Bitcoin Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:16:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: Will you support Gavin's new block size limit hard fork of 8MB by January 1, 2016 then doubling every 2 years?
1.  yes
2.  no

Pages: « 1 ... 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 ... 1557 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Gold collapsing. Bitcoin UP.  (Read 2032135 times)
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1002

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 01:01:42 PM

Finally capitulated and got a Trezor. Very cool.

I think they are cool. It's just like a locked down tiny computer whose sole purpose is to keep private keys safe and sign things. The same technology that makes bitcoin security easy can be used for everything else where a private key needs to be kept secret. BitID, Password Manager app, pgp, encryption, and others. Perhaps the first "personal crypto-computer"? By having it's own secure display and a pin that can't be stolen by spyware, and with locked down firmware, you can be certain what message you are signing.

I can't wait to sign into a website with no password and be impossible for anyone to impersonate me! And the bonus is that websites who use key auth means there is no password to steal. All they get is the ID/public key.

I'm sure you're following Steve Gibson's SQRL  project.  There's also a Bitcoin variant of this also. 
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
L0uis

Activity: 141
Merit: 100

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:01:38 PM

http://newsbtc.com/2015/02/19/independent-investigators-find-fresh-details-mt-gox/
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:30:42 PM

Significant short term reversal in gold fortunes overnight:

uki
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1000

cryptojunk bag holder

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 02:41:22 PM

Significant short term reversal in gold fortunes overnight:
-snip-
Well, we had exactly opposite movement  (of even bigger range) yesterday on the release of FOMC minutes. Gold is very volatile asset in the last 3+ years, and such daily swings are nothing weird, neither positive nor negative. As I wrote in this thread, I believe, we have to wait till the end of Febraury to have more clear picture on the mid-term trend, as the calendar is full of events that may affect the price of gold.

this space is intentionally left blank
NotHatinJustTrollin

Activity: 462
Merit: 107

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 02:45:10 PM

Interesting:

"Another interesting fact that caught Wizsec’s eyes was the Willy’s static nature during the Japanese sleeping hours. The Mt. Gox bot was supposed to be automatic, but as it turns out there was hardly any trading activity. This speculation multiplied the belief that the bot was actually being controlled manually — probably by Mark Karpeles."

Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 04:01:17 PM

Hive wallet is running a Bitcoin crowdfunding campaign on Lighthouse: https://mac.hivewallet.com/crowdfunding/

That's funny, cuz the CEO of Hive doesn't think Bitcoin should be valuable, nor considered money:

We at Hive agree that so-called crypto-currency is not money—even if it can be used that way, and even if it is sometimes convenient to describe it that way. We're actively working on our language, but let me be crystal-clear about that perspective now.

I know that $1,000,000/BTC was an exit strategy for a handful of people, but there's nary a prayer of it playing out that way. We of Earth love our novelty, and I in particular find the idea of artificial digital scarcity so painfully fucking boring that I'm going to spend my time making your world view more difficult to sustain, as both a career and a hobby.

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 04:17:22 PM

Interesting:

"Another interesting fact that caught Wizsec’s eyes was the Willy’s static nature during the Japanese sleeping hours. The Mt. Gox bot was supposed to be automatic, but as it turns out there was hardly any trading activity. This speculation multiplied the belief that the bot was actually being controlled manually — probably by Mark Karpeles."

http://hackingdistributed.com/2014/05/27/mtgox-willy-markus/
dnaleor
Legendary

Activity: 1470

Want privacy? Use Monero!

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 04:36:34 PM

Do we ever expect BTC to be above gold again?
If yes, then when?

Should cross at about $850  this year  :p
don't see that happening. A short v-type break in gold towards $1000 may be in the cards, but $850 is a far off bet. Despite what many perma-bears say.
So gold-BTC cross would have to happen higher and very likely not in 2015.

faites vos jeux

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=336761.0
jsuder

Activity: 145
Merit: 100

┗(°0°)┛

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 04:38:01 PM

Hive wallet is running a Bitcoin crowdfunding campaign on Lighthouse: https://mac.hivewallet.com/crowdfunding/

That's funny, cuz the CEO of Hive doesn't think Bitcoin should be valuable, nor considered money:
If you read the crowdfunding info page (specifically "Why Lighthouse?"), it says there that I'm really doing this independently. I'm collaborating with Hive Labs to some extent, and we're keeping this under the same brand, but technically I no longer work for Hive Labs, that's why I need another way to fund the development.

Former main developer of Hive Mac | @kuba_suder at Twitter
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 04:40:37 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2015, 04:52:11 PM by NotHatinJustTrollin

Interesting:

I follow this guy on twitter and I admire him, but the article doesn't make much sense:

"For a pump and dump, there has to be a quick pump (buy action) to generate mass momentum, followed by a dump.
In this case, there was no quick pump; the buy orders were deliberately smeared across a very long time period. And there was no dump until the very end stage.
It's as simple as that. No fast pump, no dump, therefore not a pump and dump."

^^^What? This is false. A pump&dump doesn't have to be executed quickly to be a pump&dump, unless we are talking half a year to a year. The $1200 pump lasted two to three months. 2-3 months is a small time frame for a pump of that magnitude.

Large buys like those WILL have a BIG impact on the price, whether made in smaller chunks or not (impossible to buy that quantity of coins in a few market buys, literally impossible).

Also, is the author completely ignoring the fact that one of the mtgox bots (markus I believe) was buying with FAKE FIAT (amounts of money mtgox didn't actually have)? He didn't mention that.
Markus bought a gigantic quantity of BTC basically for free and Emin argues that that doesn't indicate any fraudulent activity?

cypherdoc (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 05:24:25 PM

Interesting:

I follow this guy on twitter and I admire him, but the article doesn't make much sense:

"For a pump and dump, there has to be a quick pump (buy action) to generate mass momentum, followed by a dump.
In this case, there was no quick pump; the buy orders were deliberately smeared across a very long time period. And there was no dump until the very end stage.

^^^What? This is false. A pump&dump doesn't have to be executed quickly to be a pump&dump, unless we are talking half a year to a year. The $1200 pump lasted two to three months. 2-3 months is a small time frame for a pump of that magnitude.

Large buys like those WILL have a BIG impact on the price, whether made in smaller chunks or not (impossible to buy that quantity of coins in a few market buys, literally impossible).

Also, is the author completely ignoring the fact that one of the mtgox bots (markus I believe) was buying with FAKE FIAT (amounts of money mtgox didn't actually have)? He didn't mention that.
Markus bought a gigantic quantity of BTC basically for free and Emin argues that that doesn't indicate any fraudulent activity?

you don't know it was FAKE FIAT.

gox could've been buying on behalf of a large whale.  plus, volumes on Chinese exchanges were large at the time.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 05:44:52 PM

We at Hive agree that so-called crypto-currency is not money—even if it can be used that way, and even if it is sometimes convenient to describe it that way. We're actively working on our language, but let me be crystal-clear about that perspective now.

I know that $1,000,000/BTC was an exit strategy for a handful of people, but there's nary a prayer of it playing out that way. We of Earth love our novelty, and I in particular find the idea of artificial digital scarcity so painfully fucking boring that I'm going to spend my time making your world view more difficult to sustain, as both a career and a hobby.

What I've never understood is why those who generally take a more collectivist view, can not just leave those who take more of an individualist view alone? What is it to Wendell, and the many like him, that make him want to force his world view on others? Why can't he just say "I disagree with crypto-currency and think it will fail" and leave it at that? So what is it to him if a minority of people decide to transact and use a different system? Is it some sense of moral superiority, or insecurity and the need to be right, or is it a fear that if individualists are allowed to choose their own path and live-and-let-be that more will join them and the collectivists will slowly run out of people to rob from?

If you read the crowdfunding info page (specifically "Why Lighthouse?"), it says there that I'm really doing this independently. I'm collaborating with Hive Labs to some extent, and we're keeping this under the same brand, but technically I no longer work for Hive Labs, that's why I need another way to fund the development.

Thanks for the development and making a viable wallet on the Mac platform. I'm not a Mac person but think it's great the platform has this.
ErisDiscordia
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1163

Imposition of ORder = Escalation of Chaos

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 05:56:06 PM

What I've never understood is why those who generally take a more collectivist view, can not just leave those who take more of an individualist view alone? What is it to Wendell, and the many like him, that make him want to force his world view on others? Why can't he just say "I disagree with crypto-currency and think it will fail" and leave it at that? So what is it to him if a minority of people decide to transact and use a different system? Is it some sense of moral superiority, or insecurity and the need to be right, or is it a fear that if individualists are allowed to choose their own path and live-and-let-be that more will join them and the collectivists will slowly run out of people to rob from?

As you can see, there are many splendid reasons for the collectivist to choose from. I'll add another big one: the fear of watching the outsider succeed. When you've lived your life according to what your parents, teachers, priests and peers have told you - you might have a safe spot in society and respect of your peers. Yet at the same time feel like you've wasted your potential. Not lived up to what could have been. Didn't do that round the world trip or write that book. So when you see someone trying to forfeit the cozy spot in society and the respect of their peers in order to try and grasp that singular, unique something their heart desires...you want them to fail. Because if they should succeed, it throws your whole life and what you have achieved into grave doubt and makes you question your self-image. And if there is one thing we can't bear to part with it is our illusions about ourselves.

It's all bullshit. But bullshit makes the flowers grow and that's beautiful.
Bagatell

Activity: 722
Merit: 500

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 06:03:22 PM

The fear of the farmer when he realizes the flock is smarter than he is.
Melbustus
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1003

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 06:42:48 PM

Thanks for the clarification. This is tough for me. On one hand, I absolutely think solid wallet software should be on as many platforms as possible. But on the other hand, if the company (or even just the brand) backing that wallet has what I consider a fundamentally destructive attitude (and even outright objective, as Wendell's quote is pretty aggressive/vehement), the negatives of such a brand gaining more traction probably outweigh the positives.

In any event, I do appreciate you making the distinction (both here and on Reddit) between your project and views, and Hive as a company. Perhaps you'd consider re-branding away from Hive?

Bitcoin is the first monetary system to credibly offer perfect information to all economic participants.
NotHatinJustTrollin

View Profile WWW
February 19, 2015, 06:49:35 PM

Interesting:

gox could've been buying on behalf of a large whale.  plus, volumes on Chinese exchanges were large at the time.
You're right, it's possible, but the whole thing is shady as hell. One of the bots was not paying fees, the other one was, one was paying with money technically not in the exchange, the other was not. The fact that the bot was active even when trading was closed to anybody else... etc.
It's possible it was a bot for wealthy clients that had favours, but many things don't add up.

Police is investigating and their findings and statements just add the the whole shadiness:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/bitcoin-theft-mtgox-was-inside-job-according-police-1481599

In his article, Emin was basically saying that the willy report's findings are not a big deal and not an indication that the bot actions were manipulative. While we clearly don't have conclusive evidence, I would say we have few indications that something was not quite right.

solex
Legendary

Activity: 1078

100 satoshis -> ISO code

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 06:59:02 PM

As you can see, there are many splendid reasons for the collectivist to choose from. I'll add another big one: the fear of watching the outsider succeed. When you've lived your life according to what your parents, teachers, priests and peers have told you - you might have a safe spot in society and respect of your peers. Yet at the same time feel like you've wasted your potential. Not lived up to what could have been. Didn't do that round the world trip or write that book. So when you see someone trying to forfeit the cozy spot in society and the respect of their peers in order to try and grasp that singular, unique something their heart desires...you want them to fail. Because if they should succeed, it throws your whole life and what you have achieved into grave doubt and makes you question your self-image. And if there is one thing we can't bear to part with it is our illusions about ourselves.

Personally speaking, it is gems like this which makes reading the internet so rewarding.

rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:25:02 PM
Last edit: February 19, 2015, 07:36:41 PM by rocks

Good point. This article, from theAtlantic of all places, touches on a similar vein.

The Rage of the Almost-Elite
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2011/10/the-rage-of-the-almost-elite/247638/
HeliKopterBen

Activity: 622

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:38:51 PM

Interesting:

gox could've been buying on behalf of a large whale.  plus, volumes on Chinese exchanges were large at the time.

What about all the bots shorting the market now with FAKE BITCOIN. 

I don't really believe in market manipulation on a wide scale, especially since we have a publicly verifiable blockchain, but it could be happening.

Counterfeit:  made in imitation of something else with intent to deceive:  merriam-webster
Pruden

Activity: 496

Spanish Bitcoin trader

View Profile
February 19, 2015, 07:40:19 PM

Yeah, buying when trading was closed, great way to give the whales a good price.  Roll Eyes

Between your hypothesis and Karpeles trying to make a quick buck even while he ruined Bitcoin for years, my gut makes a clear choice.
Pages: « 1 ... 1018 1019 1020 1021 1022 1023 1024 1025 1026 1027 1028 1029 1030 1031 1032 1033 1034 1035 1036 1037 1038 1039 1040 1041 1042 1043 1044 1045 1046 1047 1048 1049 1050 1051 1052 1053 1054 1055 1056 1057 1058 1059 1060 1061 1062 1063 1064 1065 1066 1067 [1068] 1069 1070 1071 1072 1073 1074 1075 1076 1077 1078 1079 1080 1081 1082 1083 1084 1085 1086 1087 1088 1089 1090 1091 1092 1093 1094 1095 1096 1097 1098 1099 1100 1101 1102 1103 1104 1105 1106 1107 1108 1109 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 ... 1557 »
  Print  

Jump to: