Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 10:51:21 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 [601] 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 ... 843 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.1  (Read 5805211 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
xyzzy099
Legendary

Activity: 1062
Merit: 1041

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 06:50:29 PM

Trying to run cgminer to mine Litecoin with Kattare pool on an NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti and getting the following error with these BAT file settings:
For Litecoin try cudaMiner:
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=167229.0
It's way faster on Nvidia cards.
Oh, no - please don't mention a different miner in this thread!  Kano will post a 10 paragraph reply accusing you of being a shill who is just advertising for that crapminer you mentioned.  Roll Eyes
A miner that adds features that CGMiner does not have is not a bad thing. A miner that copies CGMiner and then claims that CGMiner is inferior in every imaginable way is something that Kano does not seem to take lightly. See the difference? Wink

I don't care about the difference.  When a user posts a bug report and happens to mention that the problem does not occur with some other mining software, that user does not deserve to be attacked, and the report ignored just because Kano has personal issues with another developer.

Libertarians:  Diligently plotting to take over the world and leave you alone.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 24, 2013, 09:29:04 PM

Fortunately we have nothing against the author of cudaminer, and it fills a need which I have no intention of filling - direct cuda support for nvidia miners - though the miners themselves have to figure out they can't make a profit with nvidia cards.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
kentt

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 10:33:34 PM

Hi
I'm hoping to get some advice on debugging an issue I'm having.  I'm not sure it's directly related to cgminer, but after running for a few days Xorg eats up 100% of my CPU.  I can't kill/relaunch it (even with -9).  This happens every few days.  Any advice?
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1798

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
August 24, 2013, 11:34:59 PM

Trying to run cgminer to mine Litecoin with Kattare pool on an NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti and getting the following error with these BAT file settings:
Oh, no - please don't mention a different miner in this thread!  Kano will post a 10 paragraph reply accusing you of being a shill who is just advertising for that crapminer you mentioned.  Roll Eyes
A miner that adds features that CGMiner does not have is not a bad thing. A miner that copies CGMiner and then claims that CGMiner is inferior in every imaginable way is something that Kano does not seem to take lightly. See the difference? Wink

I don't care about the difference.  When a user posts a bug report and happens to mention that the problem does not occur with some other mining software, that user does not deserve to be attacked, and the report ignored just because Kano has personal issues with another developer.

No.

As I stated in the reply before, the logic you presented was complete fail.

Something didn't work for you with program A whatever you did wrong.

So you ran program Bleargh on another operating system with a different configuration.

Even a inept fool should be able to see the logic fail there.

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
xyzzy099
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 03:25:39 AM

Oh, no - please don't mention a different miner in this thread!  Kano will post a 10 paragraph reply accusing you of being a shill who is just advertising for that crapminer you mentioned.  Roll Eyes

I don't care about the difference.  When a user posts a bug report and happens to mention that the problem does not occur with some other mining software, that user does not deserve to be attacked, and the report ignored just because Kano has personal issues with another developer.

No.

So you ran program Bleargh on another operating system with a different configuration.

It's not clear to me what "logic" you are referring to.

I simply reported a problem I had with CGMiner using the official release binaries on Windows 7 x64.  I then pointed out that I did not have this problem when NOT using the official release binaries of CGMiner on Windows 7 x64.

There was no logical implication, just a report that something that was known to work in a different configuration did NOT work when using the official release binary distribution of CGMiner on Windows7 x64.  End of report.

The right thing for you to do would be to simply apologize and admit that you flew off the handle because I inadvertently mentioned a topic that apparently is a hot-button for you.  I did not intend to bait you, and you will notice that I have refrained, out of courtesy to you, from further mention of that specific topic.

Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1067

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 04:44:45 AM

No.

Kano, you need to chill out dude. You're a tremendous douche-bag at times. No need for that unless you are applying for a job at Butterfly Labs.
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 05:25:22 AM

I'm unable to compile 3.4.0 on Mac OS X:

Code:
util.c: In function ‘cgtimer_time’:
util.c:891: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘clock_gettime’
util.c:891: error: ‘CLOCK_MONOTONIC’ undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c:891: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
util.c:891: error: for each function it appears in.)
util.c: In function ‘nanosleep_abstime’:
util.c:899: warning: implicit declaration of function ‘clock_nanosleep’
util.c:899: error: ‘CLOCK_MONOTONIC’ undeclared (first use in this function)
util.c:899: error: ‘TIMER_ABSTIME’ undeclared (first use in this function)

Seems like clock_gettime(CLOCK_MONOTONIC, ...) is not available on OS X.
Yay for more unimplemented POSIX features on an operating system that claims to be POSIX. More like POSOSX.

Will create a generic workaround for the next version.
If you can build from git and you're on OSX, try building now as I've added a generic workaround for this.

-ck
Karin

Activity: 109
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 06:32:50 AM

If you can build from git and you're on OSX, try building now as I've added a generic workaround for this.

Cool!  Thanks for doing this.  I get this when compiling now:

Code:
util.c:1017: error: ‘ts’ undeclared (first use in this function)

Easiest to use bitcoin/litecoin miner for Mac: AsteroidApp.com | @AsteroidApp | Bitcointalk forum thread
Unofficial cgminer for Mac OS X | sgminer for Mac OS X
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 06:34:45 AM

Cool!  Thanks for doing this.  I get this when compiling now:

Code:
util.c:1017: error: ‘ts’ undeclared (first use in this function)
Thanks. git pull and try again please (I'm coding blind!)

-ck
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 07:13:01 AM

For the brave (and very few) BFL SC single owners out there that wish to flash your devices to try and get the last bit of hashrate out of them, I have uploaded 3 different compiled firmwares here:

http://ck.kolivas.org/apps/cgminer/BitForce_SC/BitForce_SC_1.2.6ck.zip

They all try to enable extra engines than the default firmware does, but in addition I have made 3 different speed ones available, they're tagged 7,8 and 9.

I suggest you start with the 7 first, and if your HW error% rate is less than 2%, try the next one up. I have two singles and one worked best with the 7 version while the other with the 9, so each device will be different.

Remember to put the pins right when connecting your AVR dragon to flash it, and note the different device that Amtel Studio tells you the single is (compared to the Jalapeno) and change your settings accordingly.

If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about, then just ignore this message, since it assumes lots of prior knowledge about flashing the Jalapeno.

any chance that it could work on Little single?
Askit2

Activity: 981
Merit: 500

DIV - Your "Virtual Life" Secured and Decentralize

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 10:42:41 AM

No.

Kano, you need to chill out dude. You're a tremendous douche-bag at times. No need for that unless you are applying for a job at Butterfly Labs.

Maybe I missed where the OP of the complaint stated that he tried compiling on windows, or compiled CGminer on Linux. Re-reading it a few times I noted the OP had only stated trying the binary release on windows. Not compiling, not an older version, not switching to Linux.

What the OP did was shortly after posting a problem that could be A) windows related, B) cgminer software related or C) hardware related the OP posted that switching the OS to Linux, the software to another software that the problem disappeared. As far as I know the OP of the complaint switched hardware too as I am not seeing where the OP had gone to the trouble of reformatting to run Linux. So sure by changing everything but the block erupters I can assure you the problem was not directly the block erupters. But as far as a bug in cgminer I think maybe a little more stringent diagnostic procedure is required to have a guess at that.

To be honest I can assure you using less shortcuts on the same testing strategy months before I had issues with CGminer on windows. All timeout related. Even increasing the timeout (Kano did it to try to fix the problem) there was nothing fixing that version. I could have stratum on eclipse or far lower errors on cgminer rolling back to an older version. I did build on windows from kano's git. I did try other things. I finally ordered a Raspberry pi compiled the newest cgminer (at the time) and suddenly the errors went away. Same version I wanted to run on windows just on Linux. Now unfortunately the problem could be A) the computer I used to use, or B) the operating system. Since I could run the previous version without issues without the hardware errors the problem wasn't directly with my hardware. There was a compatibility issue with the timer in windows not being accurate enough. Since I could keep the CGminer version the same on both I could prove that cgminer itself wasn't the issue. If the timeouts had been caused by cgminers lower latency on that version it would apply to the much slower raspberry pi with even lower latency on linux.

Now given that level or more of testing I would say maybe the OP had a bug. Given the information posted either the OP didn't test anything or forgot to mention any tests the ran to try to track down the error. Maybe there is a bug. But is the bug with windows, cgminer or the OP's hardware? I can't answer that. No one can off of the information provided.

I am sure they are looking for the bug right now. Given a little more information maybe they will know where to look for the bug. To me it seems better to ask what would help them find the bug that was so bothersome. Maybe hold other variables still while changing only one at a time so as to narrow down the possibilities.

I have reported bugs here. I have been met with no real hostility by anyone. I just ask how to fix whatever error I was having. I let them know what versions the error hadn't shown up on until. By doing that at least the places to look for the bug is limited to the changes between the last known good version and  the current version

▄▄
        ▄█▀▀█▄
      ▄█▀ ▄▄ ▀█▄
      ▀ ▄████▄ ▀
   ▄▀ ▄ ▀████▀ ▄ ▀▄
 ▄▀ ▄███▄ ▀▀ ▄███▄ ▀▄
█  ███████  ███████  █
 ▀▄ ▀███▀ ▄▄ ▀███▀ ▄▀

▀▄ ▀ ▄████▄ ▀ ▄▀
      ▄ ▀████▀ ▄
      ▀█▄ ▀▀ ▄█▀
        ▀█▄▄█▀
          ▀▀
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████████▀▀▀▀▀████▀▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀▀▀███████
██████            ▀████████     ████     █████    █████     ███████
██████     ▄▄▄▄▄    ▀██████     █████    ████      ████    ████████
██████     ██████▄    █████     █████    ▀██▀  ▄▄  ▀██▀    ████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████    ██   ██   ██    █████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████    ██   ██   ██    █████████
██████     ███████    █████     ██████     █   ██   █     █████████
██████     █████▀    ██████     ███████       ████       ██████████
██████     ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄██████     ████████     ██████     ███████████
██████            ▄████████     ████████     ██████     ███████████
██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████████▄▄▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄▄██████▄▄▄▄████████████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
.DIWtoken.com.
▄██████████████████▄
███       ▀███████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███       █████████
███              ██
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███   ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   ███
███              ███
███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███
██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
███████████▀ ███████
█████████▀   ███████
███████▀     ██▀ ███
███ ▀▀       █▄▄████
███          █▀▀▀▀██
███ ▄▄       ███████
██████▄     █▄ ▀███
█████████▄   ███▄███
███████████▄ ███████
▀██████████████████▀

▄██████████████████▄
████████████████████
███████████████▀▀ ██
█████████▀▀     ███
████▀▀     ▄█▀   ███
███▄    ▄██      ███
█████████▀      ▄██
█████████▄     ████
█████████████▄ ▄████
████████████████████
▀██████████████████▀
......SECURITY DECENTRALIZED...
kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 11:10:44 AM

Fuck off Smiley

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
xyzzy099
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 12:35:59 PM

No.

Maybe I missed where the OP of the complaint stated that he tried compiling on windows, or compiled CGminer on Linux. Re-reading it a few times I noted the OP had only stated trying the binary release on windows. Not compiling, not an older version, not switching to Linux.

What the OP did was shortly after posting a problem that could be A) windows related, B) cgminer software related or C) hardware related the OP posted that switching the OS to Linux, the software to another software that the problem disappeared. As far as I know the OP of the complaint switched hardware too as I am not seeing where the OP had gone to the trouble of reformatting to run Linux. So sure by changing everything but the block erupters I can assure you the problem was not directly the block erupters. But as far as a bug in cgminer I think maybe a little more stringent diagnostic procedure is required to have a guess at that.

To be honest I can assure you using less shortcuts on the same testing strategy months before I had issues with CGminer on windows. All timeout related. Even increasing the timeout (Kano did it to try to fix the problem) there was nothing fixing that version. I could have stratum on eclipse or far lower errors on cgminer rolling back to an older version. I did build on windows from kano's git. I did try other things. I finally ordered a Raspberry pi compiled the newest cgminer (at the time) and suddenly the errors went away. Same version I wanted to run on windows just on Linux. Now unfortunately the problem could be A) the computer I used to use, or B) the operating system. Since I could run the previous version without issues without the hardware errors the problem wasn't directly with my hardware. There was a compatibility issue with the timer in windows not being accurate enough. Since I could keep the CGminer version the same on both I could prove that cgminer itself wasn't the issue. If the timeouts had been caused by cgminers lower latency on that version it would apply to the much slower raspberry pi with even lower latency on linux.

Now given that level or more of testing I would say maybe the OP had a bug. Given the information posted either the OP didn't test anything or forgot to mention any tests the ran to try to track down the error. Maybe there is a bug. But is the bug with windows, cgminer or the OP's hardware? I can't answer that. No one can off of the information provided.

I am sure they are looking for the bug right now. Given a little more information maybe they will know where to look for the bug. To me it seems better to ask what would help them find the bug that was so bothersome. Maybe hold other variables still while changing only one at a time so as to narrow down the possibilities.

I have reported bugs here. I have been met with no real hostility by anyone. I just ask how to fix whatever error I was having. I let them know what versions the error hadn't shown up on until. By doing that at least the places to look for the bug is limited to the changes between the last known good version and  the current version

All this might be applicable, if my goal was to troubleshoot CGMiner.  It was not.  My goal was to get my mining hardware mining reliably.  I tried one configuration, which happened to be a very generic install of the release distribution of CGMiner, and I had problems with that configuration.  I then tried a different configuration that worked 100%.  I'm done, my problem is solved.

I posted the problem that I had experienced here to alert the developers that there might be an issue, because I thought that was the right thing to do.  I would think that the information that a generic install of CGMiner appeared to have problems with Block Erupters might be worth knowing to the developers, and the fact that the same Block Erupters worked perfectly in another configuration was just included to demonstrate that there was no hardware problem involved.

Now, you can fairly say that that is not a very detailed bug report, and therefore of limited value to the developer.  I did not invest any time at all in trying to fix CGMiner, because my goal was just to get my hardware reliably making money ASAP, and I accomplished that.

That being said, I could understand if my post was answered with "Well, that's not really enough information for me to determine the problem you were having, and I cannot reproduce this failure, so I can't act on this report."

Instead, I was attacked as a SHILL, who was somehow ADVERTISING for a 'competitor'!  Does that not seems just a little over the top to you?

Maybe it wasn't the best bug report ever written, but I did not deserve the response I got.

kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 01:26:52 PM

So by your own admission, the first part of your post was pretty much useless

Now, you can fairly say that that is not a very detailed bug report, and therefore of limited value to the developer.  I did not invest any time at all in trying to fix CGMiner, because my goal was just to get my hardware reliably making money ASAP, and I accomplished that.
But in case it wasn't obvious, it was not of limited value, it was of no value at all.
It works for others who do it correctly and read the READMEs, so your complete lack of any information at all says indeed the first half of your post was completely useless.

And the 2nd part of your post is saying to use another miner.

OK, it's worse than fail logic, it's a completely pointless post that only tells people to use another miner.

... and to top it off you're filling this thread up with big useless crap posts also ...

As I said at the start of this: Go away.

I will also point out something that you probably completely missed also ... that your USBs you have bought will never mine the amount of BTC you paid for them.

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
August 25, 2013, 01:28:29 PM

* ckolivas groans

-ck
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 01:35:04 PM

I will also point out something that you probably completely missed also ... that your USBs you have bought will never mine the amount of BTC you paid for them.

Are you in the future telling business now?  You know for certain the value of BTC will never go above the current $120/USD? 

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
kano
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 01:50:53 PM

Are you in the future telling business now?  You know for certain the value of BTC will never go above the current $120/USD? 

M

... will never mine the amount of BTC you paid for them.

Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 01:52:12 PM

* ckolivas groans

Hey man, he's your partner... (Passive-aggressive smiley face)

xyzzy099
Legendary

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 01:52:42 PM

But in case it wasn't obvious, it was not of limited value, it was of no value at all.
It works for others who do it correctly and read the READMEs, so your complete lack of any information at all says indeed the first half of your post was completely useless.

OK, it's worse than fail logic, it's a completely pointless post that only tells people to use another miner.

... and to top it off you're filling this thread up with big useless crap posts also ...

It was of NO value because instead of asking for more detail, you just attacked me irrationally, claiming I was advertising for your 'competition'.

I never instructed anyone to use any other miner.  I just stated what happened in my case.  I used configuration A, and it failed.  Then I used configuration B, and it worked 100 %.  End of story.

Xian01
Legendary

Christian Antkow

View Profile
August 25, 2013, 01:57:38 PM

It was of NO value because instead of asking for more detail, you just attacked me irrationally, claiming I was advertising for your 'competition'.
I never instructed anyone to use any other miner.  I just stated what happened in my case.  I used configuration A, and it failed.  Then I used configuration B, and it worked 100 %.  End of story.

As much as I loathe Luke-Jr, I'm tempted to try Bllllaaaarrrggghhhhminer on Windows to see if resolves a consistent crash issues after a couple days I'm having with CGMiner driving AMUs.

Thanks Kano. Much like with Butterfly Labs, your terrible attitude has driven me to your competition.
Pages: « 1 ... 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 569 570 571 572 573 574 575 576 577 578 579 580 581 582 583 584 585 586 587 588 589 590 591 592 593 594 595 596 597 598 599 600 [601] 602 603 604 605 606 607 608 609 610 611 612 613 614 615 616 617 618 619 620 621 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 633 634 635 636 637 638 639 640 641 642 643 644 645 646 647 648 649 650 651 ... 843 »
  Print  

Jump to: