Bitcoin Forum
December 06, 2016, 08:00:56 PM *
News: To be able to use the next phase of the beta forum software, please ensure that your email address is correct/functional.

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 ... 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 [510] 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 ... 830 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.9.2  (Read 4820090 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic.
-ck
Legendary

Activity: 1988

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 12:20:10 PM

i am mining with cgminer 3.1.0 with an stratum mining pool.
i often get this error: Accepted untracked stratum share from pool 0
What does this mean ?
Can somebody explain the reason for that ?

A perfectly valid question.

When cgminer sends shares via stratum, it does not send the share and then wait for the response as this might slow down the sending of other shares. This means that the response back from the pool is processed separately from the share submission (to make the most of a truly multithreaded environment). However there is never a guarantee that the responses come back in the same order you send them. So cgminer stores a copy of each share as it sends it to the server in its own local database of submitted shares. When it gets a response back about that share from the pool, it deletes the copy of that share. Now stratum is meant to be an uninterrupted connection to the pool, and if you lose that connection, it is assumed that your "session" is no longer valid. So if you send some shares and get disconnected before you get a response, cgminer has to assume that those shares have been lost - otherwise it may end up keeping copies of heaps of shares that it will never get a response to and wastes memory. If you manage to reconnect, sometimes the pool will actually tell you "oh by the way those shares are ok" - however cgminer has now thrown out the record of what those shares were and can only say that the pool said a share was accepted or rejected. Then cgminer just says it's an "untracked share".

Summary: Find a pool/network setup that gives you a more reliable connection.

Primary developer/maintainer for cgminer and ckpool/ckproxy.
Pooled mine at kano.is, solo mine at solo.ckpool.org
-ck

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.
karnac

Activity: 7

View Profile WWW
May 16, 2013, 02:32:31 PM

i am mining with cgminer 3.1.0 with an stratum mining pool.
i often get this error: Accepted untracked stratum share from pool 0
What does this mean ?
Can somebody explain the reason for that ?
You might also try using the IP of your pool instead of its domain name. just ping it to find out.
toinodascoives

Activity: 52

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 04:21:54 PM

I recently moved to cgminer and i noticed that hash rate drop when screen power its turn off, is there a way to avoid that?

Shouldnt be the opposite as GPU no longer need to refresh the screen?

Most likely its some software config or any linux/windows configuration that i'm falling. Sry if its double post i tryed to search and found noothing related with this issue.

Tks in advance for the reply

If you like idea or the reply was useful and want to donate Smiley
19ngAAx7qExTqBYpDHTvhbjvH5pzXAmsCq
SkyNet

Activity: 77

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 06:21:44 PM

I recently moved to cgminer and i noticed that hash rate drop when screen power its turn off, is there a way to avoid that?

Most likely its some software config or any linux/windows configuration that i'm falling. Sry if its double post i tryed to search and found noothing related with this issue.

Looks like the GPU is idling for some peculiar reason.
Did you try dummy vga plugs?

Tips: 1JmQ78JprWePM3EapnacPFfAtTrob8ofmU
klotzenhotz

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 06:25:29 PM

Short question: Is it possible to mine with several different fpgas at the same time? For instance a ztex board plus a few of these: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195004.msg2025318#msg2025318

Works that "out of the box" (start cgminer and that's it) or would that be somehow tricky?
toinodascoives

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 07:17:02 PM

Tks for the tip, i haven't tryed that but looks easy and i got the resistances, but it will make a little energy drop there.

Im still wondering if there is some solution on software conf. that dont allow the GPU (ATI) to idle and drop near half of the hash power.

Tks for the sugestions /help

juhakall

Activity: 422

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 09:34:40 PM

Tks for the tip, i haven't tryed that but looks easy and i got the resistances, but it will make a little energy drop there.

Im still wondering if there is some solution on software conf. that dont allow the GPU (ATI) to idle and drop near half of the hash power.

If you are using cards that support ULPS, disable it. Latest MSI Afterburner has a convenient checkbox for doing so. That's exactly what happens when the display is powered off on an ULPS-enabled card.

Also, with a 2x7970 Crossfire setup, I had to disable monitor power saving totally, just disabling ULPS didn't help there.
kano
Legendary

Activity: 1918

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 16, 2013, 11:30:41 PM

Short question: Is it possible to mine with several different fpgas at the same time? For instance a ztex board plus a few of these: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=195004.msg2025318#msg2025318

Works that "out of the box" (start cgminer and that's it) or would that be somehow tricky?
Yes - I do already.
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg2129102#msg2129102
and
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg2137231#msg2137231

However at the moment it also requires options of --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 2.9761=100

I'm now updating the code to automatically detect all Icarus devices (the AMU - AsicminerUSB is an Icarus device) and it will have similar to those options by default for the AMU and default options for Lancelot and Cairnsmore1 also

Pool: https://kano.is BTC: 1KanoiBupPiZfkwqB7rfLXAzPnoTshAVmb
CKPool and CGMiner developer, IRC FreeNode #ckpool and #cgminer kanoi
Help keep Bitcoin secure by mining on pools with Stratum, the best protocol to mine Bitcoins with ASIC hardware
toinodascoives

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 12:19:34 PM

If you are using cards that support ULPS, disable it. Latest MSI Afterburner has a convenient checkbox for doing so. That's exactly what happens when the display is powered off on an ULPS-enabled card.

Also, with a 2x7970 Crossfire setup, I had to disable monitor power saving totally, just disabling ULPS didn't help there.

Tks for the reply, it is a very good tip for those who use several GPUs, i would be happy if it was my case but unfortunately i only use one. I tryed it just in case anyway but it didnt maked any change.

I will try look into Power saving configs. when the screen its turned off to see if there is smth i can change, meanwhile if someone got any idea or know what can be causing the problem it would be welcome some tips Smiley

Economics

Activity: 35

View Profile
May 17, 2013, 02:47:35 PM

Let me know if this is unsupported, but I think I found a bug (or my misunderstanding of the capabilities) in cgminer.  I'm running cgminer on BAMT with a GPU mining bitcoins and everything works just fine 24/7. 

I wanted to check out some FreiCoin (sha256d), so I added a second pool to my list of pools in cgminer.conf and then set rotate to 5 minutes.  My expectation is that every five minutes I would alternate between mining BitCoins and FreiCoins.  Everything seemed to work the first day, but the second day the BitCoin pool had some connection problems (stratum connection interrupted) and it kept switching between the pools.  Unfortunately it seemed that it would submit BitCoin work to the FreiCoin pool and vice-versa.  I got quite a few strange errors, including 'H not zero' replies from the pools.  Sorry, I don't have a good log right now.

Is this supposed to work?  Is there a better way to achieve this goal of mining two types of coins on the same hardware?

-E

P.S.  Thanks for the great software.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 17, 2013, 02:50:16 PM

Let me know if this is unsupported, but I think I found a bug (or my misunderstanding of the capabilities) in cgminer.  I'm running cgminer on BAMT with a GPU mining bitcoins and everything works just fine 24/7. 

I wanted to check out some FreiCoin (sha256d), so I added a second pool to my list of pools in cgminer.conf and then set rotate to 5 minutes.  My expectation is that every five minutes I would alternate between mining BitCoins and FreiCoins.  Everything seemed to work the first day, but the second day the BitCoin pool had some connection problems (stratum connection interrupted) and it kept switching between the pools.  Unfortunately it seemed that it would submit BitCoin work to the FreiCoin pool and vice-versa.  I got quite a few strange errors, including 'H not zero' replies from the pools.  Sorry, I don't have a good log right now.

Is this supposed to work?  Is there a better way to achieve this goal of mining two types of coins on the same hardware?

-E

Third line of readme...

You're welcome.

-ck
juhakall

Activity: 422

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:20:41 AM

-E

Run a separate instance of cgminer for each coin, and make a script that uses the API to enable GPUs on some instance, and disable them on all the others.
Coiner505

Activity: 9

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 01:24:22 AM

Thanks for cgminer. It's an awesome tool. That's some pretty weird programming, for scrypt, with some weird magic sweet spot ratio between GPU clock and memory clock speed. I can't even imagine what the heck you're doing. But it works! Smiley

You say to make sure you have enough system RAM, more than your combined GPU RAM. I also can't make any sense of that. In Linux (Ubuntu-64bit), my cgminer process reserves just over 1GB VIRT memory, and only uses 60-70MB resident. I have 4GB system RAM, and "top" claims 2.5GB free. Yet my two GPUs add up to 6 GB of GDDR5. Everything seems to work well, but I can't hit some of the peaks I read about, like 700 KH/sec on a 7970 w/3GB.

I tried doubling my system RAM from 4GB to 8GB and absolutely nothing changed.

Any suggestions or comments?
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 01:28:13 AM

Thanks for cgminer. It's an awesome tool. That's some pretty weird programming, for scrypt, with some weird magic sweet spot ratio between GPU clock and memory clock speed. I can't even imagine what the heck you're doing. But it works! Smiley

You say to make sure you have enough system RAM, more than your combined GPU RAM. I also can't make any sense of that. In Linux (Ubuntu-64bit), my cgminer process reserves just over 1GB VIRT memory, and only uses 60-70MB resident. I have 4GB system RAM, and "top" claims 2.5GB free. Yet my two GPUs add up to 6 GB of GDDR5. Everything seems to work well, but I can't hit some of the peaks I read about, like 700 KH/sec on a 7970 w/3GB.

I tried doubling my system RAM from 4GB to 8GB and absolutely nothing changed.

Any suggestions or comments?

Not really, there is some magic going on that you're not aware of. When GPUs talk to the operating system, they use pinned memory if possible to transfer information from GPU to system, even if cgminer itself uses hardly anything (I designed it to be very lean internally). There is no doubt that having enough ram matters, but what that equation is, no one has been able to accurately figure out. I think you just need more system RAM than the largest GPU RAM. You probably don't need more system RAM than the total GPU RAM.

-ck
Xian01
Legendary

Activity: 1302

󮀓1刎

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 06:20:27 AM

I have a 7950 in one of my rigs that is a bit "wonky", and every other week or so, it just stops hashing and appears as DEAD in CGMiner.

If I quit and restart the miner (q, up-arrow, enter), up comes the wonky card again for at least another week with no problems.

Thought it might be worth reporting as a curiosity.
klotzenhotz

Activity: 252

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 07:57:32 AM

Yes - I do already.
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg2129102#msg2129102
and
 https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.msg2137231#msg2137231

However at the moment it also requires options of --icarus-options 115200:1:1 --icarus-timing 2.9761=100

I'm now updating the code to automatically detect all Icarus devices (the AMU - AsicminerUSB is an Icarus device) and it will have similar to those options by default for the AMU and default options for Lancelot and Cairnsmore1 also

Thank you. So besides of these options, the icarus usb devices plus a ztex board would be automatically recognized and worked on? That'd be great.
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 10:14:20 AM

I have a 7950 in one of my rigs that is a bit "wonky", and every other week or so, it just stops hashing and appears as DEAD in CGMiner.

If I quit and restart the miner (q, up-arrow, enter), up comes the wonky card again for at least another week with no problems.

I have the same issue.  I remember reading the AMD drivers go kaput after so many days of continually use. 

M

MMinerMonitor author, monitor/auto/schedule reboots/alerts/remote/MobileMiner for Ants and Spondoolies! Latest (5.2). MPoolMonitor author, monitor stats/workers for most pools, global BTC stats (current/nxt diff/USD val/hashrate/calc)! Latest (v4.2) 
Buyer beware of Bitmain hardware and services.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 10:35:38 AM

I have the same issue.  I remember reading the AMD drivers go kaput after so many days of continually use. 

M
Windows?

-ck
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1358

View Profile
May 18, 2013, 11:41:11 AM

M
Windows?

Mine is.  Op didn't say.

M

MMinerMonitor author, monitor/auto/schedule reboots/alerts/remote/MobileMiner for Ants and Spondoolies! Latest (5.2). MPoolMonitor author, monitor stats/workers for most pools, global BTC stats (current/nxt diff/USD val/hashrate/calc)! Latest (v4.2) 
Buyer beware of Bitmain hardware and services.
-ck
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 18, 2013, 11:43:53 AM

Windows?

Mine is.  Op didn't say.
The question was mostly rhetorical. Windows does the driver reset dance sometimes and I have a small related entry in the FAQ about it. I've had linux mining on the same cgminer instance for 6 months once. I'm led to believe that's impossible on windows.

-ck
Pages: « 1 ... 460 461 462 463 464 465 466 467 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 [510] 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 518 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 ... 830 »
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.