Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 03:50:54 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 [739] 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 ... 843 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.1  (Read 5805147 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
daddyfatsax

Activity: 857
Merit: 1000

Anger is a gift.

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 12:17:40 AM

I got 4.2.2 to compile and enabled bitmine-A1 but I just get his error when I start cgminer:
 [2014-04-02 08:16:03] Failed to init board selector                   
 [2014-04-02 08:16:03] SPI '/dev/spidev0.0': mode=1, bits=8, speed=2000000                   
 [2014-04-02 08:16:03] checking board 0...                   
 [2014-04-02 08:16:03] Failed to write to fdesc -1: Bad file descriptor

I will just stick with what I got for now.

Thanks.
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
UselessCargo

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:40:00 AM

Trying to get an Adafruit "PiMiner" (http://learn.adafruit.com/piminer-raspberry-pi-bitcoin-miner/initial-setup-and-assembly) up and running using Antminer U1's with the 16x2 LCD Display.

I was able to get 3.8.4 to work and display the information on the mini LCD screen correctly, but the sticks would not mine over 500Mhz, I'm assuming because I could only get them to be recognized and mine with Icarus enabled.

When I finally figured out that CGMiner 3.8.4 didn't seem to have the ability to enable Antminer U1 support (or at least it didn't seem to recognize the --enable-ants1 command after trying to configure it) I decided to try CGMiner 4.2.1 - it worked and solve my previous issue of the U1's hashing at ~500Mhz.  They now hash at 1.6Ghz as they're supposed to.

The problem now, though, is that the LCD display gives a formatting error - I'm assuming because of the changes in the way the software displays its mining information the 3.x.x versions of CGminer and the newer 4.x.x versions.  I'll admit I haven't yet tried using other 3.x.x versions (perhaps one of the 3.9.x's?) to see if they have Antminer U1 support and the original format for displaying mining information - I was hoping not to have to go through each of them looking and it seems that the README on ckolivas is only for the most up to date version (I couldn't find older versions of the README, if they exist, could someone point me to them?) - is there such a version of CGminer?

I do apologize if this has been covered already in this thread, but with over 700 pages of posts I felt that posting something fresh might provide a quicker solution.  If it does, and someone knows where to find it, could you point me to the correct page to look for it on?

Thanks for your time and thanks for all the work that goes into CGMiner Smiley
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4438
Merit: 1794

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 02:27:16 AM

The problem now, though, is that the LCD display gives a formatting error - I'm assuming because of the changes in the way the software displays its mining information the 3.x.x versions of CGminer and the newer 4.x.x versions.  I'll admit I haven't yet tried using other 3.x.x versions (perhaps one of the 3.9.x's?) to see if they have Antminer U1 support and the original format for displaying mining information - I was hoping not to have to go through each of them looking and it seems that the README on ckolivas is only for the most up to date version (I couldn't find older versions of the README, if they exist, could someone point me to them?) - is there such a version of CGminer?

I do apologize if this has been covered already in this thread, but with over 700 pages of posts I felt that posting something fresh might provide a quicker solution.  If it does, and someone knows where to find it, could you point me to the correct page to look for it on?

Thanks for your time and thanks for all the work that goes into CGMiner Smiley
The data source for external programs is usually the cgminer API.
API backward compatibility is pretty much as good as it can get - so that shouldn't be a problem unless software is making bad assumptions about the API replies.
The data returned from the API is Name/Key based and there should be no issues there.

If the program getting the data source from cgminer is using screen scraping or text log processing, then yep that will fail each time we change the screen layout or the text log output format.

Since you are referring to something that is not part of cgminer, you'll need to provide more info Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
UselessCargo

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 03:16:33 AM

If the program getting the data source from cgminer is using screen scraping or text log processing, then yep that will fail each time we change the screen layout or the text log output format.

Since you are referring to something that is not part of cgminer, you'll need to provide more info Smiley

Can you be more specific about what info would be helpful and where I might find it?  The program which runs the LCD is in python.  I really don't know python at all, and I could go through some of the files in the package from that Adafruit Tutorial I linked in order to find that information, but I'm not really sure what information would be informative.  And as long as you're asking for more information: the screen has some push buttons that cycle through different displays - only one screen reads a format error, the others read "connecting to cgminer...", and the last display works correctly.  That last one which works, though, is just recent market prices and so doesn't rely on cgminer for data.

How about one of the older versions before the screen layout change?  Do any support Antminer U1 configuration?  I know I had to --enable-icarus and --enable-ants1 in order for 4.2.1 to recognize the U1, so I probably will try enabling all support for 3.8.4 (maybe one of the 3.9.x's) to see if I can get the U1's hash speed up - that would also be an acceptable solution.  With just --enable-ants1, 4.2.1 didn't notice they were there.  Any maybe this makes perfect sense to people here who have a greater understanding of hardware/software interaction and communication.  It has been an adventure getting this far off that tutorial and some old forum posts.
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4046
Merit: 1622

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 03:21:07 AM

How about one of the older versions before the screen layout change?  Do any support Antminer U1 configuration?  I know I had to --enable-icarus and --enable-ants1 in order for 4.2.1 to recognize the U1, so I probably will try enabling all support for 3.8.4 (maybe one of the 3.9.x's) to see if I can get the U1's hash speed up - that would also be an acceptable solution.  With just --enable-ants1, 4.2.1 didn't notice they were there.  Any maybe this makes perfect sense to people here who have a greater understanding of hardware/software interaction and communication.  It has been an adventure getting this far off that tutorial and some old forum posts.
There's no such command as --enable-ants1 I have no idea where you got that. Ancient versions did not support the U1s so the icarus driver randomly ran them not much better than a block erupter. You can always check the extensively documented NEWS file to see when U1 support was added if you want to use an old version.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
UselessCargo

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:11:42 AM

There's no such command as --enable-ants1 I have no idea where you got that. Ancient versions did not support the U1s so the icarus driver randomly ran them not much better than a block erupter. You can always check the extensively documented NEWS file to see when U1 support was added if you want to use an old version.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvjes67wygg0ytd/CaptureCGMinerReadMe.PNG - from the ReadMe under "Building CGMiner For Yourself".  I included the URL so you could see it's kinda on the webpage with your name on it.
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 04:27:43 AM

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fvjes67wygg0ytd/CaptureCGMinerReadMe.PNG - from the ReadMe under "Building CGMiner For Yourself".  I included the URL so you could see it's kinda on the webpage with your name on it.
Code:
--enable-ants1          Compile support for Antminer S1 Bitmain (default disabled)
Indeed even I forgot that sorry, since it was code added by Kano, but that says to build for Antminer S1 and you have U1.

-ck
kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 05:34:25 AM

Can you be more specific about what info would be helpful and where I might find it?  The program which runs the LCD is in python.  I really don't know python at all, and I could go through some of the files in the package from that Adafruit Tutorial I linked in order to find that information, but I'm not really sure what information would be informative.  And as long as you're asking for more information: the screen has some push buttons that cycle through different displays - only one screen reads a format error, the others read "connecting to cgminer...", and the last display works correctly.  That last one which works, though, is just recent market prices and so doesn't rely on cgminer for data.

How about one of the older versions before the screen layout change?  Do any support Antminer U1 configuration?  I know I had to --enable-icarus and --enable-ants1 in order for 4.2.1 to recognize the U1, so I probably will try enabling all support for 3.8.4 (maybe one of the 3.9.x's) to see if I can get the U1's hash speed up - that would also be an acceptable solution.  With just --enable-ants1, 4.2.1 didn't notice they were there.  Any maybe this makes perfect sense to people here who have a greater understanding of hardware/software interaction and communication.  It has been an adventure getting this far off that tutorial and some old forum posts.
Firstly, yes as ckolivas said, --enable-ants1 has nothing to do with Ant U1s or U2s
It's for the AntMinerS1 that doesn't run on anything except the OpenWRT standalone device that Bitmain sells.
You'd never compile that into the code except on it's own when cross compiling for the AntS1.

Now, I'll go out on a limb here and say that what has happened is the people who wrote the Adafruit package did something REALLY dumb.
I'll say I'm 99.99% sure of that.
What has changed in the API is the order of fields.
I've never changed the field order before, however, as I said in my first reply, the fields are keyed by name.
My guess is that they are IGNORING the field names ... so you can expect to get the problems they have.

There has been for a long time an LCD screen app for the RPi written by cardcomm and I helped get it all working properly:
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminerLCDStats

Tell the Adafruit people to have a look at that from 7 or 8 months ago.
(Edit: I use it, and still use it ... and yes, no problems with it)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
UselessCargo

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:01:54 AM

You're entirely right - I had this feeling like I was saying something but seeing something else, but I wasn't quite sure what it was - but apparently that "--enable-ants1" does do something for the U1's in CGMiner as well.  Like I said in a post above, enabling the ants1 configuration with icarus allows the U1's to hash at or just under 1.6ghz each, which is better than the 500mhz block erupter speeds I was getting before with just the icarus configured.  Also, the section below has "anu-freq" which affects U1 hashing speeds, so I think I was probably mixing those two up as far as S1/U1 stuff goes.

Also, since both miners use the same chips, I'm guessing they both communicate the same way - so maybe that's part of why the ants1 configuration is fixing the hashing issue.

If the ants1 configuration has nothing to do with the U1's, then why would the U1's be working differently with that enabled than without it?

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 06:06:06 AM

You're entirely right - I had this feeling like I was saying something but seeing something else, but I wasn't quite sure what it was - but apparently that "--enable-ants1" does do something for the U1's in CGMiner as well.  Like I said in a post above, enabling the ants1 configuration with icarus allows the U1's to hash at or just under 1.6ghz each, which is better than the 500mhz block erupter speeds I was getting before with just the icarus configured.  Also, the section below has "anu-freq" which affects U1 hashing speeds, so I think I was probably mixing those two up as far as S1/U1 stuff goes.

Also, since both miners use the same chips, I'm guessing they both communicate the same way - so maybe that's part of why the ants1 configuration is fixing the hashing issue.

If the ants1 configuration has nothing to do with the U1's, then why would the U1's be working differently with that enabled than without it?

No no no you're confusing support for the U1 being in the newer cgminer with you enabling S1 support which has nothing to do with it. Support for the U1 is in newer cgminer code with the icarus driver.

-ck
UselessCargo

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:17:01 AM

OOOOOOOOOOH.  That makes sense.  Which version of CGMiner was that added to Icarus?
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
April 02, 2014, 06:18:54 AM

OOOOOOOOOOH.  That makes sense.  Which version of CGMiner was that added to Icarus?

You can always check the extensively documented NEWS file to see when U1 support was added if you want to use an old version.

-ck
jomant

Activity: 39

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 06:42:53 AM

Hi there ,
I run a older version of CGMiner (will look later for the Ver. it 2:39am here). I got my Antminer U2 working with --enable-bmsc. My Pi display works prober (the adafruit one) besides that it shows 0 Devices. The U2 runs @2.032... GH/s and stabile.Because I got a vintage version of CGMiner, to which version I should upgrade???
As I said raspberry pi with adafruit 16x2 display with Bitmain Antminer U2
Ohhh ps theis program ROCKS. I am a linux noob btw
kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:41:03 AM

Hi there ,
I run a older version of CGMiner (will look later for the Ver. it 2:39am here). I got my Antminer U2 working with --enable-bmsc. My Pi display works prober (the adafruit one) besides that it shows 0 Devices. The U2 runs @2.032... GH/s and stabile.Because I got a vintage version of CGMiner, to which version I should upgrade???
There is no --enable-bmsc in cgminer - you are running a fork of cgminer.

U1 and U2 support in cgminer is part of the Icarus driver since the U1 and U2 are designed to act almost exactly like an old Icarus FPGA.
So in cgminer it is --enable-icarus
You will also find that cgminer has the best support of setting the clock on a U1 and U2 where you can set it based on the clock speed you want rather than some obscure hex code (thanks to ckolivas)

Use the current version 4.2.2
I have a Raspbian binary for 4.2.2 (called 4.2.2a) in my cgminer-binaries git:
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer-binaries/tree/master/RPi_Raspbian

You'll need at least 3.12.2 if you want all the changes for the U1/U2

UselessCargo

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 07:45:59 AM

There has been for a long time an LCD screen app for the RPi written by cardcomm and I helped get it all working properly:
https://github.com/kanoi/cgminerLCDStats

Tell the Adafruit people to have a look at that from 7 or 8 months ago.
(Edit: I use it, and still use it ... and yes, no problems with it)

I'll look into this in the morning - as well as version 3.12.2, checking the NEWS file indicates that U1 support was added then (3.12.1 technically).  And thank you very much for both your patience and answers, and that goes for both of you Smiley

As far as telling the Adafruit people - I've had trouble getting support on their forums (literally zero responses to questions about these issues), which is why I started posting here.
jomant

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 01:32:43 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2014, 01:55:33 PM by jomant

Hi there ,

U1 and U2 support in cgminer is part of the Icarus driver since the U1 and U2 are designed to act almost exactly like an old Icarus FPGA.
You will also find that cgminer has the best support of setting the clock on a U1 and U2 where you can set it based on the clock speed you want rather than some obscure hex code (thanks to ckolivas)

As I said just started with that stuff,I assume afork is a custom build of a program? I didnt know of this forum at the time so I used the adafruit site for help. The only things i made with the pi is use it as controller board for my drone XD. Thank you for your fast replie thou. Looks like Iam at the right place

So how do I do this. I assume by cloneing one of thouse files? Do I delete my current cgminer folder? Sorry for being a pain, I was happy that that thig started mining after i was done in 5 hours copy/pasting code XD

Currently that thing mines a 2.032.... but has a error rate of 13.04% I assume that would be fixed with your program? Can you make me a copy/pste code window with all the steps I need to do. Just don't wanna kill 4 +hours again or distroy something. Sorry again for being a full noob Sad
jomant

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 04:54:43 PM
Last edit: April 02, 2014, 05:07:15 PM by jomant

Hi there ,

I tryed to git clone Raspbian binary for 4.2.2 (called 4.2.2a) what is a executable. I dont have any idea how to do that kind of stuff. Before i just git cloned a folder do the compiling stuff (via copy/paste and thats it. How do I do this one???

I got the execute working but it gives me error no device detected icarus 1:6 failed to ini. Incorrect device
kano
Legendary

View Profile
April 02, 2014, 09:26:50 PM

Sorry, this isn't a training thread for how to use computers.

jomant

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 12:48:11 AM

Sorry, this isn't a training thread for how to use computers.

I know that I got it started as I said. But it's a executable single file. I have it setup (my current version 3.88 I think) that it runs in autostart at the moment. So I just configure the config file save reboot and Go. So Is there a clone Git link I may missed because I like to set it up the same way. 
shortpocket

Activity: 38

View Profile
April 03, 2014, 06:03:44 AM

could anybody be so kind and give step by step instruction on how to get 4.2.2 working on linux (ubuntu)?
Pages: « 1 ... 689 690 691 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 711 712 713 714 715 716 717 718 719 720 721 722 723 724 725 726 727 728 729 730 731 732 733 734 735 736 737 738 [739] 740 741 742 743 744 745 746 747 748 749 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 761 762 763 764 765 766 767 768 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 780 781 782 783 784 785 786 787 788 789 ... 843 »
  Print  

Jump to: