Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:26:15 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 ... 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 [518] 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 ... 843 »
  Print  
Author Topic: OFFICIAL CGMINER mining software thread for linux/win/osx/mips/arm/r-pi 4.11.1  (Read 5805214 times)
This is a self-moderated topic. If you do not want to be moderated by the person who started this topic, create a new topic. (3 posts by 1+ user deleted.)
The Mafia

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 01:50:31 AM

ckolivas, I think the debug version of cgminer might me a bit old? It doesn't recognise the option "--scrypt"

Sorry to be a pain in the butt!
I just built it but I guess I missed that. Hang on while I make another.

haha thanks Smiley
Okay, try again.

Ok, all done. Its running now. I will let you know when it crashes (If it does) and gives me some output.

Is it ok to just post it here??

Unfortunately, it stopped again with the same error and did not restart. cgminer just hung.

http://users.on.net/pacey/error2.jpg

Is there some type of logging I can turn on?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TalkImg was created especially for hosting images on bitcointalk.org: try it next time you want to post an image
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 4088
Merit: 1631

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 01:55:24 AM

Unfortunately, it stopped again with the same error and did not restart. cgminer just hung.

Is there some type of logging I can turn on?
I'm quite sure it's just drowning deep in some windows networking code unable to resolve a new address while the old connection is stuck somewhere in the void... Usual debugging is to start with "-D -T --verbose" as well (as it says in the readme), but expect lots of noise spewed out. Not sure it will really help but at least it will identify what the last thing is it tries to do when it hangs.

Developer/maintainer for cgminer, ckpool/ckproxy, and the -ck kernel
2% Fee Solo mining at solo.ckpool.org
-ck
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:46:44 AM

Windows 7 - 64bit
AMD 13.1 & 13.4 drivers. (And whatever sdk is with those)
Cgminer 3.1.1

What else is running?  I have 2 machines with the same setup with 4x7970 with no problems.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
The Mafia

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:48:22 AM

Sweet mother of god, that's a lot of output.

I have it logging to a log file. I will keep an eye on the size so it doesn't blow out and fill the HDD.

Ass soon as it crashes I will give you the output of the last heap of lines.
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 02:49:43 AM

Windows 7 - 64bit
AMD 13.1 & 13.4 drivers. (And whatever sdk is with those)
Cgminer 3.1.1

What else is running?  I have 2 machines with the same setup with 4x7970 with no problems.
I suspect this is related to some reconnection or IP change or something along those lines so you need a flaky connection to have a problem.

-ck
The Mafia

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:51:55 AM

M

I had 2 separate machines - one connected via the LAN and one via wireless same internet connection, and they both did the same thing. I think it has something to do with a connection drop.

Does yours do it when your Internet connection pauses/hangs or drops?
Blisk

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 07:21:50 AM

updating to 3.1.1 got me a 5 mhash/s on my 7970 Cheesy!
is there a 3.1.1. for windows too? I can't find to download it.

You could click on the link in the top post.

I did and site was down

kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:01:00 AM

updating to 3.1.1 got me a 5 mhash/s on my 7970 Cheesy!
is there a 3.1.1. for windows too? I can't find to download it.

You could click on the link in the top post.

I did and site was down
Well there is exactly one line below that link:
"As a backup they can be downloaded here:"

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
Blisk

Activity: 412
Merit: 250

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 09:30:23 AM

thanks now works I have downloaded.

-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 27, 2013, 12:12:04 PM

So I have completed 3 major rewrites of the avalon driver code to improve it. One was playground for testing things out and never really built, but I'm left with two different rewrites, and a question for existing users.

The first is a complete rewrite of the read/write mechanism using the existing serial usb driver (ftdi) which should be much more robust at staying in sync with results coming in from the device, as well as more accurately picking when the device is misbehaving and hopefully be more reliable at resetting it. This code is currently in a git branch called avalon-serialdev .

The second is an even more complete rewrite, built on the avalon-serialdev one with direct USB bypassing the ftdi driver entirely. The avalon does some weird and (not so) wonderful things to emulate running serial at 115200 baud, and the ftdi chip has some serious limitations I never would have known about had I not started poking around (for instance, the driver reads from the device every 1 millisecond because the buffer is so small it easily overflows). The modified code is more efficient and uses a lot less OS-kernel time but the demonstrable CPU usage of cgminer itself looks the same. This code works reliably and solidly... on a linux PC. This code is currently in a git branch called avalon-usbdev .

Now this is where it gets tricky. The direct USB code does not really work at all on the MIPS router that is built into the Avalon device itself. I'm not really sure if it's a libusb limitation, a different implementation or what, but it just does not work, and what does work appears extraordinarily slow. Only installing usbmon onto the device will tell me for sure, and that's not as trivial as I wish it were. We'll see how much time I get in the future to investigate this and whether it's even worth doing or not.

So down to my questions. How many avalon users here wish to be running them via a PC instead of as the standalone device it is? I suspect precious few. How many of you even want to be building your own binaries versus the number downloading the latest firmware? It would be possible to release a new version of cgminer that has both drivers but that will become a maintenance burden long term - and without having an avalon myself, it could end up going to bitrot. I've already made massive improvements to the serial usb based code and would be happy to push that alone into the next cgminer version and Xiangfu should be able to make you all new firmware with it.

I should add the Avalon team have made it clear they will not be providing me with a free Avalon outright to further development. Talks continue on that front...

-ck
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 12:48:19 PM

So down to my questions. How many avalon users here wish to be running them via a PC instead of as the standalone device it is? I suspect precious few.

I'll probably be interested.
I don't think that upgrading firmwares is viable for me long-term: I manage pools, configurations and watchdogs by deploying various scripts on my rigs that won't easily run on an Avalon (lots of dependencies to install).
If I understand correctly, to mine with a PC we need to disconnect the MIPS-based card from the controller (an USB cable to disconnect) and connect the controller to a PC with a simple USB cable. If it's not much more difficult than that chances are this is how I'll run my Avalon just after I tested it in its standard configuration.

How many of you even want to be building your own binaries versus the number downloading the latest firmware? It would be possible to release a new version of cgminer that has both drivers but that will become a maintenance burden long term - and without having an avalon myself, it could end up going to bitrot. I've already made massive improvements to the serial usb based code and would be happy to push that alone into the next cgminer version and Xiangfu should be able to make you all new firmware with it.

Hum, can't Xiangfu maintain the driver for Avalon's firmware so that you can only focus on the more standard one? When I get my Avalon (edit: batch2 ordered February the 18th) if all goes well (horror stories about Avalons damaged in transport haunt me) I can volunteer myself for the maintenance of the standard PC driver if you need help.
That would not be the first time I develop/maintain drivers for hardware I own, I'm already familiar with parts of cgminer's code and this time it would even be profitable to do so.

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
kano
Legendary

Activity: 4466
Merit: 1800

Linux since 1997 RedHat 4

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 02:39:02 PM

Hum, can't Xiangfu maintain the driver for Avalon's firmware so that you can only focus on the more standard one? When I get my Avalon (edit: batch2 ordered February the 18th) if all goes well (horror stories about Avalons damaged in transport haunt me) I can volunteer myself for the maintenance of the standard PC driver if you need help.
That would not be the first time I develop/maintain drivers for hardware I own, I'm already familiar with parts of cgminer's code and this time it would even be profitable to do so.
PC version uses my new usbutils libusb library (that ckolivas has now worked on also) that is quite different is some respects to the old serial-usb library.
So you'd need to look at the other drivers, that have all now been rewritten since the end of last year, and their 'quirks' (which with the next release will be ALL the other drivers except ZTex since it will finally include Icarus)
ZTex uses libusb also, but has it's own interface library nelisky and dennisx wrote (which is why it doesn't support hotplug among other things)

Pool: https://kano.is - low 0.5% fee PPLNS 3 Days - Most reliable Solo with ONLY 0.5% fee   Bitcointalk thread: Forum
Discord support invite at https://kano.is/ Majority developer of the ckpool code - k for kano
The ONLY active original developer of cgminer. Original master git: https://github.com/kanoi/cgminer
gyverlb

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
May 27, 2013, 08:17:50 PM

PC version uses my new usbutils libusb library (that ckolivas has now worked on also) that is quite different is some respects to the old serial-usb library.
So you'd need to look at the other drivers, that have all now been rewritten since the end of last year, and their 'quirks' (which with the next release will be ALL the other drivers except ZTex since it will finally include Icarus)
ZTex uses libusb also, but has it's own interface library nelisky and dennisx wrote (which is why it doesn't support hotplug among other things)

That's one of the positive sides for me: I've often wanted to get my hands dirty with low-level usb (as it doesn't always work like it's supposed too) so libusb instead of the serial interface would probably be far more interesting.
I did the same with one Linux PATA driver more than 10 years ago and I learned a lot (about how vendors don't always follow specs among other things). At least with USB I wouldn't have to get it right to boot the system...

P2pool tuning guide
Trade BTC for €/$ at bitcoin.de (referral), it's cheaper and faster (acts as escrow and lets the buyers do bank transfers).
Tip: 17bdPfKXXvr7zETKRkPG14dEjfgBt5k2dd
mdude77
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 12:44:31 AM

M

I had 2 separate machines - one connected via the LAN and one via wireless same internet connection, and they both did the same thing. I think it has something to do with a connection drop.

No.  It's been quite a few versions before I had that issue.

M

I mine at Kano's Pool because it pays the best and is completely transparent!  Come join me!
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 12:51:22 AM

No.  It's been quite a few versions before I had that issue.

I removed the libcurl code for stratum in the last cgminer version which fixed quite a few crashes. However I wonder if there's a difference between a simple disconnect and a local IP or routing change.

-ck
pavimus

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 06:36:14 AM

Hi, All! May be someone can give me advice.

I want to run fans on my gpus minimum at 60% for better vrm cooling. I have following settings in my cgminer.conf:

"auto-fan":true,
"gpu-fan":"60-80,60-80,60-80,60-80",
"temp-target" : "69,69,69,69",

In last days weather is relatively cold, and i have following situation:
1) Before starting cgminer, fans run at 50%.
2) I start cgminer, but fans stay run at 50%.
3) when gpu temperature reaches temp-target, cgminer will change fan speed and after this moment it holds fan speed in defined 60%-80% range.

But if weahter is cold and 50% of fan speed is enough to hold gpu temp under temp-target, cgminer don't touches fan speed at all, and fans run all time at speed that was before starting cgminer.

This is correct behavior?

As i understand, workaround is manually set fan speed 60% before start cgminer, but this is not a good solution...

Thanks for help!

PS: cgminer v3.1.1
-ck (OP)
Legendary

Ruu \o/

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 06:50:06 AM

I want to run fans on my gpus minimum at 60% for better vrm cooling. I have following settings in my cgminer.conf:

3) when gpu temperature reaches temp-target, cgminer will change fan speed and after this moment it holds fan speed in defined 60%-80% range.

But if weahter is cold and 50% of fan speed is enough to hold gpu temp under temp-target, cgminer don't touches fan speed at all, and fans run all time at speed that was before starting cgminer.

As i understand, workaround is manually set fan speed 60% before start cgminer, but this is not a good solution...

Thanks for help!

Indeed the startup default is 50% and it does not touch fan speeds until temp is close to range It is a "soft" bug.

-ck
pavimus

Activity: 103
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 07:09:54 AM

Thanks for help!

Indeed the startup default is 50% and it does not touch fan speeds until temp is close to range It is a "soft" bug.

May i hope that this behavior will be fixed in next version's of cgminer, most powerful miner?

Thanks!
chanberg

Activity: 672
Merit: 500

View Profile
May 28, 2013, 04:19:49 PM
Last edit: May 28, 2013, 11:18:17 PM by chanberg

This is a total noob question, but i just recently started mining with Ztex quads on cgminer, and it works flawlessly, but when I try to access the settings while its running I run into problems. If I hit any of the option settings, (S) (P) or whatever, it just goes into a blank terminal screen. Nothing happens, and i cant exit out from it. I know its still mining, but it just chills on a blank terminal. Wondering how i would get back to the main screen, where it all started

Wondering what am I doing wrong?

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2013, 04:24:07 PM

Never mind then

Pages: « 1 ... 468 469 470 471 472 473 474 475 476 477 478 479 480 481 482 483 484 485 486 487 488 489 490 491 492 493 494 495 496 497 498 499 500 501 502 503 504 505 506 507 508 509 510 511 512 513 514 515 516 517 [518] 519 520 521 522 523 524 525 526 527 528 529 530 531 532 533 534 535 536 537 538 539 540 541 542 543 544 545 546 547 548 549 550 551 552 553 554 555 556 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 568 ... 843 »
  Print  

Jump to: