Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:47:16 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... 221 »
  Print  
Author Topic: Avalon ASIC users thread  (Read 438333 times)
ProfMac
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 12:28:50 AM

I also need any tips you have on how to clean the circuit board. I was told isopropyl alcohol and qtips. I think the fourth module is going to be OK as I don't see any evidence of melting, bulging, etc, just what looks like burnt wire insolation.

you have access to what I need, please quote me a price and estimated delivery time via a PM.

To clean the soot, I would go to a Home Depot or an art supply store.  Look for a brush cleaner, paint thinner, or solvent that has "toluene" or "toluol" in it.  I think that would be the best thing to clean the soot.  Try a portion of the board that does not seem important before you try the whole board.

Do this outdoors.  Set it up in a cookie pan or some other containment where you can casually get up and walk away in case of fire.  Do not do it inside.

I try to be respectful and informed.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
dogie
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183

dogiecoin.com

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 12:44:36 AM

If you're looking to buy/host some Avalon batch 3 modules or if you want to sell some batch 3 clone parts (specifically a PDU and some cables), please see this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=269802.msg2886697#msg2886697

So in retrospective, for those of us looking on what NOT to do and prevent accidents, why did this happen? That power supply should have handled current perfectly. Did you do custom cabling or what? I thought Avalon provided with proper cables. I still don't understand why this happened....

He ONLY installed the 24pin mainboard connector.

arorts

Activity: 408
Merit: 250

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:17:35 AM

If you're looking to buy/host some Avalon batch 3 modules or if you want to sell some batch 3 clone parts (specifically a PDU and some cables), please see this thread: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=269802.msg2886697#msg2886697

So in retrospective, for those of us looking on what NOT to do and prevent accidents, why did this happen? That power supply should have handled current perfectly. Did you do custom cabling or what? I thought Avalon provided with proper cables. I still don't understand why this happened....

Sorry for my ignorance but what else was he supposed to connect? power only comes through one cable AFAIK.
lukestokes

Activity: 165
Merit: 102

Live life on purpose

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 01:36:47 AM

Sorry for my ignorance but what else was he supposed to connect? power only comes through one cable AFAIK.

I thought the same thing. And you if you try that, you'll end up with a melted miner. You have to hook up the 24pin ATX cable AND all of the power supply cables, like you would if you were supplying power to devices in your computer like a hard drive or a DVD player. Why it runs at all with only the single cable plugged in? I have no idea.

I've put this thread up as well to see how much interest is out there for buying Batch 3 modules: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=269845.0 I've gotten some serious offers, but most are lower than I was hoping.

http://www.foxycart.com: Helping developers create flexible, powerful, custom ecommerce in less time, while equipping merchants with the fastest checkout flow available to their customers. 60+ payment gateways, including Bitpay. Bitrated user: lukestokes.
arorts

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:49:02 AM

I thought the same thing. And you if you try that, you'll end up with a melted miner. You have to hook up the 24pin ATX cable AND all of the power supply cables, like you would if you were supplying power to devices in your computer like a hard drive or a DVD player. Why it runs at all with only the single cable plugged in? I have no idea.

I've put this thread up as well to see how much interest is out there for buying Batch 3 modules: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=269845.0 I've gotten some serious offers, but most are lower than I was hoping.

Oh, I see. Seems kind of stupid that Corsair, OCZ and all those suppliers *assume* that the only application for their PSU is a PC.

I'd appreciate if you could point me to some thread that tells me how to "trick" the rest of the cables. I have a Corsair 750W and I read the manual but never did it say anything about connecting all of them.

However, I was planning to ONLY use the Molex connectors for my mining application anyway (I don't require the use of the 24-pin connector). Not sure if I'd be in trouble as well or whether the burning issue only happens when connecting the 24-connector cable alone...thoughts?

ScaryHash

Activity: 529
Merit: 501

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 02:20:20 AM

It's only a power distribution board with melted connectors.

If somebody can post a good pic that shows all the traces, you should be able to test every single trace with a continuity tester.

Mark which one does not test good.

Then take it to a component level repair place and have them fix the traces. It won't be cheap, and it will take time, but it can be done. Resolder connectors on there, replace all capacitors, and you should be good to go.

If there is an actual chip on there that needs to be replaced, you might be screwed totally.

Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 03:17:25 AM

Oh, I see. Seems kind of stupid that Corsair, OCZ and all those suppliers *assume* that the only application for their PSU is a PC.

I'd appreciate if you could point me to some thread that tells me how to "trick" the rest of the cables. I have a Corsair 750W and I read the manual but never did it say anything about connecting all of them.

However, I was planning to ONLY use the Molex connectors for my mining application anyway (I don't require the use of the 24-pin connector). Not sure if I'd be in trouble as well or whether the burning issue only happens when connecting the 24-connector cable alone...thoughts?

The PSU worked fine, it was the connecting wire that had a problem, it appears to have caught fire and spewed molten plastic all over the board.

Anyway, all you have to do is connect the 24 pin ATX connector along with the GPU connecting wires.

arorts

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:23:04 AM

The PSU worked fine, it was the connecting wire that had a problem, it appears to have caught fire and spewed molten plastic all over the board.

Anyway, all you have to do is connect the 24 pin ATX connector along with the GPU connecting wires.

Not sure what are the other "connecting wires" you are referring . My mining board will only have molex for a fan but that's about it.
tarui

Activity: 294

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:47:23 AM

It's only a power distribution board with melted connectors.

If somebody can post a good pic that shows all the traces, you should be able to test every single trace with a continuity tester.

Mark which one does not test good.

Then take it to a component level repair place and have them fix the traces. It won't be cheap, and it will take time, but it can be done. Resolder connectors on there, replace all capacitors, and you should be good to go.

If there is an actual chip on there that needs to be replaced, you might be screwed totally.

that;s assuming i have the pinouts
Ghost of USD

Activity: 31
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:59:26 AM

The problem had nothing to do with a single faulty wire or bad PSU.

The Avalon is not designed like a PC. All of its modules and controllers are all powered by that single PDU board.

Because the power supply has a single 12V rail, if you only have the ATX connector plugged in, the Avalon tries to pull all of the ~800W (66A) it requires from 2 tiny (18 gauge) leads.

That's ~33 amps per wire, but the maximum current they can safely handle is 6 amps each. The result is guaranteed melted wires, or worse as was the case here.

When all the plugs are attached to the PDU, there are 26x 12V leads sharing the load, a much more reasonable 2.5 amps each.
Bengel

Activity: 24

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 04:01:31 AM

I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

I hooked up 3x 3-module units today and my temps seem a bit high. On all 3 of them my Temp2 sits at 60C with the fans running at 3500 RPM. Is this normal? Also what is a normal accepted/HW error ratio?
Ytterbium

Activity: 238
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 04:20:28 AM

I hooked up 3x 3-module units today and my temps seem a bit high. On all 3 of them my Temp2 sits at 60C with the fans running at 3500 RPM. Is this normal? Also what is a normal accepted/HW error ratio?

They changed the temp sensor for B3, it's closer to the chips, should have a hotter readout.

arorts

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 04:23:58 AM

The problem had nothing to do with a single faulty wire or bad PSU.

The Avalon is not designed like a PC. All of its modules and controllers are all powered by that single PDU board.

Because the power supply has a single 12V rail, if you only have the ATX connector plugged in, the Avalon tries to pull all of the ~800W (66A) it requires from 2 tiny (18 gauge) leads.

That's ~33 amps per wire, but the maximum current they can safely handle is 6 amps each. The result is guaranteed melted wires, or worse as was the case here.

When all the plugs are attached to the PDU, there are 26x 12V leads sharing the load, a much more reasonable 2.5 amps each.

Doesn't the ATX cable itself consist of 24 cables not 2? It'd seem to me that the ATX connector would be enough to distribute all the load.
Ghost of USD

Activity: 31

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 04:28:58 AM

Only 2 of those 24 wires carry 12VDC.

See the pinout:

http://image.pinout.net/pinout_network_rj45_files/24-pin-atx-pinout.gif

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1630

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 08, 2013, 08:05:29 AM

They changed the temp sensor for B3, it's closer to the chips, should have a hotter readout.
As Ytterbium said, 70 is the new 50. You will have trouble keeping them under 60, so don't try to.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
mryayo

Activity: 20

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 09:25:13 AM

Thanks for Sharing this is good information to know. The good news is that it was only your avalon that was affected and nothing else. Making me think twice about electrical fires that this thing can cause  Huh
Line

Activity: 68
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 11:33:22 AM

Sorry if this has already been discussed:

Should I be connecting the second EPS12V CPU connection on the PDU board? It seems to be working just fine with one, but I'm not interested in toasting anything!

And if I should connect it, can I just use an 8-pin PCI-e connection? I've got only one "CPU" connection on my PSU.

Thanks all
crazyearner
Legendary

Activity: 1820
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 01:47:01 PM

Can someone explain to me what NMW is cgminer for Avalon please as i see increasing numbers in this and is it anything to be worried about ?

=
  R E B E L L I O U S 
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  ▄▀▀▀▀▀▄▄                           ▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▄
▄▀        █▄▄                     ▄▄█        ▀▄
█            █████████████████████            █
█▄          ██       ██ ██       ██          ▄█
█        █            █            █        █
  █    █               █               █    █
   █ ██               █ █               ██ █
    █ █               █ █               █ █
    █ ███▄  █████▄   ██ ██   ▄█████  ▄███ █
    █     ███     █         █     ███     █
     █   █   ▀███ █  █   █  █ ███▀   █   █
     █   █      █ █  █   █  █ █      █   █
     █   █      ██  █     █  ██      █   █
      █  █     ██  █       █  ██     █  █
      █  █    ██  █ ███████ █  ██    █  █
      █ ███   ██  █         █  ██   ███ █
       █   ▀███      █   █      ███▀   █
        █     ██       █       ██     █
         █      █   ▄▄███▄▄   █      █
          ███   ███▀       ▀███   ███
             █████           █████
                  ███████████
  R E B E L L I O U S
Bengel

Activity: 24

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:25:49 PM

As Ytterbium said, 70 is the new 50. You will have trouble keeping them under 60, so don't try to.

Good to know Cheesy

I was worried there wasn't going to be any room for overclocking.
exahash

Activity: 278

View Profile
August 08, 2013, 03:29:30 PM

Sorry if this has already been discussed:

Should I be connecting the second EPS12V CPU connection on the PDU board? It seems to be working just fine with one, but I'm not interested in toasting anything!

And if I should connect it, can I just use an 8-pin PCI-e connection? I've got only one "CPU" connection on my PSU.

I connected *all* the power connectors on my b3's and they all work fine:
1 x 24-pin mobo connector
2 x EPS 12v
3 x PCI-E 8-pin

I looked around and didn't see any directions on the forums about which to connect, and Avalon shipped with no documentation, so I figured it's a power-hungry thing and why not just connect them all.

You cannot substitute the pci-e for the eps connector.
Pages: « 1 ... 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 [117] 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 ... 221 »
  Print  

Jump to: