Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 01:24:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 843 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.1  (Read 5805205 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 09:49:17 PM

also, why don't you just include an opencl.dll in the package?
cgminer is free software distributed under the GNU Public License.

opencl.dll is demon spawn distributed under the "sacrifice all your first born" license.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BkkCoins

Activity: 784
Merit: 1009

firstbits:1MinerQ

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 10:12:50 PM
Last edit: February 02, 2012, 12:22:10 AM by BkkCoins

im a failure :/

No worries, trial & error is a learning process - personally, I'd rather fail and learn than succeed without understanding why. Try going through this thread and experiment with different methods, then choose the one that works best for you.
I've posted this before in this thread but I guess every now and then it's helpful to refresh as it's a long topic and hard to read everything.

Assuming Ubuntu, which now uses Upstart the correct way to start cgminer at boot is with a conf file located in /etc/init. This doesn't require any auto-login or other stuff. Just one simple extra file in the right place. Here is a working example that I have used for many months,

/etc/init/miner.conf
Code:
description     "Start BTC Mining"

start on runlevel [2345]
stop on runlevel [016]
kill timeout 30
script
  sleep 15
  cd /home/ubuntu
  exec /usr/bin/screen -dmS Miner su -c /usr/local/bin/startcg ubuntu
end script
Note above it runs as user "ubuntu" but you should replace that with your user name. It is more secure to not run as root user, which would be the default during an init process like this. The "sleep" I have there is to allow time for X to be started at boot. There is a better way but this works fine too. I use "screen" to allow me to remote in with ssh and attach/detach as desired. If you're not familiar with that then google it. You can not bother with screen but then it's harder to login remotely and see realtime status. Also, if it's not already installed then "sudo apt-get install screen" would be needed before using this.

This conf file starts cgminer by running the startcg script. You can put what you need in there. Mine contains:
Code:
#!/bin/bash

export AMDAPPSDKROOT=/home/ubuntu/AMD-APP-SDK-v2.4-lnx32/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=${AMDAPPSDKROOT}lib/x86:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH}
export DISPLAY=:0

cgminer 2>>/var/log/cgminer.log
Yours may be a bit different but typically pretty similar to this. I use cgminer.conf but some people like to use the cmd line args in this file instead.

Useful things to know:
To start mining manually: sudo start miner
To attach to cgminer after remote login: sudo screen -r  
(I make an alias for this, alias mm='sudo screen -r' and put it in .bashrc file)
To detach from within cgminer: <ctrl>A D
You can disable starting at boot by renaming the conf file, eg. mv miner.conf miner.conf.down
(that's handy when changing GPU cards so they don't start with wrong settings).

kentrolla

Activity: 1526
Merit: 564

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
February 01, 2012, 10:23:23 PM

is there going to be an update soon that fixes the windows xp bug?

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
█████████████████████████
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
bulanula

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:07:06 AM

Repost from here so ckolivas is on the case : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53199.20

Does the cgminer work with AMD SDK 2.1 ?

It seems it does not because it is looking for a file called "libOpenCL.so.1" which only comes with SDK 2.4 it seems while SDK 2.1 comes with a file called "libOpenCL.so" ( without the 1 at the end ) !?

Can we make it work somehow ? Modify the code ?

Thanks !

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:17:49 AM

Repost from here so ckolivas is on the case : https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=53199.20

It seems it does not because it is looking for a file called "libOpenCL.so.1" which only comes with SDK 2.4 it seems while SDK 2.1 comes with a file called "libOpenCL.so" ( without the 1 at the end ) !?

Thanks !

Code:
cd /usr/lib
sudo ln -s libOpenCL.so libOpenCL.so.1
Or wherever your linux has it ...

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
kentrolla

Activity: 1526
Merit: 564

Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

View Profile WWW
February 02, 2012, 12:20:38 AM

update to fix winxp bug PLZ

▄▄████████▄▄
▄▄████████████████▄▄
▄██
████████████████████▄
▄███
██████████████████████▄
▄████
███████████████████████▄
███████████████████████▄
█████████████████▄███████
████████████████▄███████▀
██████████▄▄███▄██████▀
████████▄████▄█████▀▀
██████▄██████████▀
███▄▄█████
███████▄
██▄██████████████
░▄██████████████▀
▄█████████████▀
████████████
███████████▀
███████▀▀
▄▄███████▄▄
▄███████████████▄
▄███████████████████▄
▄██████████
███████████
▄███████████████████████▄
▀█
██████████████████████▀
▀██
███████████████████▀
▀███████████████████▀
▀█████████
██████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
 ElonCoin.org 
████████▄▄███████▄▄
███████▄████████████▌
██████▐██▀███████▀▀██
███████████████████▐█▌
████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██▄▄▄▄▄
███▐███▀▄█▄█▀▀█▄█▄▀
███████████████████
█████████████▄████
█████████▀░▄▄▄▄▄
███████▄█▄░▀█▄▄░▀
███▄██▄▀███▄█████▄▀
▄██████▄▀███████▀
████████▄▀████▀
█████▄▄
"I could either watch it
happen or be a part of it"
▬▬▬▬▬
bulanula

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:22:55 AM

Thanks !

Code:
cd /usr/lib
sudo ln -s libOpenCL.so libOpenCL.so.1
Or wherever your linux has it ...

Thank you very much ! You are a genius. Spend so much time trying to figure this one out. LOL !

Thanks ckolivas for this great software ! Can I use the poclbm kernel with this ?

What happens if the GPU fan dies and I am away from the miner ? It just fries the card or does it halt the mining on that specific card with the dead fan ?

Thanks kano and ckolivas again !
kano
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:28:43 AM

Hmm, my first thought that came to mind was Will Smith in the movie Hancock: "Say that one more time ..."

Seriously, why post that twice 4 posts apart?

It's pointless the first time coz you aren't even saying what the stupid problem is you have and then the second time it's just annoying.

But I could also add the other obvious reply Smiley

There is no fix for windows xp - windows xp is just one very large bug and all the MS fixes since then don't seem to have resolved that ... vista, 7, 8 ... Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
bulanula

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:30:06 AM

Hmm, my first thought that came to mind was Will Smith in the movie Hancock: "Say that one more time ..."

Seriously, why post that twice 4 posts apart?

It's pointless the first time coz you aren't even saying what the stupid problem is you have and then the second time it's just annoying.

There is no fix for windows xp - windows xp is just one very large bug and all the MS fixes since then don't seem to have resolved that ... vista, 7, 8 ... Tongue

Yeah. IMHO kano is totally right. The author is the kernel scheduler guy. I think there should not even be a cgminer for Windblows at all or if it was then no support. If you are a serious miner stick to Linux ! Thanks again kano and ckolivas !
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:33:03 AM

Yeah. IMHO kano is totally right.

Well, there's a first time for everything, but this isn't one of them.   WinXP is very stable, and has been for a long time.  Yes, Vista sucked, but Windows 7 is just as stable as XP and perfectly usable as an everyday OS.

Honestly you just embarrass yourself by posting generic clichés like that.

rjk

Activity: 448

1ngldh

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:38:05 AM

Well, there's a first time for everything, but this isn't one of them.   WinXP is very stable, and has been for a long time.  Yes, Vista sucked, but Windows 7 is just as stable as XP and perfectly usable as an everyday OS.

It deserves to die, please bury it ASAP. I agree that Windows 7 is much better and is a huge leap in terms of security, but for mining you only need the most basic Linux distro and no fancy GUI.

Mining Rig Extraordinaire - the Trenton BPX6806 18-slot PCIe backplane [PICS] Dead project is dead, all hail the coming of the mighty ASIC!
kano
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:38:57 AM

Yeah. IMHO kano is totally right.

I was just joking of course Tongue
I think that was obvious.

But the point is that mr kentrolla was last complaining about cgminer not working properly in a virtual windows - so seriously yeah no one's gonna take any notice of that.

Otherwise - if he has some actual windows xp problem, speak up ...

jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:43:30 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2012, 12:54:24 AM by jake262144

Yes, Vista sucked, but Windows 7 is just as stable as XP and perfectly usable as an everyday OS...
There, without knowing what you just said, you said it.
Windows is a decent everyday OS.
Serious bitcoin mining, however, is much simpler, easier, and less resource-intensive using a leaner, task-oriented OS like your favourite Linux flavor.

What good do automatic updates, insane amounts of background housekeeping stuff, the indexing service, or wide open NETBIOS ports do you for bitcoin mining purposes?
How suitable for mining are all those default Power Management options? How useful are System Restore and Shadow Files?
For all those useless (from mining POV) features you don't even get a functional Remote Desktop server...
...and worst of all, you have to dole out money for the doubtful pleasure of installing Windows on your mining rig.
Insanity.
bulanula

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:45:24 AM

OK. For SDK 2.1 to work it seems you need to get this ( for future reference ) :

miner@mining:/# find / -name libOpenCL.so.1

/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so.1
/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/libOpenCL.so.1
/usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.1

Thanks !
sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 12:59:27 AM

AH... I see we are Windows bashing again.

Some people need Windows because they mine with 69XX cards. You can lower the mem to 300 with MSI Afterburner on these cards. And modifying the bios is not an option for those not willing to void their warranty.

If you are so zealous to get rid of Windows mining, how about spending your time lobbying AMD to change their Driver on Linux to allow lower mem speed on 69XX cards.

I wish some Linux users were not so narrow minded.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
kano
Legendary

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 01:01:24 AM

OK. For SDK 2.1 to work it seems you need to get this ( for future reference ) :

miner@mining:/# find / -name libOpenCL.so.1

/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/lib/x86_64/libOpenCL.so.1
/opt/ati-stream-sdk-v2.1-lnx64/libOpenCL.so.1
/usr/lib/libOpenCL.so.1

Thanks !

That's probably the same file with a different name and somehow you didn't copy both into /use/lib/ ...

Can I use the poclbm kernel with this ?

What happens if the GPU fan dies and I am away from the miner ? It just fries the card or does it halt the mining on that specific card with the dead fan ?
1) README: --kernel
2) README: --auto-gpu --auto-fan (and there is a whole section in the README about overclocking)

jake262144

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 01:10:28 AM

Begging your pardon, my post was clearly targeted at someone else but since you decided to hop in:

Some people need Windows because they mine with 69XX cards.
Some people mine with their nVidia cards - doesn't mean they should either. That's all I have to say in regards to 40nm VLIW4 cards.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 01:13:47 AM
Last edit: February 02, 2012, 01:32:26 AM by DeathAndTaxes

Some people need Windows because they mine with 69XX cards. You can lower the mem to 300 with MSI Afterburner on these cards.

You sure about that? AB will set it but have you checked in the sensor tab of GPU-Z to see what it is actually running at?
RoloTonyBrownTown

Activity: 350

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 01:17:15 AM

Yes, Vista sucked, but Windows 7 is just as stable as XP and perfectly usable as an everyday OS...
There, without knowing what you just said, you said it.
Windows is a decent everyday OS.
Serious bitcoin mining, however, is much simpler, easier, and less resource-intensive using a leaner, task-oriented OS like your favourite Linux flavor.

What good do automatic updates, insane amounts of background housekeeping stuff, the indexing service, or wide open NETBIOS ports do you for bitcoin mining purposes?
How suitable for mining are all those default Power Management options? How useful are System Restore and Shadow Files?
For all those useless (from mining POV) features you don't even get a functional Remote Desktop server...
...and worst of all, you have to dole out money for the doubtful pleasure of installing Windows on your mining rig.
Insanity.

Well sure, I agree that if you have a solo box that you've dedicated just to mining, then stick one of the million iterations of Linux on it.   Personally though, I have one PC (and some laptops) in my place, and that PC is used for several things.  It's my download box, it's my media server and it's my mining box.  I have Windows 7 on it because it works for all three (Linux probably would as well, but I know Windows inside out so until I have a lot of free time to learn Linux inside out, I'll be sticking with it)

Anyway, whatever, cgminer... carry on !

sharky112065

Activity: 383

View Profile
February 02, 2012, 02:43:15 AM

Some people need Windows because they mine with 69XX cards. You can lower the mem to 300 with MSI Afterburner on these cards.

You sure about that? AB will set it but have you checked in the sensor tab of GPU-Z to see what it is actually running at?

Yes I have. They are at 300. Allowing cgminer to set it to 300 it does not actually change and thus the cards run hotter. This is why I use Afterburner.

My rigs that have 5870's are running on Linux.

Donations welcome: 12KaKtrK52iQjPdtsJq7fJ7smC32tXWbWr
Pages: « 1 ... 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 [170] 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 187 188 189 190 191 192 193 194 195 196 197 198 199 200 201 202 203 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 215 216 217 218 219 220 ... 843 »
  Print  

Jump to: