Bitcoin Forum
April 26, 2024, 09:53:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 05:25:03 PM

Did you guys see the Lenovo blow up today, this is on the order of Sony's rootkit fiasco.

Lenovo PCs ship with man-in-the-middle adware that breaks HTTPS connections
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

At least with Lenovo I can choose not to deal with them. However when it comes to money I have to deal with FED dollars and banks like HSBC. Oh wait, no I don't  Wink
It will be interesting to see if the US tech industry survives, or if this is the beginning of the end.

There's some pretty strong poison in that well, and surely we've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far.
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 06:28:44 PM

Did you guys see the Lenovo blow up today, this is on the order of Sony's rootkit fiasco.

http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/02/lenovo-pcs-ship-with-man-in-the-middle-adware-that-breaks-https-connections/

At least with Lenovo I can choose not to deal with them. However when it comes to money I have to deal with FED dollars and banks like HSBC. Oh wait, no I don't  Wink
It will be interesting to see if the US tech industry survives, or if this is the beginning of the end.

There's some pretty strong poison in that well, and surely we've only seen the tip of the iceberg so far.

Lenovo is a Chinese company, Sony a Japanese company..... (Yes Lenovo's PC came from IBM, but that was years ago and the transfer was complete a while ago.)

If anything this is reinforcing "buy american" in people's minds.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 06:47:15 PM

Lenovo is a Chinese company, Sony a Japanese company..... (Yes Lenovo's PC came from IBM, but that was years ago and the transfer was complete a while ago.)

If anything this is reinforcing "buy american" in people's minds.

or it could just very well be that the average Joe/Lee actually dgaf..
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 08:13:39 PM

Interesting:

"Another interesting fact that caught Wizsec’s eyes was the Willy’s static nature during the Japanese sleeping hours. The Mt. Gox bot was supposed to be automatic, but as it turns out there was hardly any trading activity. This speculation multiplied the belief that the bot was actually being controlled manually — probably by Mark Karpeles."

http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/05/27/mtgox-willy-markus/
I follow this guy on twitter and I admire him, but the article doesn't make much sense:

"For a pump and dump, there has to be a quick pump (buy action) to generate mass momentum, followed by a dump.
In this case, there was no quick pump; the buy orders were deliberately smeared across a very long time period. And there was no dump until the very end stage.
It's as simple as that. No fast pump, no dump, therefore not a pump and dump."

^^^What? This is false. A pump&dump doesn't have to be executed quickly to be a pump&dump, unless we are talking half a year to a year. The $1200 pump lasted two to three months. 2-3 months is a small time frame for a pump of that magnitude.

Large buys like those WILL have a BIG impact on the price, whether made in smaller chunks or not (impossible to buy that quantity of coins in a few market buys, literally impossible).

Also, is the author completely ignoring the fact that one of the mtgox bots (markus I believe) was buying with FAKE FIAT (amounts of money mtgox didn't actually have)? He didn't mention that.
Markus bought a gigantic quantity of BTC basically for free and Emin argues that that doesn't indicate any fraudulent activity?

you don't know it was FAKE FIAT.

gox could've been buying on behalf of a large whale.  plus, volumes on Chinese exchanges were large at the time.

What about all the bots shorting the market now with FAKE BITCOIN. 

I don't really believe in market manipulation on a wide scale, especially since we have a publicly verifiable blockchain, but it could be happening.

yes, it could be.  i'm suspicious of BitFinex.  an audit of them would be worthwhile.

i'd love for naked shorts to be caught with their pants down, if it is occurring, and watch them scramble for a bailout in fiat.

Bolded for emphasis.  Cheesy

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

msin
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1004

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 08:48:02 PM

A quite good summary, but I loled at "would cause a disruptive ripple effect in society".
My brain is like "Ripple, nooooo!" Grin

Ha, yeah, I cringe every time someone mentions the word "Ripple"
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 10:51:06 PM

The current public image of bitcoin:

The ISIS angle
The money laundering angle
The trust us, we can break anything on the net angle
The illegal trade angle
The regulation angle
The danger dealing with strangers angle

This is just the MSM revving up their engine. They still don't know what is going to hit them, but they sense it is something dangerous.

Anyway, don't lose faith, this is only growing pains for bitcoin. The internet had it, computer cryptography had it, the video cassette had it, even the postcard had it.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 11:24:08 PM

molecular:

can the Trezor ppl see our balances and tx's while the Trezor is logged into myTrezor.com?

yes, unfortunately. At least they're not using your xpub key to transfer addresses to watch, so they don't know your future keys (except the 5 or so per account they scan ahead).

That's my biggest criticism with myTrezor and it's why I switched to electrum as soon as the development code had trezor working. It's not perfect with electrum, either, but better (I don't know exactly what, but they do some stuff to increase privacy towards server operators).

I went to the hassle of running my own electrum server (public, of course, so I can hide in the masses when broadcasting transactions). Feel free to use it (electrum.0x0000.de), I'm not logging anything or looking at the traffic in any way.

How could they overlook such an obvious privacy violation when designing the wallet?   It should be a local client that broadcasts tx's out  to the network.
molecular
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2772
Merit: 1019

View Profile
February 20, 2015, 11:37:47 PM

molecular:

can the Trezor ppl see our balances and tx's while the Trezor is logged into myTrezor.com?

yes, unfortunately. At least they're not using your xpub key to transfer addresses to watch, so they don't know your future keys (except the 5 or so per account they scan ahead).

That's my biggest criticism with myTrezor and it's why I switched to electrum as soon as the development code had trezor working. It's not perfect with electrum, either, but better (I don't know exactly what, but they do some stuff to increase privacy towards server operators).

I went to the hassle of running my own electrum server (public, of course, so I can hide in the masses when broadcasting transactions). Feel free to use it (electrum.0x0000.de), I'm not logging anything or looking at the traffic in any way.

How could they overlook such an obvious privacy violation when designing the wallet?   It should be a local client that broadcasts tx's out  to the network.

The broadcast isn't the only privacy problem inherent to the client/server thin wallet design, watching for incoming money another one.

They didn't overlook it, they accepted it for lack of a good solution.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
Erdogan
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 12:00:14 AM

molecular:

How could they overlook such an obvious privacy violation when designing the wallet?   It should be a local client that broadcasts tx's out  to the network.

The broadcast isn't the only privacy problem inherent to the client/server thin wallet design, watching for incoming money another one.

It seems the trezor compatibility has been slower than expected for most wallets. I look forward to Armory/Trezor compatibility. It seems they have to change their HD wallet to the standard BIP32 wallet first, which is probably more work/risk than implementing the trezor support. In Armory, it would resemble the existing off line signing, the change is just to use USB communication in stead of the current file based communication. EDIT: Maybe more, not an expert.

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 12:03:24 AM

molecular:

I have no problem with running a full node with s local client to maintain privac.  That should've been an option.
grendel25
Legendary

Activity: 2282
Merit: 1031

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 02:52:10 AM

And gold will collapse even more now that scientists have been able to produce gold by using bacteria.  bitcoin is far more relevant and useful as a currency.  Gold is still valuable but if the bacteria method of gold production is industrialized then gold prices will stabilize greatly...it won't be as volatile and shouldn't really be as costly.

..EPICENTRAL .....
..EPIC: Epic Private Internet Cash..
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████████████▀▀█████▄
▄████████████▀▀▀    ██████▄
████████▀▀▀   ▄▀   ████████
█████▄     ▄█▀     ████████
████████▄ █▀      █████████
▀████████▌▐       ████████▀
▀████████ ▄██▄  ████████▀
▀█████████████▄███████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████████████████████▄
▄████████▀█████▀████████▄
▄██████▀  ▀     ▀  ▀██████▄
██████▌             ▐██████
██████    ██   ██    ██████
█████▌    ▀▀   ▀▀    ▐█████
▀█████▄  ▄▄     ▄▄  ▄█████▀
▀██████▄▄███████▄▄██████▀
▀█████████████████████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
[/center]
explorer
Legendary

Activity: 2016
Merit: 1259

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 05:24:38 AM

And gold will collapse even more now that scientists have been able to produce gold by using bacteria.  bitcoin is far more relevant and useful as a currency.  Gold is still valuable but if the bacteria method of gold production is industrialized then gold prices will stabilize greatly...it won't be as volatile and shouldn't really be as costly.

Depends on the efficiency of the bacteria patent enforcer.
rpietila
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 09:04:56 AM

if the bacteria method of gold production is industrialized then gold prices will stabilize greatly...it won't be as volatile and shouldn't really be as costly.

Volatility will increase when uncertainty is introduced.

The current volatility of the price of gold is man-made, it serves the interests of the money-masters. And: it's not the price of gold that is measured; gold is the yardstick to measure the value of everything else, especially the CB/fiat/financial assets. It's not about the value of a yellow metal, since the metal has little to no value, it's about the fact of having a "way to call the bluff of the financial system", and that we have not only with gold, but in Bitcoin as well now.

If the stocks:flows ratio becomes uncertain with the technological advances, we will have natural market volatility on top of the manipulation.

HIM TVA Dragon, AOK-GM, Emperor of the Earth, Creator of the World, King of Crypto Kingdom, Lord of Malla, AOD-GEN, SA-GEN5, Ministry of Plenty (Join NOW!), Professor of Economics and Theology, Ph.D, AM, Chairman, Treasurer, Founder, CEO, 3*MG-2, 82*OHK, NKP, WTF, FFF, etc(x3)
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 05:36:49 PM

molecular:

How could they overlook such an obvious privacy violation when designing the wallet?   It should be a local client that broadcasts tx's out  to the network.

I have no problem with running a full node with s local client to maintain privac.  That should've been an option.

Satoshilabs is not in the business of making wallet software. They just made myTrezor site as a preliminary solution until wallet devs implemented trezor support.

I think maybe you want trezor support in bitcoin-qt (or bitcoin core or what it's called)?

You could rather easily use "bitcoind + local electrum server + electrum"

Also: maybe multibit might be a solution? Not sure how far the trezor support is, though.

PGP key molecular F9B70769 fingerprint 9CDD C0D3 20F8 279F 6BE0  3F39 FC49 2362 F9B7 0769
molecular
Donator
Legendary

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 05:45:06 PM

Good thing we have crypto. Otherwise (with our human greed), we'd probably turn the whole planet into gold in the long run.

rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 10:03:45 PM

Good thing we have crypto. Otherwise (with our human greed), we'd probably turn the whole planet into gold in the long run.

Bacteria can not produce gold, you need a nuclear reaction to do that.

They found a bacteria that can live in gold chlroride, and does so by extracting the gold content into solid micro nuggets. This is simply another method to mine gold, but the ledger of gold atoms is still intact. Gold chlroride BTW is both rare and expensive.

Now if anyone ever found a method to profitably extract gold from ocean water....
Kupsi
Legendary

Activity: 1193
Merit: 1003

9.9.2012: I predict that single digits... <- FAIL

View Profile
February 21, 2015, 10:39:35 PM

My favourite client, Armory, will also support Trezor in the future.
hdbuck
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 01:16:06 AM

Gary Shilling says oil is going to $10

http://uk.businessinsider.com/gary-shilling-oil-is-going-to-10-2015-2?r=US
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 01:25:31 AM

My favourite client, Armory, will also support Trezor in the future.

how would that work?  Trezor replace the offline signing wallet?
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 22, 2015, 01:26:13 AM

that "shill" has made a bundle off appreciating UST's since 1980.  calculate that one out.
Pages: « 1 ... 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 1068 1069 1070 [1071] 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 1121 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: