Bitcoin Forum
December 09, 2016, 05:43:04 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 [617] 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 ... 830 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.9.2  (Read 4824974 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
twmz

Activity: 737

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 04:12:13 PM

I know I'm a bit late in menting this, but a few posts back there was a bit of confusion with where 'make clean' should go.  I think people may have been getting confused with 'make distclean'. 'make clean' should just remove old object files, etc (things generated AFTER make is executed) leaving the configure file, etc intact.  'make distclean' will do the same as 'make clean' AND it will remove the configuration file, etc too.  So 'make clean' should be safe to run after a autogen or configure command, 'make distclean' won't be safe.  If you get an error when you type make clean that there is nothing to be done, that usually means that it's already clean.

I would imagine a good thing to do when building a new version is definitely to run 'make distclean' first to clean out old configs as well, especially if the build process has changed.  Even better would be to just 'sudo rm -r <cgminer directory>' and do another git clone of the repo, then you know you are safe and don't have anything lying around if you are having problems with the build process.

I realise this was not the original posters problem in the end, but just though it should be mentioned for when people compile other things.
Alex
The problem is that with cgminer 3.4.1/2 there is a completely new configuration, so yeah anyone upgrading really needs to ensure they aren't skipping the autogen and configure ... so it's easier to say: rename the old directory (so you can get any config files or scripts from the old directory, if needed after you rebuild) and start again with an empty cgminer folder or fresh git clone ... even I made some mistakes with this back about 2 or 3 months ago when I was doing libusb version testing (and failed to switch the versions properly a few times)

I have a build.sh file in my cgminer git working directory that I run every time I want to build cgminer.  It looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

make distclean
CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./autogen.sh --enable-bflsc --enable-icarus --disable-opencl
make
mv -f cgminer cgminer-nogpu

The 'make distclean' may not be necessary every time, but it doesn't take long.

Was I helpful?  1TwmzX1wBxNF2qtAJRhdKmi2WyLZ5VHRs
WoT, GPG

Bitrated user: ewal.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin-Qt, but full nodes are more resource-heavy, and they must do a lengthy initial syncing process. As a result, lightweight clients with somewhat less security are commonly used.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Wolf0
Legendary

Activity: 1400

Miner Developer

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 04:53:50 PM

I'm trying to mine with a USB Block Erupter on Arch Linux, and I get this:

Code:
[2013-09-05 11:50:11] Error -1001: clGetPlatformsIDs failed (no OpenCL SDK installed?)                    
 [2013-09-05 11:50:11] clDevicesNum returned error, no GPUs usable                    
 [2013-09-05 11:50:11] 0 GPU devices max detected                    
 [2013-09-05 11:50:11] USB all: found 9 devices - listing known devices
.USB dev 0: Bus 6 Device 2 ID: 10c4:ea60
  ** dev 0: Failed to open, err -3                    
 [2013-09-05 11:50:11] 1 known USB devices

Scratch that, I'm a dumbass. Gotta run it as root.

Code:
Donations: BTC: 1Jp2R7dF9gYr872FkXiap2MaYaHNEfwWhZ -- XMR: 42QWoLF7pdwMcTXDviJvNkWEHJ4TXnMBh2Cx6HNkVAW57E48Zfw6wLwDUYFDYJAqY7PLJUTz9cHWB5C4wUA7UJPu5wPf4sZ -- GPG Key ID: 0x88CBE71ADD5FB10F
PatMan

Activity: 924

Watch out for the "Neg-Rep-Dogie-Police".....

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 05:23:05 PM

I know I'm a bit late in menting this, but a few posts back there was a bit of confusion with where 'make clean' should go.  I think people may have been getting confused with 'make distclean'. 'make clean' should just remove old object files, etc (things generated AFTER make is executed) leaving the configure file, etc intact.  'make distclean' will do the same as 'make clean' AND it will remove the configuration file, etc too.  So 'make clean' should be safe to run after a autogen or configure command, 'make distclean' won't be safe.  If you get an error when you type make clean that there is nothing to be done, that usually means that it's already clean.

I would imagine a good thing to do when building a new version is definitely to run 'make distclean' first to clean out old configs as well, especially if the build process has changed.  Even better would be to just 'sudo rm -r <cgminer directory>' and do another git clone of the repo, then you know you are safe and don't have anything lying around if you are having problems with the build process.

I realise this was not the original posters problem in the end, but just though it should be mentioned for when people compile other things.
Alex
The problem is that with cgminer 3.4.1/2 there is a completely new configuration, so yeah anyone upgrading really needs to ensure they aren't skipping the autogen and configure ... so it's easier to say: rename the old directory (so you can get any config files or scripts from the old directory, if needed after you rebuild) and start again with an empty cgminer folder or fresh git clone ... even I made some mistakes with this back about 2 or 3 months ago when I was doing libusb version testing (and failed to switch the versions properly a few times)

OK, here's where I'm at. I decided to do an upgrade to 13.04 64bit - fresh install of everything. This time I didn't start my p2pool node, opting to straight forward mine on a pool instead for testing purposes. The result is actually worse than with 12.04 I'm afraid, cgminer is now using 37% cpu:

Not sure what to make of this now, but for sure 37% is way too high for 40 usb sticks, and there's absolutely no chance of a previous build corrupting this one - it's all brand new........

I'm now ready to accept any and all possible solutions, no matter how ridiculous or far fetched they might sound - I really don't want to reduce myself to using the "other" mining software from "he who shall not be named"  Wink

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 05:24:22 PM

Alex

I have a build.sh file in my cgminer git working directory that I run every time I want to build cgminer.  It looks like this:

Code:
#!/bin/sh

make distclean
CFLAGS="-O2 -Wall -march=native" ./autogen.sh --enable-bflsc --enable-icarus --disable-opencl
make
mv -f cgminer cgminer-nogpu

The 'make distclean' may not be necessary every time, but it doesn't take long.

Handy to have & a good idea - thanks.

"When one person is deluded it is called insanity - when many people are deluded it is called religion" - Robert M. Pirsig.  I don't want your coins, I want change.
Amazon UK BTC payment service - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=301229.0 - with FREE delivery!
http://www.ae911truth.org/ - http://rethink911.org/ - http://rememberbuilding7.org/
PatMan

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 07:19:01 PM

Update: Been testing a few things out, with some very strange behaviour & results.

Using 1 brick of 10 usb's = 3.5% cpu
    "   2    "    "  10    "    = 12% cpu (x4!)  Shocked
    "   3    "    "  10    "    = 23% cpu (x2)
    "   4    "    "  10    "    = 37% cpu (x0.5)  Shocked

One would have thought that if 1 brick uses 3.5% cpu, then in theory 4 bricks would use a maximum of 14%, I know that's not how it works but I'm using layman's terms here. The result is the same no matter what order I try the bricks in or what usb port I use, but why the jump from 3.5% to 12% for 1 extra brick? In fact, why is it using so much cpu generally?

Kano or Ckolivas - any thoughts? Getting a bit desperate here.  Wink

gristlelump

Activity: 105

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 07:54:48 PM

Decided to just use the prebuilt Binaries instead of compiling it for Windows XP 32bit because I ran into too many problems.  I can get CGminer to load but it is only recognizing the card in the first PCI-E slot.  I have a dual card system with an Invidia gt520 in the first PCI-E slot and the XFX 5870 HD.  Cgminer will only mine on the Nvidia card although it gives and error of Multiple OpenCl devices and ADL devices being misdetected/mismatched.  I tried to use the -n function in a bat file but I get a brief flash of readout and then the program shuts down.  I have been able to mine BTC on OpenCL via GIUminer on the ATI card but for some reason it's giving me errors for scrypt mining with CGminer.  Any suggestions?

1.  Is there anyway to generate a Log file so I can read the error output message?

2.  Is there a command to put in the Bat file to ignore the primary card (nvidia) and only work off the secondary card (ati).  Since I can't get -n command to function it I don't even know if it is being detected?  It is being detected by cpuz and the system registry and I have been able to mine BTC with it but not Litecoin in scrypt?

Lucko

Activity: 714

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 08:11:33 PM

Any plans to add ASICminer blade support? BFGminer did but only linux at the moment...
streetuff

Activity: 150

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 08:39:12 PM

Any plans to add ASICminer blade support? BFGminer did but only linux at the moment...

i'd love to have that feature for my blade. i wont need the stratum proxy running then. cgminer is running on my pi with 5 usb block errupters and a ztex quad and ztex single anyway. and i dont have to touch brickminer.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 1932

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 09:31:16 PM

There is no point turning cgminer into an ancient getwork mining proxy.
It's a miner, not a mining proxy for some other getwork miner.
The blades have their own (crappy) getwork miner in them.

Pool: https://kano.is BTC: 1KanoiBupPiZfkwqB7rfLXAzPnoTshAVmb
CKPool and CGMiner developer, IRC FreeNode #ckpool and #cgminer kanoi
Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with Stratum, the best protocol to mine Bitcoins with ASIC hardware
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 09:34:36 PM

Gotta run it as root.
Or follow one of the *READMEs that tells you how to configure libusb access to USB devices for a non root user.

Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with Stratum, the best protocol to mine Bitcoins with ASIC hardware
Trongersoll

Activity: 448

Retired Software Engineer

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 09:41:22 PM

There is no point turning cgminer into an ancient getwork mining proxy.
It's a miner, not a mining proxy for some other getwork miner.
The blades have their own (crappy) getwork miner in them.

I think that people are just saying that they know you guys would do it right and would prefer one stop shopping. Right now Slush's Proxy Server is is it and Slush has been markedly missing from his pool and, to my knowledge, hasn't been providing any kind of visible support. Maybe if you guys redid Slush's software people would be happy because they know they can depend on you guys. The blades are going to be an issue for a while yet.

*insert appropriate begging line here* 
BTC: 1CS6AV7VnjcPLxaTFoUhTjXK4mQCTzfSxE
Doge: DB22tiynvXKg7SyPpnH9jyfitKLTZb6ejc
Lucko

Activity: 714

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 09:47:50 PM

I think that people are just saying that they know you guys would do it right and would prefer one stop shopping. Right now Slush's Proxy Server is is it and Slush has been markedly missing from his pool and, to my knowledge, hasn't been providing any kind of visible support. Maybe if you guys redid Slush's software people would be happy because they know they can depend on you guys. The blades are going to be an issue for a while yet.
Right on the money... Mining proxy is only one pool and blade has only 2 pools available. But still at current price it is the best miner that you can get and you get it right now. And if you can manage it to show shares and estimated speed not kb it would be even better...
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 09:51:09 PM

Kano or Ckolivas - any thoughts? Getting a bit desperate here.  Wink
Well ... firstly, as mentioned, I'd prefer to see the overall CPU usage not a screen snapshot at one particular time ... as I've explained already how to.
Run it for 15 minutes and get the top elapsed CPU and elapsed from the API (as I asked before)

Secondly, what is the CPU on that computer and what does cat /proc/cpuinfo | grep MHz say at the same time.

Thirdly, cgminer CPU usage includes the USB CPU usage ... that other miners will not have counted against them when they mine
They all do USB I/O but other miners CPU usage is not correct since the OS doesn't count the USB they all do, USB accounts for quite a lot of the CPU usage ...

SebastianJu
Legendary

Activity: 1624

Free Legendary Escrow Service - Tip Jar in Profile

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 09:55:32 PM

Can i set the order of the pools directly in the cgminer-command without moving back and forth the pools with user/pass?

██████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Get Free Bitcoin Now!
  ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦    ¦¯¦¦¯¦   
0.8%-1% House Edge
[/
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 05, 2013, 10:07:27 PM

Right on the money... Mining proxy is only one pool and blade has only 2 pools available. But still at current price it is the best miner that you can get and you get it right now. And if you can manage it to show shares and estimated speed not kb it would be even better...
10GH/s at 4BTC and current difficulty ...

Firstly ... a history of difficulty change:
Code:
Difficulty   Delta
12153411.70   8.64%
15605632.68  28.41%
19339258.27  23.92%
21335329.11  10.32%
26162875.68  22.63%
31256960.72  19.47%
37392766.13  19.63%
50810339.04  35.88%
65750060.14  29.40%
86933017.77  32.22%

Now ignoring electricity which is far from zero ...

To get your 4BTC back:

Assuming a 20% change each difficulty (last 3 have been ~30%+)
20% = ~ 11.67 days (per diff change)
100days = ~ 3.19740339 BTC
200days = ~ 3.87131435 BTC
300days = ~ 4.01209658 BTC

Assuming a 30% change each difficulty
30% = ~ 10.77 days (per diff change)
100days = ~ 2.46186984 BTC
200days = ~ 2.67882072 BTC
300days = ~ 2.69784551 BTC

So a few things:

1) They are very likely to not break even on BTC i.e. a BTC loss - so I can't see people with blades donating to get a getwork proxy server written
2) So far for all the work I've done with AsicMiner hardware of the past months I've made ... less than 0.15 BTC ... slave labour rates do better than that, so I'm not interested in helping AsicMiner make MILLIONS of dollars by fleecing the Bitcoin community of it's BTC and ensuring almost everyone who buys AsicMiner hardware loses BTC doing that
3) That's my opinion ...

-ck
Legendary

Activity: 2002

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 05, 2013, 11:20:30 PM

Any plans to add ASICminer blade support? Brickminer did but only linux at the moment...

i'd love to have that feature for my blade. i wont need the stratum proxy running then. cgminer is running on my pi with 5 usb block errupters and a ztex quad and ztex single anyway. and i dont have to touch brickminer.
I had no idea there was demand for such a feature. I don't code features because other software has it but for my own interest in the code/feature, overwhelming user demand and sponsorship. Given I have no hardware that would use it, and the getwork protocol is not used by anything else and will not be in use by any new hardware, I don't really see a compelling reason to code up what is not a trivial feature to add, I'm afraid.

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
Pooled mine at kano.is, solo mine at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 2002

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
September 06, 2013, 12:00:55 AM

Got a crash report under Windows while running the 3.4.2 debug build.

---

cgminer.exe caused a Stack Overflow at location 74946ae6 in module mswsock.dll.

Registers:
eax=00add5b8 ebx=03ff3098 ecx=ff676980 edx=ffffffff esi=03ff30a8 edi=00000000
eip=74946ae6 esp=03ff3000 ebp=03ff30f8 iopl=0         nv up ei pl zr na po nc
cs=0023  ss=002b  ds=002b  es=002b  fs=0053  gs=002b             efl=00010246

Call stack:
74946AE6  mswsock.dll:74946AE6
75ED6A28  WS2_32.dll:75ED6A28  select
00424FDF  cgminer.exe:00424FDF
004251A8  cgminer.exe:004251A8
00413ED1  cgminer.exe:00413ED1
004B1BAB  cgminer.exe:004B1BAB
76BD1287  msvcrt.dll:76BD1287  _itow_s
76BD1328  msvcrt.dll:76BD1328  _endthreadex
750833AA  kernel32.dll:750833AA  BaseThreadInitThunk
77259F72  ntdll.dll:77259F72  RtlInitializeExceptionChain
77259F45  ntdll.dll:77259F45  RtlInitializeExceptionChain

Thanks very much for doing that. Unfortunately you're not going to like the answer. The crash is in the microsoft DLL provided and not in any of the cgminer code or any DLLs I distribute. It should not be possible for my software to make an operating system provided library crash unless there's a bug in the library. Googling around I can see a few exploits in the past for that particular DLL (so I assume some security update fixed it) and some trojans that have replaced or attached themselves to that DLL. Ironically a stack overflow is precisely the exploit described so the best I can guess is that there is an updated DLL in some software update somewhere.

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
Pooled mine at kano.is, solo mine at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1302

Ø1Ø11ØØØ

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:16:02 AM

TYVM for looking into that. Hrmph. Will disable antivirus on that one system and see if it makes a difference; have AV's running on every other system on the network, so I'll take a risk for troubleshooting.

Cheers !

Got a crash report under Windows while running the 3.4.2 debug build.
cgminer.exe caused a Stack Overflow at location 74946ae6 in module mswsock.dll.
Call stack:
74946AE6  mswsock.dll:74946AE6
Thanks very much for doing that. Unfortunately you're not going to like the answer. The crash is in the microsoft DLL provided and not in any of the cgminer code or any DLLs I distribute. It should not be possible for my software to make an operating system provided library crash unless there's a bug in the library. Googling around I can see a few exploits in the past for that particular DLL (so I assume some security update fixed it) and some trojans that have replaced or attached themselves to that DLL. Ironically a stack overflow is precisely the exploit described so the best I can guess is that there is an updated DLL in some software update somewhere.
kano
Legendary

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 12:40:32 AM

Can i set the order of the pools directly in the cgminer-command without moving back and forth the pools with user/pass?
java API pools Smiley
Edit: though I should have also mentioned the exact command: poolpriority (API-README)

The Mafia

Activity: 50

View Profile
September 06, 2013, 06:42:20 AM

Sorry about the dumb question but:

I was running 3.3.1 and decided to upgrade to 3.4.2, Running Ubuntu 12.04, I get this error:

./cgminer: error while loading shared libraries: libudev.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Is there an easy way to fix this? Googled around and there were no answers that solved this for me.

Thanks in advance.
Pages: « 1 ... 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 601 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 [617] 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 652 653 654 655 656 657 658 659 660 661 662 663 664 665 666 667 ... 830 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.