Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 04:45:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 ... 843 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.1  (Read 5805200 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
c4n10

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:11:53 PM

C4n10, is long polling working properly? This looks like LP issue.

Not sure... I have two other miners that are cpu miners running different software and their stale rates are about 1.2% so I'm pretty sure it's not the pool if that's what you are asking...
CPU mining is not only most likely the cause but also a complete waste of time.
As per the README, it's not supported.

I never said the miner in question was a cpu miner.

And yes, I know cpu's are pointless for BTC mining. That's why my cpu miners are mining litecoins right now. The one using cgminer, (the one I am having a problem with and the focus of this thread) is a gpu miner.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 21, 2012, 11:53:58 PM

Not sure... I have two other miners that are cpu miners running different software and their stale rates are about 1.2% so I'm pretty sure it's not the pool if that's what you are asking...

And yes, I know cpu's are pointless for BTC mining. That's why my cpu miners are mining litecoins right now. The one using cgminer, (the one I am having a problem with and the focus of this thread) is a gpu miner.
Then you need to provide a lot more information than 'I get high stales' ...........

Compare mining on 2 different pools.

What does the screen show during an LP?

Provide some actual numbers and the pool name from the cgminer screen.

GPU? OS? Cgminer version?

Is it P2Pool so you may as well expect high rejects?

Did you turn on --no-submit-stale?
(You don't get stales unless you do that - you get rejects - and rarely should you ever turn that on)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
c4n10

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 01:29:00 AM

Then you need to provide a lot more information than 'I get high stales' ...........

(You don't get stales unless you do that - you get rejects - and rarely should you ever turn that on)

I don't really think I need to compare my mining on two different pools to know that a 10% - 12% stale ratio is high...

I also don't see why the pool name is relevant being that my cpu miners in the exact same pool have a stale rate of less than 1.5% but if you insist, I am on OzCoin.

During an LP the screen shows what it is supposed to show, it tells me when the long polling has detected a new block, it tells me when a share has been accepted or when a share has been rejected.

What numbers would you like me to provide you other than the ratio of stales I am getting? Are there other numbers which would be relevant to the number of stales I am getting?

GPU - Geforce gt 520 (yes, I am aware that it is a piece of crap in relation to mining)
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
cgminer version - 2.7.5

I am not using the --no-submit-stale flag (i'm not using ANY flags actually) and yes, I AM getting stales as opposed to rejects. cgminer specifically says that they are stales ("prevhash submitted" or something along those lines).
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 01:44:52 AM

I don't really think I need to compare my mining on two different pools to know that a 10% - 12% stale ratio is high...

I also don't see why the pool name is relevant being that my cpu miners in the exact same pool have a stale rate of less than 1.5% but if you insist, I am on OzCoin.

During an LP the screen shows what it is supposed to show, it tells me when the long polling has detected a new block, it tells me when a share has been accepted or when a share has been rejected.

What numbers would you like me to provide you other than the ratio of stales I am getting? Are there other numbers which would be relevant to the number of stales I am getting?

GPU - Geforce gt 520 (yes, I am aware that it is a piece of crap in relation to mining)
OS - Windows 7 64-bit
cgminer version - 2.7.5

I am not using the --no-submit-stale flag (i'm not using ANY flags actually) and yes, I AM getting stales as opposed to rejects. cgminer specifically says that they are stales ("prevhash submitted" or something along those lines).
Well according to you everything is as it should be except you get a high number of 'stales'
(and I've no idea even when you get these 'stales')
If you don't need help and wont supply the info I've requested - then why are you asking (for free help)? Tongue

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
c4n10

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 02:04:44 AM

OS - Windows 7 64-bit
cgminer version - 2.7.5

Well according to you everything is as it should be except you get a high number of 'stales'
(and I've no idea even when you get these 'stales')
If you don't need help and wont supply the info I've requested - then why are you asking (for free help)? Tongue

What information did you request that I did not supply other than comparing the mining between two different pools (which is useless because I am 99.99% sure that the problem is not with the pool, otherwise my cpuminers would be affected as well)?

I have supplied all the information you asked me for with the exception of the "actual numbers" from the cgminer screen which I asked you for clarification on because I can't provide you with numbers unless I know which numbers you need, especially when I can not find a relative correlation between the other numbers output by the miner and my stale ratio...

When do I get the stales...? I get the stales when my miner attempts to submit a solved share and is answered by the server with a message that reads something like:

Code:
"Stale share detected, submitting as user requested"

Then it prints something like:

Code:
"Rejected crazyblock.numbershere GPU 0 (prevhash-stale)"
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 06:20:00 AM

Change this
Code:
$ CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./configure
to this.
Code:
$ CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./configure --enable-bitforce

Smiley

Thanks Krak,

That got it to compile (it might be helpful to add to the FPGA-README file).

But cgminer still can not seem to find the bfl single. I've tried both auto-detect and specifiying various /dev/xxx paths, but nothing seems to work.

Code:
$ ./cgminer -o [pool] -u name -p pw
$ ./cgminer -o [pool] -u name -p pw --scan-serial /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Butterfly_Labs_Inc._BitFORCE_SHA256-if00-port0
$ ./cgminer -o [pool] -u name -p pw --scan-serial /dev/usbmon0 (or usbmon1/2/3/4/etc)

All return
Code:
All devices disabled, cannot mine!

1) In Ubuntu does anyone know how to find the correct /dev/xxx device for a specific single?
2) I have x6500s running on the same machine (with MPBM) perfectly fine, could this be causing a conflict?
3) Is there any way to test the connection to a bfl single to see if the issue is an incorrectly configured miner, connection issue, or a problem with the single itself.

Any suggestions would be great, I managed to get a x6500 with no issues, but have not been able to get the single running for some reason.

Thanks!

Krak

Activity: 591
Merit: 500

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 07:13:13 AM

Thanks Krak,

That got it to compile (it might be helpful to add to the FPGA-README file).

But cgminer still can not seem to find the bfl single. I've tried both auto-detect and specifiying various /dev/xxx paths, but nothing seems to work.

Code:
$ ./cgminer -o [pool] -u name -p pw --scan-serial /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Butterfly_Labs_Inc._BitFORCE_SHA256-if00-port0
$ ./cgminer -o [pool] -u name -p pw --scan-serial /dev/usbmon0 (or usbmon1/2/3/4/etc)

All return
Code:

1) In Ubuntu does anyone know how to find the correct /dev/xxx device for a specific single?
2) I have x6500s running on the same machine (with MPBM) perfectly fine, could this be causing a conflict?
3) Is there any way to test the connection to a bfl single to see if the issue is an incorrectly configured miner, connection issue, or a problem with the single itself.

Any suggestions would be great, I managed to get a x6500 with no issues, but have not been able to get the single running for some reason.

Thanks!
According to the readme, you have to use --scan-serial /dev/ttyUSBn (where n is the device ID).

BTC: 1KrakenLFEFg33A4f6xpwgv3UUoxrLPuGn
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4074
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 22, 2012, 07:15:58 AM

Probably haven't loaded the module for the bitforce devices.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
The00Dustin

Activity: 807

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 11:41:02 AM

What information did you request that I did not supply other than comparing the mining between two different pools (which is useless because I am 99.99% sure that the problem is not with the pool, otherwise my cpuminers would be affected as well)?
FYI, if you are mining LTC wit the CPUs and BTC with the GPU, you are mining on different pools.  With the same name (ozcain), and even if they are at the same IP, they are not the same pool, because they are running on different daemons.  Also, with a GPU with a hash speed that slow, you aren't going to find a lot of shares, so that rate might not be so high.  Trying a different pool will confirm the problem is or isn't with ozcoin.  Then, either additional information can be used to find the problem or the GPU can be blamed.  Incidentally, if you try another pool and get less rejects, but the same U: (which might take weeks to normalize depending on how low your hashrate is), then these shares being submitted and rejected don't matter.  I'm sure the hashrate would be helpful in determining whether or not the higher reject rate is related.  When the shares occur might also be, for instance, do you see an LP or new block detected and then rejects, or are they random without LPs or new blocks detected?  If the problem is in the software, I'm guessing it's very likely to be related to the fact that you're using an nVidia card, so that information might have been useful much earlier on.
rocks
Legendary

Activity: 1153
Merit: 1000

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 07:06:45 PM

According to the readme, you have to use --scan-serial /dev/ttyUSBn (where n is the device ID).

Yes, sorry I had tried /dev/ttyUSBx before as well (just forgot to add it to the list), but it did not work either.

Code:
$ ./cgminer -o [pool] -u name -p pw --scan-serial /dev/ttyUSB0

All return
Code:

/dev/ttyUSB0 is the right device because it appears and disappears when I plug/unplug the single. But cgminer still does not recognize it.

Is there anyway to debug the connection and where the issue is? Ubuntu sees the new USB device when it's plugged in, so I'm not sure where the issue is...

Thanks!
BitMinerN8

Activity: 626

Mining since May 2011.

View Profile
September 22, 2012, 08:06:36 PM

Yes, sorry I had tried /dev/ttyUSBx before as well (just forgot to add it to the list), but it did not work either.

Code:
$ ./cgminer -o [pool] -u name -p pw --scan-serial /dev/ttyUSB0

All return
Code:

/dev/ttyUSB0 is the right device because it appears and disappears when I plug/unplug the single. But cgminer still does not recognize it.

Is there anyway to debug the connection and where the issue is? Ubuntu sees the new USB device when it's plugged in, so I'm not sure where the issue is...

Thanks!

I don't know if this will work for you or not, but when I built my Debian box to run all my BFL's I was running into the same type of issue. I am a linux novice but I like to learn and take a lot of notes. I ran across this command on some obscure post on the forums. I don't know exactly what this does, but it worked for me anyway. I eventually added as the last line in the /etc/rc.local file so it would start automatically on boot. Hope it works for you.
Code:
modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x0403 product=0x6014
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 01:28:07 AM
Last edit: September 23, 2012, 10:32:58 PM by kano

Thanks!
As per the README FAQ that no one ever reads:
Q: I'm having an issue. What debugging information should I provide?
A: Start cgminer with your regular commands and add -D -T --verbose and provide
the full startup output and a summary of your hardware, operating system, ATI
driver version and ATI stream version.

And the additions I've added recently that are in git:
Q: How do I get my BFL/Icarus/Lancelot/Cairnsmore device to auto-recognise?
A: On linux, if the /dev/ttyUSB* devices don't automatically appear, the only
thing that needs to be done is to load the driver for them:
BFL: sudo modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x0403 product=0x6014
Icarus: sudo modprobe pl2303 vendor=0x067b product=0x230
Lancelot: sudo modprobe ftdi_sio vendor=0x0403 product=0x6001
Cairnsmore: sudo modprobe ftdi_sio product=0x8350 vendor=0x0403
On windows you must install the pl2303 or ftdi driver required for the device
pl2303: http://prolificusa.com/pl-2303hx-drivers/
ftdi: http://www.ftdichip.com/Drivers/VCP.htm

Q: On linux I can see the /dev/ttyUSB* devices for my ICA/BFL/MMQ FPGA, but
cgminer can't mine on them
A: Make sure you have the required priviledges to access the /dev/ttyUSB* devices:
 sudo ls -las /dev/ttyUSB*
will give output like:
 0 crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 2012-09-11 13:49 /dev/ttyUSB0
This means your account must have the group 'dialout' or root priviledges
To permanently give your account the 'dialout' group:
 sudo usermod -G dialout -a `whoami`
Then logout and back in again

Edit: yes the above has been fixed

Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:06:35 AM

A: Make sure you have the required priviledges to access the /dev/ttyUSB* devices:
will give output like:
 sudo usermod -G dialout `whoami`
FYI, this is bad advice and is likely to screw up your system.

TheHarbinger

Activity: 378

Why is it so damn hot in here?

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:09:26 AM

will give output like:

Well, no.  Adding your current user to the "dialout" group is not going to screw up anything. 

12Um6jfDE7q6crm1s6tSksMvda8s1hZ3Vj
Luke-Jr
Legendary

Activity: 2576
Merit: 1186

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:16:22 AM

will give output like:
Well, no.  Adding your current user to the "dialout" group is not going to screw up anything.
Indeed that wouldn't, but the commands Kano suggests also removes you from every other group. Including sudo. (BFGMiner has suggested almost idential but with the -a option for a few releases now)

kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 02:41:48 AM

quoted for lulz

Fix in my posts and in the docs - lulz
https://github.com/ckolivas/cgminer/pull/312

Though I'm wondering if it was the green colour in my post that could cause GPU damage?

Edit: Oh and  if you did do it as I said without the '-a' then:
 whoami
 su -
 usermod -G adm,admin,cdrom,plugdev,lpadmin,sambashare -a username

Where username is the result of 'whoami'

That should cover most of what groups you lost.
On my Xubu 11.04 the above is the full list.

EnergyVampire

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 03:18:12 PM

Hello,

I've been testing Windows 8 Consumer Preview but I am having a few issues getting cgminer 2.7.4 working properly.

Main problem: While running cgminer, I get spammed with "New block detected on network before longpoll" ( 1000s of these displaying the same exact time) and the hashrate begin to slowly decrease over time (drops from 550 Mh/s to 350 Mh/s per GPU after about an hour or so).

Minor problem: I am unable to get cgminer running with 5 GPUs, it doesn't even work with "cgminer -n". The OS, catalyst, MSI Afterburner, GPU-Z all recognize the 5 GPUs.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

c4n10

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 07:03:54 PM

I recently switched to a geforce 9600 gt and I am having a problem using the scrypt algorithm in cgminer or any other miner for that matter.

In cgminer everything seems to work fine and then the application seems to hang immediately after "Long-polling activated for http://web.site" and does not progress any further. Please help!
c4n10

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 08:06:38 PM

Never mind, I'm an idiot. I just needed to wait a few minutes...
Fefox

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
September 23, 2012, 10:03:01 PM

I have been doing some testing of CGMINER with my BFL Mini Rigs with the Bitminter Pool and noticed that CGMINER was not reporting Hardware Errors or what I think should be showing under HW:

Under the bitminter client I have one board in a Minirig that fails about 1 out of 15 proofs  (in the minter client it uses CPU to double-check the work from GPUs and FPGAs and if their work isn't valid, it gets flagged with a BOMB"

on the two minirigs, I tried running two concurrent copies of CGMINER one on a good board and one on the bad board, nothing really stands out between them stats wise, altho the bad does show up slower in the bitminter pool stats.

bad board has a U:18.8 and the good U:20.1 but other boards in the rigs are in that range..

should these errors be showing up under HW: ?

it seems the bad proofs don't get submitted to the pool, so it looks like CGMINER is checking them, finding them bad, throwing them away but forgets to count them.

not sure if this is some type of bug or im just doing something wrong?

btw Ver is 2.7.4

Thanks.
Pages: « 1 ... 305 306 307 308 309 310 311 312 313 314 315 316 317 318 319 320 321 322 323 324 325 326 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 348 349 350 351 352 353 354 [355] 356 357 358 359 360 361 362 363 364 365 366 367 368 369 370 371 372 373 374 375 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 387 388 389 390 391 392 393 394 395 396 397 398 399 400 401 402 403 404 405 ... 843 »
  Print  

Jump to: