee so it will confirm through the network more quickly.

I have been told that it may still confirm but I could be waiting upto 10 days, the merchant cant wait that long to receive his money.
If I had know I would have increased the fee to 0.001 without hesitation... this is really frustrating.

I have been told that there may be a way to remove the transaction from the wallet and the block chain, or Eventually (usually within 2 to 4 days) if the transaction isn't confirmed, it will be dropped from the memory pool of the peers and the coins returned?

Okay, so you fell into a dead spot in the fee logic.  We recently discovered a bug that causes Armory to under-calculate the fee for certain kinds of transactions.  This was already discovered and fixed for 0.91-beta (will be releasing a proper testing version of it soon).    This affects a very small number of transactions, but it appears you fell into that crack...

As for resolving it... you could consider using Help->Clear All Unconfirmed, then restart Armory (and Bitcoin-Qt/bitcoind, if running it manually).  Then try re-sending the tx.  If it was an offline tx, you will be able to simply rebroadcast (don't need to recreate and re-sign it).  The success of this operation depends on how many peers you are connected to that still remember it. Once there is a critical mass that have forgotten it (maybe 10-20%), your transaction will go through

Thank you I will give this a try, it was an offline transaction and the signed transaction has a low fee of 0.0001 which is what caused the problem in the first place... If I want to increase this to 0.001, is there anyway of doing this without creating and signing a new transaction? Thanks for your help.

LTCgear.com Review http://ltcgear.co.ukhttp://ltcgear.com/?apage=120 - 160mh/s for $850 use coupon code "anniversary1yr" - Active Multi Algorithm cloud mining in Scrypt, X11 and Scrypt-N - ROI in 5 Weeks
Ilan1

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:11:23 PM

Hi,

I've had this happen with other clients and after 3 days got the coins back.  

Thanks, this is a great relief to know, what happens to the transaction in the block chain, does it just disappear?

LTCgear.com Review http://ltcgear.co.ukhttp://ltcgear.com/?apage=120 - 160mh/s for $850 use coupon code "anniversary1yr" - Active Multi Algorithm cloud mining in Scrypt, X11 and Scrypt-N - ROI in 5 Weeks
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 04, 2014, 11:12:09 PM

Thank you I will give this a try, it was an offline transaction and the signed transaction has a low fee of 0.0001 which is what caused the problem in the first place... If I want to increase this to 0.001, is there anyway of doing this without creating and signing a new transaction? Thanks for your help.

Whoops -- I misspoke.  You definitely have to recreate and re-sign, if you're going to increase the fee.  The directions I gave above are given to people whose tx get stuck because of network issues, not fee issues.  In those cases, they just need to rebroadcast -- but you'll definitely need to recreate and re-sign it.

Founder and CEO of Armory Technologies, Inc.
Armory Bitcoin Wallet: Bringing cold storage to the average user!
Only use Armory software signed by the Armory Offline Signing Key (0x98832223)

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Ilan1

View Profile
March 04, 2014, 11:18:12 PM

Whoops -- I misspoke.  You definitely have to recreate and re-sign, if you're going to increase the fee.  The directions I gave above are given to people whose tx get stuck because of network issues, not fee issues.  In those cases, they just need to rebroadcast -- but you'll definitely need to recreate and re-sign it.

Thank you, I did already try doing this, but the network thought I was "double spending" and therefore would not add my "new" transaction to the Block Chain, how do I clear the old transaction from the block chain to allow me to create a new one?

e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:27:07 PM

Hi,

Im using Armory 0.9 Beta on OSX, it seems to sync up with the network and stuff OK, but in the bottom right where it either says "disconnected" or "Connected (288888 blocks)" it flashes very quickly between these two messages, like a couple of times per second.

Sometimes it is predominantly 'disconnected' but I can see it flashing, and sometimes it is 'Connected (288888 blocks)' and it flashes...

Anyone else experience this/able to help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks.

This sounds like your bitcoin Qt has reached -maxconnections and won't allow Armory to become max+1. Maybe try launching Armory the instant that Bitcoin client is launched, as it could be that your router is limiting p2p network connections (this will give Armory the best opportunity to be allocated with one of the p2p connection slots)

Even if that's not it, it would be useful to have some mechanism whereby Armory can take priority over other connections, as I've had this problem myself (solved by changing the network environment to allow more p2p connections to bitcoind). Possibly a point for core development, though.

Carlton i think you might have hit the nail on the head here... I have modified my bitcoin.conf to only allow Bitcoin-QT to have 10 connections max, also I am usually letting it sync fully (maxxing out the connections to 10) before starting Armory, so I guess it sounds like what you have experienced...

i do also have a slightly dodgey router though, even though it is supposed to be decent it needs a hard reset once or twice a day which I KNOW is not right but I have tried absolutely everythign to sort that out...

Will try opening Armory quickly after Bitcoin-QT is opened to try and get it in a 'reserved' slot when I get home tonight

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
WiiD

Activity: 756

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 03:35:52 PM

Since i got it work properly, now every ~5 hours my Windows says that Armory does'nt work anymore and it had to be closed. After relaunching, it has to always scan about 2-3 hours for Transaction History. So even if i had my PC turned on the hole day and night, i can't access my BTCs if i need them. There is the Transaction History Scanning for 2-3 hours every time, and then about a hour later, sometimes just 10 minutes, it crashes and anything repeats.

Could you please fix BOTH (Transaction History Scanning everytime) (Armory crashes all time) problems with Armory 0.9.1? When it will be available? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? I just need a time frame.
ShadowOfHarbringer
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1005

Bringing Legendary Har® to you since 1952

View Profile
March 05, 2014, 09:39:04 PM

Hello @etotheipi,

Any plans for BIP38 in Armory anytime soon ?

What is the status of BIP38?  I haven't been following the discussion. 
Well i haven't been following the discussion as well, but for example https://bitcoinpaperwallet.com/ already supports it.

It seems the implementation is not very widespread across Bitcoin clients however.

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 01:30:09 AM

Hi,

Im using Armory 0.9 Beta on OSX, it seems to sync up with the network and stuff OK, but in the bottom right where it either says "disconnected" or "Connected (288888 blocks)" it flashes very quickly between these two messages, like a couple of times per second.

Sometimes it is predominantly 'disconnected' but I can see it flashing, and sometimes it is 'Connected (288888 blocks)' and it flashes...

Thanks.

This sounds like your bitcoin Qt has reached -maxconnections and won't allow Armory to become max+1. Maybe try launching Armory the instant that Bitcoin client is launched, as it could be that your router is limiting p2p network connections (this will give Armory the best opportunity to be allocated with one of the p2p connection slots)

Even if that's not it, it would be useful to have some mechanism whereby Armory can take priority over other connections, as I've had this problem myself (solved by changing the network environment to allow more p2p connections to bitcoind). Possibly a point for core development, though.

Carlton i think you might have hit the nail on the head here... I have modified my bitcoin.conf to only allow Bitcoin-QT to have 10 connections max, also I am usually letting it sync fully (maxxing out the connections to 10) before starting Armory, so I guess it sounds like what you have experienced...

i do also have a slightly dodgey router though, even though it is supposed to be decent it needs a hard reset once or twice a day which I KNOW is not right but I have tried absolutely everythign to sort that out...

Will try opening Armory quickly after Bitcoin-QT is opened to try and get it in a 'reserved' slot when I get home tonight

If that is the case you can put a "connect=IP-of-armoury-machine" in bitcoin.conf ... maybe even a "addnode=IP-of-armoury-machine" will suffice, where IP-of-armoury-machine=127.0.0.1 for localhost.

etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 06, 2014, 07:17:26 AM

Since i got it work properly, now every ~5 hours my Windows says that Armory does'nt work anymore and it had to be closed. After relaunching, it has to always scan about 2-3 hours for Transaction History. So even if i had my PC turned on the hole day and night, i can't access my BTCs if i need them. There is the Transaction History Scanning for 2-3 hours every time, and then about a hour later, sometimes just 10 minutes, it crashes and anything repeats.

Could you please fix BOTH (Transaction History Scanning everytime) (Armory crashes all time) problems with Armory 0.9.1? When it will be available? Tomorrow? Next week? Next month? I just need a time frame.

At the very least, the scanning is fixed in the latest version currently in testing (0.91-beta).  0.90 rescans every time there's a crash, but we determined that was wholly unnecessary.  A couple pages back I posted a testing version you can try.  You'll have to rebuild and rescan the first time, but you shouldn't have any rescanning after that unless you import or sweep private keys. 

Though, that testing version is a still a bit too young for most people.  I think we will have the new version officially out in a couple weeks.

Please donate to the Armory project by clicking here!    (or donate directly via 1QBDLYTDFHHZAABYSKGKPWKLSXZWCCJQBX -- yes, it's a real address!)
Carlton Banks
Legendary

Activity: 3430
Merit: 3071

View Profile
March 06, 2014, 05:04:04 PM

If that is the case you can put a "connect=IP-of-armoury-machine" in bitcoin.conf ... maybe even a "addnode=IP-of-armoury-machine" will suffice, where IP-of-armoury-machine=127.0.0.1 for localhost.

That's a good tip, although in my specific situation I'm not sure what the effect would've been, as I had p2pool connecting to bitcoind on the same machine back when it was an issue (the reason I was limiting -maxconnections). I now have  separate machines to run Armory and p2pool, thankfully.

I'm wondering now whether there's a router on the market with a drivebay, SATA interface and some slightly unnecessary CPU capacity. Would be great for running the household bitcoind node.

Vires in numeris
Zoella

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:35:15 AM

At the very least, the scanning is fixed in the latest version currently in testing (0.91-beta).  0.90 rescans every time there's a crash, but we determined that was wholly unnecessary.  A couple pages back I posted a testing version you can try.  You'll have to rebuild and rescan the first time, but you shouldn't have any rescanning after that unless you import or sweep private keys. 

Though, that testing version is a still a bit too young for most people.  I think we will have the new version officially out in a couple weeks.

Is the slowness issue on linux fixed?

https://github.com/etotheipi/BitcoinArmory/issues/171

The wallet just got slower and slower after receiving approximately 2 transactions a day for a month for me. Now it's completely unusable.

Linux test version of 0.91-beta?
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 04:11:05 AM

The wallet just got slower and slower after receiving approximately 2 transactions a day for a month for me. Now it's completely unusable.

We put in a fix for some of the most serious slowness issues.  There was some inefficiencies in the way it stored and scanned live unconfirmed transactions, that only became apparent when the network volume picked up in recent months.  0.91-beta should have that fixed.

Don't use the testing version yet.  Simply close Armory, go to your ~/.armory directory and delete mempool.bin.  Restart Armory.  mempool.bin will reaccumulate, but it should take a couple days for it to bog down your system again, then simply redo it.  0.91 will have this fixed.

Let me know if that's not it.  (also, how big is your mempool.bin, before you delete it?)

Zoella

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 04:30:45 AM

We put in a fix for some of the most serious slowness issues.  There was some inefficiencies in the way it stored and scanned live unconfirmed transactions, that only became apparent when the network volume picked up in recent months.  0.91-beta should have that fixed.

Don't use the testing version yet.  Simply close Armory, go to your ~/.armory directory and delete mempool.bin.  Restart Armory.  mempool.bin will reaccumulate, but it should take a couple days for it to bog down your system again, then simply redo it.  0.91 will have this fixed.

Let me know if that's not it.  (also, how big is your mempool.bin, before you delete it?)

Did a complete reinstall a couple days ago (including rebuilding OS). Imported wallets and synced, but it immediately locked up after first sync. I was never able to access wallet properties or the transaction tab. Just deleted mempool.bin (6.5MB) and starting up again.
exponential

Activity: 94
Merit: 10

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 08:59:41 AM

Is there anywhere I can see an example of a Wallet being restored from the paper backup?
milkshoe

Activity: 6
Merit: 0

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 11:15:21 AM

Is there anywhere I can see an example of a Wallet being restored from the paper backup?
Just try it by yourself Smiley It's working like a charme!

I cannot imagine to use a better wallet than Armory! But as I wrote here https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=503631.0 I am concerned about usb key security (I am ultra paranoid).

Currently the safest method for transferring unsigned&signed transactions is to type it by hand into the computers, right? Now I am asking myself if I can loose my Bitcoins when I have a typo in my transaction plaintext (which is very likely) or does Armory check the file integrity and I just need to check the transaction details Armory brings up to me.

Or should I better wait for your audio transfer feature? (So awesome!)
Zoella

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:02:22 PM

At the very least, the scanning is fixed in the latest version currently in testing (0.91-beta).  0.90 rescans every time there's a crash, but we determined that was wholly unnecessary.  A couple pages back I posted a testing version you can try.  You'll have to rebuild and rescan the first time, but you shouldn't have any rescanning after that unless you import or sweep private keys.  

Though, that testing version is a still a bit too young for most people.  I think we will have the new version officially out in a couple weeks.

We put in a fix for some of the most serious slowness issues.  There was some inefficiencies in the way it stored and scanned live unconfirmed transactions, that only became apparent when the network volume picked up in recent months.  0.91-beta should have that fixed.

Don't use the testing version yet.  Simply close Armory, go to your ~/.armory directory and delete mempool.bin.  Restart Armory.  mempool.bin will reaccumulate, but it should take a couple days for it to bog down your system again, then simply redo it.  0.91 will have this fixed.

Let me know if that's not it.  (also, how big is your mempool.bin, before you delete it?)

Did a complete reinstall a couple days ago (including rebuilding OS). Imported wallets and synced, but it immediately locked up after first sync. I was never able to access wallet properties or the transaction tab. Just deleted mempool.bin (6.5MB) and starting up again.

OK, after restarting sans mempool.bin, the system threw up an error message about syncing. Bottom right corner said connected (false blocks), and a mouse over stated 500+ months behind. Again deleted mempool.bin which had grown to 11MB and restarted. Now showing connected (0 blocks) for the last hour while it synced/built database. Scanning transaction history is now estimated at 60 months and the app has frozen again. The mempool.bin file is currently 455.2kB.
CircusPeanut

Activity: 123

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 03:06:53 PM

Here is demo that I did for a user:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTwbc3fJsEg

At minute 29 we get into restoring from a backup.

There is quite a bit of content on this video although it's just an unedited google hangout so the quality is not so great.

I am concerned about usb key security (I am ultra paranoid).

Currently the safest method for transferring unsigned&signed transactions is to type it by hand into the computers, right? Now I am asking myself if I can loose my Bitcoins when I have a typo in my transaction plaintext (which is very likely) or does Armory check the file integrity and I just need to check the transaction details Armory brings up to me.

Or should I better wait for your audio transfer feature? (So awesome!)

The audio transfer feature is 1 or 2 releases away, so you might have to wait a little while.

A USB key is reasonably safe if you only use it for only this purpose on only one online computer.

If you go with manual entry that is the safest although most inconvenient. You do not have to worry about losing your bitcoins. You will have a chance to verify and double check the receiving addresses and amounts before you broadcast your transaction. If you took the time to type it all out, you can take the time to double check the receiving addresses and amounts.
e4xit

Activity: 302

View Profile
March 07, 2014, 05:44:58 PM

Hi,

Thanks.

Just to follow this issue up, this worked perfectly for me. The next thing I can think of is to add Armory as a forced connection into the bitcoin.conf file so that I don't have to worry about when I start it up...

If I was going to do this, how would I go about it? What address does Armory connect to QT from? I take it it will look something like:

addnode=127.0.0.1

...but bit of n00b about this stuff. Thanks

Not your keys, not your coins.
CoinJoin, always.
etotheipi (OP)
Legendary

Core Armory Developer

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2014, 05:46:43 PM

Just to follow this issue up, this worked perfectly for me. The next thing I can think of is to add Armory as a forced connection into the bitcoin.conf file so that I don't have to worry about when I start it up...

If I was going to do this, how would I go about it? What address does Armory connect to QT from? I take it it will look something like:

addnode=127.0.0.1

...but bit of n00b about this stuff. Thanks

FYI, I'm not positive about this because I'm not that familiar with Tor, but I believe when using Tor, all connections appear to be from 127.0.0.1... so it's not necessarily safe in all  environments.  Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

Pages: « 1 ... 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 [165] 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 ... 231 »
  Print  

Jump to: